X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Das Boot
    Rear Admiral
    • Dec 2019

What Color Would be your guess?

Click image for larger version  Name:	USS_George_Washington_(SSBN-598)_underway_at_sea,_circa_in_the_1970s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.6 KB ID:	150034
    What color would be your guess on the sail, missile area and the anti-foul?
    Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Pacific scheme (likely pre-deployment). Above waterline, Black (lightened slightly to account for scale-effect) on bow and stern, atop sail planes, atop sail, and atop missile deck. On all vertical surfaces above waterline, a very dark gray. Below waterline, anti-foul red (Formula 121). Escape buoys, International Orange. Draft, name, and hull numbers, white.

The Painting Manual called for the dark-gray/black demarcation to be feathered by air-gun (often not available at the tender or SIMA), but in practice we used rollers, so the demarcation line was hard. How this boat was painted I would say it's either during pre-commissioning work-up or just out of a yard overhaul. The oil-canning of the sail plating suggests a post overhaul publicity photo.

David
    Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 05-21-2021, 07:24 AM.
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Das Boot
      Rear Admiral
      • Dec 2019

That’s the color I want for my Skipjack. There aren’t a lot of good color photos available for her.
      Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

Working...