X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sinksalot
    Commander
    • Mar 2020

My first 195mm Hull part print with my new Elegoo Saturn resin printer

this is my first try at resin printing a lower hull part for a Japanese I class submarine(I-52). It is only my third print with the Saturn. Hull part length, 195mm long. Print took 11 hours. Cool thing about this printer is I can fit two hull parts on the build plate and it will still only take 11 hours for two hull parts. In the picture resin is still dripping off, as part just finished. So some of the hole still have resin till it drips off. After the lower Hull parts are glued together the hull will still need to be wet sanded to make it even smoother, but that is not a biggy.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2293.JPG Views:	0 Size:	50.9 KB ID:	146546
    Last edited by Sinksalot; 01-09-2021, 08:35 PM.
  • tifosi12
    Commander
    • Jul 2020

Nice. Where did you get the 3D model for the I-52?

Comment

• Subculture
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

This one perhaps?

Comment

• Sinksalot
        Commander
        • Mar 2020

Well there are submarine models on at different web sites like thingiverse. However most are just models with no real shell to print. Almost all sub models are made to look at and not to print. I took one of those models and worked on it. Adding all the holes for dive vents on the lower and upper, also all the holes for rudder and dive planes. Also a ton more work, working the model. Basically a lot of work. Here is a picture of the current parts. I also working on a I-400. There is a I-400 on one of the sites, which I printed and sold to someone who wanted a static model. But I decided to make my own I-400, that one is close to being done too.

Please note I am still working on the bow and stern parts.

Click image for larger version  Name:	i-52 sub parts.jpg Views:	0 Size:	62.2 KB ID:	146568
        Last edited by Sinksalot; 01-10-2021, 07:33 PM.

Comment

• Sinksalot
          Commander
          • Mar 2020

Originally posted by Subculture
          Cant remember if it was that exact model as there are differences to the one I started with. For those wondering, I think a 90mm WTC should fit.
          Last edited by Sinksalot; 01-10-2021, 07:37 PM.

Comment

• Sinksalot
            Commander
            • Mar 2020

Ok the drop test is done. Dropped it on concrete from 5 feet spinning it as I dropped it. First 4 drops no damage. 5th drop a chip. then on 8th drop this happen. I dont know if this is good or bad since it took 8 drops on to concrete to break it. So yes the hull is still a little brittle. Saying that, who is going to drop their sub onto concrete.
            overall I am happy with the out come. Who in there right mind throw a piece of hull on to concrete once, let alone 8 time. Well I guess me lol. Also I must say the print came out nice, even the vents on the bottom of the hull. Even know I see i made a mistake in centering the vents on each side of the hull, but still nice. However some people have said for me to make to walls 3 or 4mm thick.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2297.JPG Views:	0 Size:	82.7 KB ID:	146579
            Last edited by Sinksalot; 01-11-2021, 12:48 AM.

Comment

• tifosi12
              Commander
              • Jul 2020

Originally posted by Sinksalot
              Well there are submarine models on at different web sites like thingiverse. However most are just models with no real shell to print. Almost all sub models are made to look at and not to print. I took one of those models and worked on it. Adding all the holes for dive vents on the lower and upper, also all the holes for rudder and dive planes. Also a ton more work, working the model. Basically a lot of work. Here is a picture of the current parts. I also working on a I-400. There is a I-400 on one of the sites, which I printed and sold to someone who wanted a static model. But I decided to make my own I-400, that one is close to being done too.

Please note I am still working on the bow and stern parts.

Click image for larger version Name:	i-52 sub parts.jpg Views:	0 Size:	62.2 KB ID:	146568

Amazing work!

If you consider selling the CAD model at some point, I'm game.

Comment

• RanSan
                Lieutenant
                • May 2020

That answered a question I had about brittleness of resin, thanks. What wall thickness did you print it at? Did you have any issues with it adhering to the plate or removing it? I look forward to seeing you progress.
                Randy

Comment

• Sinksalot
                  Commander
                  • Mar 2020

Originally posted by RanSan
                  That answered a question I had about brittleness of resin, thanks. What wall thickness did you print it at? Did you have any issues with it adhering to the plate or removing it? I look forward to seeing you progress.
                  Randy
                  Wall thickness was 2.5mm. No it adhered to the built plate good and it came off ok after 3 tries, less then 30 sec. A person who resin printed a 212 sub, told me to print the top and bottom in one piece. I going to that, but it will fill the build to its max, with 1/2 a mm left I want to try to keep it at 1/72 scale

Comment

• Sinksalot
                    Commander
                    • Mar 2020

Ok this is my 2nd try at a resin printed 190mm hull section of an 1/72 scale IJN I-52 submarine. But this time top and bottom in one large piece. I messed the ends of the hull part in making the ends thicker. So they printed a little wrong. I maybe able to save this piece by sanding the ends. But other then that it came out good.

Comment

Working...