Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

My New Underwater Video Camera

I recently purchased a new camera, the DXG 581V HD as my Sony died on me after many years service.

This week, I'm on vacation and wanted to try out the camera in some salty water, with some good sunshine and hopefully, lots of coral and fish. Sadly, the coral and fish seems to be lacking on the north side of Puerto Rico.

So, I've been splashing around snorkelling in a little bay, with nothing good to shoot. However, here are my observations regarding the camera.

1, The unit is small and lightweight. Fits in my pocket easily.
    2. slightly negative buoyancy, let go and down she goes.
    3. The screen is easy to see underwater. A big red dot shows you are recording.
    4. Controls are easy underwater.
    5. Because camera is small, it seems to pick up every vibration or movement.
    6. Colors are clear and sharp. especially in the high res mode, but no zoom available unless you drop to 720p. Then I Found the underwater movie to be grainy.
    7. Downloading to my Mac was simple, and files went directly into Iphoto.
    8. The price was about $!60, 1/3rd what I paid for the Sony and the Sportpak waterproof case.
    9. Unit takes a Smart Card.

For me this camera is ideal. I like not having to mess with the bulky Sportpac. I'd recommend this for any amateur underwater video work!
    Last edited by Kazzer; 03-10-2011, 09:26 PM.
    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!
  • Albion
    Captain
    • Dec 2008

Very neat, what depth is it rated too? Do you think it can be sub mounted?

High performance freedive and spearfishing gear without the dive shop markup

Im about to go for one of these, the LCD screen is now released so you can see what you are shooting, and this dealer is offering a flat front lens for free. The standard port is blurry underwater

So can strap to my Koryu
    bolt onto my mountain bike
    and best of all its 60M rated, so i can take it diving. My current underwater video is 10 years old and showing its age. Sony camera is still working but with moire modern cams out there, and playing back on a HD TV, my video looks really dated now. if i wanted to replace with something similar to what i have now, but in HD, im looking at $2K on a housing. So gonna have a play with this.
    Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• Kazzer
      • Aug 2008

I don't think these cameras with screens are good for mounting on submarines because they are big, bulky and upset the trim, meaning a lot of messing.

However, this little puppy is, I think, the best camcorder I've seen for a submarine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Actioncam.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	61408

Dimensions: 100 mm (length) x 55 mm (height)
      Has a micro card inside, LED lights and the picture is good enough for web video like Youtube.

On its downside, I found the USB connection poorly soldered to the motherboard. I have another waiting for me to try out at home and if it were simply a 'one-off' **** poor solder job, then we'll not worry. If it was a design fault, a gob of epoxy over the port would give it more purchase in the frame and resolve the problem.

I'm hoping to stock these - price about $70 - maybe less.
      Last edited by Kazzer; 03-10-2011, 10:43 PM.
      Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

Working...