X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dandyfunk
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Jun 2020

Introductions

Hello all, My name is Breck Lietz and I am a long time builder of all things scale. I was just turned on to your site by a fellow club member after showing off a recent purchase. I bought a 32nd Parallel what I believe to be a Type IX U boat. Unfortunately the hull came with 32nd scale Type VII plans. This is what has sent my to your site. First off, I am not well rounded in the submarine world and need conformation that in fact the hull is a type IX and if it is than maybe a source for a set of plans. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! This will be the largest boat build for me. My last big build was the Italian battleship Roma in 1/144th. I hope to be able to hang around and learn. Thanks in advance Dandyfunk.
  • Davidh
    Captain
    • Nov 2010

Hello Breck,

It certainly looks like a type IX. It is certainly not a type VII. The type VII had very distinct saddle tanks. The type IX is a more conventional shape and lends itself more easily to modelling as it doesn't have the complex curves of the seven.

That's a big hull. I believe that 32nd parallel did solid glass work. That boat should turn out really nicely.

David H

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

Welcome aboard Breck! I also believe it is a Type IX as well.
      ‘Let me check to see if I have anything you can use for -land.
      Peace,
      tom
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Dandyfunk
        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
        • Jun 2020

Thanks Tom, David, Now the hunt for plans!!

Comment

• a1965l
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Apr 2020

This is a 1/48 type IX hull, it certainly looks like what you have.

Click image for larger version

Name:	D7K_6136-X4.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	140494

"It does not take so many words to speak the truth" Chief Joseph

Comment

Working...