My Neptune's maiden voyage

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Andy's the expert here, but one more tip on how to identify at least the area on the board where you're getting intermittent contact under a bad solder joint:

Get the board out of there, hook it up to the other subsystems and power up. With a dry stick or other pointed, non-conducting item, press on the board till something stops/starts working. Then, in the general area, keep poking around, with lighter pressure till the site of the glitching is identified. Turn off the power, and start re-soldering all connections in the identified area.

As you flexed the board, it caused the bad solder joint to make/break.

This goes back to my ControlAir r/c system kit days when I thought flux was an optional consumable. In the good old days when the 'servo' was rubber band powered.

David,
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Yes that's a good tip.

Also check the really simple stuff first e.g. the wire going from the receiver to the board. Observe what the status LED's on the board are doing, try the board with a servo tester- you could have a bad channel on your receiver.

Comment

• Slats
        Vice Admiral
        • Aug 2008

On the subject of flux, is it better to use the solder's that contain flux, or should we be apply a separate flux?
        J
        John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
        Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Subculture
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

I use resin cored (multicore) solder for most jobs. When soldering heavy gauge wires I tend to add a little extra rosin flux, it helps when tinning the wire and makes it 'wet' out nice.

What you mustn't do is use an acid based flux for wiring and electronics work. That sort of flux will damage your components and wiring, and is only suitable for doing your plumbing jobs or heavy gauge work like railings, soldering up props etc.

There are also water based fluxes, I avoid those, and I avoid the non-lead based soft solders which have a much higher melting point.

Comment

• Albion
            Captain
            • Dec 2008

I know this is a little off topic, but for hard core (pun intended) soldering using Acid flux, i will use Jif, Cif or whatever it is called in your neck off the woods, the abrasive kitchen cleaner stuff, and scrub the joint with a (preferably old) toothbrush, and then rinse with water to ensure all the acid is gone
            Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• Subculture
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

I use green scotch brite pads (synthetic wire wool) and plenty of water- gets everything squeaky clean.

Comment

• Tugrat
                Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                • Jun 2010

Its been a while since i last had a dry joint.

I upgraded my bulky soldering iron to a temperature controlled iron. One in that the temperature dial is not on the wand. A benefit of this is that the wand can be smaller and lighter.

I also have a magnifying lamp so that I can inspect the board for shorts and cracks etc.

I would also check to see that circuit board is double sided in which case one side could be ok and the other the problem.

Comment

• AQUASUB
                  Lieutenant
                  • Nov 2010

I am glad that my SB-2.0 has had zero problems so far and I take her to the limit and offen beyond,but I did get micro cracks in the front and rear plates,not any more since I installed a relief valve.

Dave
                  Great minds discuss ideas;average minds discuss events;small minds discuss people.

President Roosevelt

Comment

• AQUASUB
                    Lieutenant
                    • Nov 2010

Soon I will post all of the mods I have made to this great sub.
                    Great minds discuss ideas;average minds discuss events;small minds discuss people.

President Roosevelt

Comment

• Subculture
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

Any resolution to this yet? Seems to have gone all quiet.

Comment

• Kazzer
                        • Aug 2008

I keep looking at it as I rush by doing a thousand other important jobs.
                        Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

Working...