X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vital.spark
    Commander
    • May 2010

Air Bubbles vs Surface Tension

I opened up some of the slats in my Revell 1:72 VIIC deck to aid in submerging but I noticed in trials that air bubbles didn't escape from these small slats being opened. The bubbles seemed to only escape from the large holes under the conning tower and deck gun hole. I'm wondering if anyone out there has done any testing as to the area a hole has to be before air bubbles will break through the surface tension and escape?
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Those very narrow slots (about 1/16" wide) are worthless as vent channels when you dive the boat (well, they work the first time you diver the boat, before the deck gets wet, after that, the deck might as well be air-tight). The surface tension of water on the deck causes the water to bridge these small openings, preventing further venting.

You can smear an oil bearing grease under the deck, but that's too messy for my tastes.

Don't even bother to open those slots up.

David,
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• vital.spark
      Commander
      • May 2010

David,

What would you use as the minimum diameter of vent holes in your Models?

Myron

Comment

• Subculture
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Aim for 1/8" (3mm) minimum, you can also assist that by countersinking the underside of the hole.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by vital.spark
          David,

What would you use as the minimum diameter of vent holes in your Models?

Myron
          1/8", with a dab of Vaseline underneath and around the hole (smart-ass commentary about hair and other additives not invited from the peanut-gallery!).

On the 1/72 Type-7, you'll find the bollard heads to be about that diameter. Punch those out and you will have adequately venting of the hull.

David,
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...