Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

Taking videos of your submarines

There are many of us who like to video our boats in the water and it is certainly a great help to potential customers when they can see these, - however!

We have no consistency in these videos and many of them are downright boring. They remind me of the joke - Submarine races - and there is a photo of water.

What I intend to do in future is put models I video through some simple steps and hopefully be consistent with the format.

1. Circle in the pool slowly on the surface
    2. Circle the pool slowly under water
    3. Do a figure of eight on surface
    4. Do a figure of eight under water
    5. Do a rapid static dive
    6. Do a rapid dive at speed.

Repeat the process filming under water - or at least film the two dives and a figure of eight underwater.

If there are any other features of the boat, such as torpedoes, then a clip of them in action could be tagged onto the video.

If this became a sort of standard, I think it would make the videos much more interesting and especially helpful to people wishing to purchase certain models.

Would anyone like to add their ten cents worth please?
    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Mike, I think that this would be a great standard or ideal to strive for , however, sometimes , due to circumstances, what you get is all you can get.
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• Outrider
      Commander
      • Aug 2008

The PR types love dramatic surfacing--usually the kind done at speed, but also the kind that involves approaching a target. Not sure how practical either of these are, but Hollywood uses them whenever possible.

My son thought a depth charging or a cruise through a mine field would be good...

Comment

• Rpmtech1
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Dec 2009

Subs are a pain in ass to video, and you're right, its easy to make a booring video of these things! You need lots of camera angles, and underwater as well to make it interesting to watch. Just one guy standing there with a camcorder doesent cut it.

We need to get together and do some pro camera work sometime of all these subs we deal with.
        Last edited by Rpmtech1; 03-19-2011, 09:30 AM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Agreed!......

I would add this as the preamble to Mikes list of shots:

1. with the camera on a tripod or in a set of very steady hands take shots of the assembled model, well lit, on the table as you pan around it with an off-camera narrative of what the subject is, scale, special features, performance, and maintenance issues.

2. Same set-up as above. Removing the models upper hull as your off-camera voice describes the inner workings. Turn on the r/c system and operate it, explaining what does what.

3. Static shot of the assembled submarine as you explain the pre-mission, mission, and post-mission checks unique to that particular r/c model submarine.

4. Tracking shot as you turn on the readied model, take it off the table, proceed to the pool/lake, put it into the water and get it underway.

David,
          Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 03-19-2011, 03:51 PM.
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Merriman
            Agreed!......

I would add this as the preamble to Mikes list of shots:-------------------etc

David,
            OK! It will read like this --

1. with the camera on a tripod or in a set of very steady hands take shots of the assembled model, well lit, on the table as you pan around it with an off-camera narrative of what the subject is, scale, special features, performance, and maintenance issues.

2. Same set-up as above. Removing the model's upper hull as your off-camera voice describes the inner workings. Turn on the r/c system and operate it, explaining what does what.

3. Static shot of the assembled submarine as you explain the pre-mission, mission, and post-mission checks unique to that particular r/c model submarine.

4. Tracking shot as you turn on the readied model, take it off the table, proceed to the pool/lake, put it into the water and get it underway.

5. Circle in the pool slowly on the surface

6. Circle the pool slowly under water

7. Do a figure of eight on surface

8. Do a figure of eight under water

9. Do a rapid static dive

10. Do a rapid dive at speed.

11, Repeat 6, 9 & 10 filming under water.

Does anyone have any more input for videos? Lighting, zoom etc. etc?
            Last edited by Outrider; 03-20-2011, 08:42 AM.
            Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Albion
              Captain
              • Dec 2008

zoom out not in
              use led light or HID, halogens will make it all yellow, but at normal sub operating depths probably don't need anyway
              Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

Working...