X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tifosi12
    Commander
    • Jul 2020

AD2 pitch controller negatively impacts servo

I have an AD2 pitch controller which works nicely inside my SD using Tower Pro servos. For mechanical reasons I had to swap one out and replace it with a EMax ES08A II servo. Without the AD2 that servo behaves as expected, but once the AD2 is connected, the servo starts to jitter: It erratically moves back and forth to the point that it is useless.

What am I missing?
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Is the jittering servo the one doing pitch control?

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• tifosi12
      Commander
      • Jul 2020

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
      Is the jittering servo the one doing pitch control?

David
      Yes. I might also add that I attached the pitch controller directly to the side of the servo, which worked fine for the previous brand.Are there servos that are better suited for this pitch controller than others?

I was thinking about recalibrating the Pitch controller, but reading the instructions it really is all about matching it with the transmitter/receiver and seems to have little to do with the servo.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by tifosi12

Yes. I might also add that I attached the pitch controller directly to the side of the servo, which worked fine for the previous brand.Are there servos that are better suited for this pitch controller than others?

I was thinking about recalibrating the Pitch controller, but reading the instructions it really is all about matching it with the transmitter/receiver and seems to have little to do with the servo.
        By mechanically bonding the sensor to the servo you've set up a regenerative vibration loop. The gear-grinding of the new servo is just right to exacerbate the pitch-controllers attempt to damp out the vibration. So, now, the tiny vibration of the servos inner workings is the source of your servo response/chatter because of the 'corrective' signals the AD2 is sending that same, poor, defenseless servo. A bad marriage.

You evil person, you!

Get that AD2 mounted on a non-mechanical device or structure, and lower the sensitivity of the unit while you're at it.

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...