• SteveNeill
    Commander
    • Apr 2020

Outstanding. Keep it up sailor!

Comment

• Das Boot
      Rear Admiral
      • Dec 2019

RCJetDude, I have the same setup as far as the 2.5/3/2.5. Question, your servos appear to be on the bottom of the module instead of the top. Is that correct? I’ve never seen that done before. Is it easier to do it that way for your particular boat? Thanks.
      Last edited by Das Boot; 07-21-2020, 03:47 PM.
      Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• Das Boot
        Rear Admiral
        • Dec 2019

Originally posted by rwtdiver
        While I am here I will share my first hull part on the LA Class Attack Sub! I have the stern completed. I wanted to start on the stern so that I can work on how I will install the control linkages. It's going to be fun! not much room to work with. But as they say "No pain No gain!:-))

I will be printing this Sub from stern to bow! More coming!

Rob

"Firemen can stand the heat"
        Are you by chance a ham radio op? I noticed the receiver and looks like QRP transmitters.

Comment

• Das Boot
          Rear Admiral
          • Dec 2019

Well, I’ve read and looked at all 15 pages of these builds. I can, without a doubt say, that I hate all of you. Especially you, Rob. Seriously though, I can’t paint, scratch build or play anything but a record player. You guys are a credit to the hobby. At one time I thought rc subs were dead after the unfortunate semi-demise of an organization I used to belong to. However, I see it’s stronger than ever. Rock on,

Casey

Comment

• SubDude
            Captain
            • Dec 2019

Originally posted by Das Boot
            RCJetDude, I have the same setup as far as the 2.5/3/2.5. Question, your servos appear to be on the bottom of the module instead of the top. Is that correct? I’ve never seen that done before. Is it easier to do it that way for your particular boat? Thanks.
            That is just the way it worked out for me. It could be set up either way.

Comment

• Das Boot
              Rear Admiral
              • Dec 2019

Originally posted by RCJetDude

That is just the way it worked out for me. It could be set up either way.
              If it works then great. I looked at it too once.

Comment

• Das Boot
                Rear Admiral
                • Dec 2019

Thank you Casey,

I have not even scratched the surface as to all there is to learn about this hobby! There are some real craftsman on this forum, and any tidbit of knowledge I have gained is a credit to these fine people and the help they have extended me along the way!!

Rob

You a ham?

Comment

• Das Boot
                  Rear Admiral
                  • Dec 2019

Thank you Casey,

I have not even scratched the surface as to all there is to learn about this hobby! There are some real craftsman on this forum, and any tidbit of knowledge I have gained is a credit to these fine people and the help they have extended me along the way!!

Rob

David already has a big head, hush.

Comment

• frozenottsel
                    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                    • Jun 2020

Hello everyone, I've been lurking around this thread for a while now, but I finally decided a few weeks ago to have my try at a 3D printed submarine.

I modeled my own Virginia Class sub to about 1/100 scale, here's some quick pictures of the test fitting :D

Click image for larger version

Name:	1 - ojCbs2P.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	142120Click image for larger version

Name:	4 - dy7TseK.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	142119Click image for larger version

Name:	3 - tUFvLCH.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	142118
                    Attached Files

Comment

• frozenottsel
                      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                      • Jun 2020

frozenottsel

Looks very good! Did you do your own CAD work on this Sub? If so what CAD design system are you using? My LA Class Sub was from Nautilus Drydocks and the file he has for sale! Are you going to design your own SD/WTC for this build!

Got to love 3D Printed Submarines!!!

Rob

Hello Rob,

Yes, I did my own cad work for this sub using SolidWorks and I do intend to design my own WTC for this build.

I'm super excited about how it's coming along, and I'm already beginning to imagine what else I could try my hand at :D

Andrew

Comment

• SubDude
                        Captain
                        • Dec 2019

Interesting construction. Are the parts vacuum formed?

Comment

• SubDude
                          Captain
                          • Dec 2019

I have started the LA class boat but printing it at 1/72nd scale which makes it a 5.5" beam and just over 60" long.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200727_101400.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	142312
                          Again using PLA+. I am hoping the MSD in the Redoutable will also work in it too. I will see...

Steve

Comment

• george
                            Captain
                            • Dec 2010

Is the VII C file your creation OR did you find it somewhere?
                            Thanks for sharing your build/collection.

Comment

• frozenottsel
                              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                              • Jun 2020

Update on my Virginia model.

Gluing is done (with exception for the tailpiece where the rudder and stern plane axles with go), hold-down screw inserts are in (note to self: in the future, design the holes for the inserts into the model, it'll be easier than drilling the holes), and I've finished a first pass of sanding :D

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2897.jpg Views:	0 Size:	92.1 KB ID:	142486 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2901.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	142488

Really starting to come together now :D
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by frozenottsel; 08-02-2020, 12:58 PM. Reason: Edit: Added second (side view) picture

Comment

• substandard
                                Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                                • Jun 2020

This could probably also be posted in the "Silly Questions from Newbies" but here she goes"
                                The part that bothers me about 3D printing subs with filament being what it is; is the durability in hot weather of the printed sub. (Subs are usually black - doah!).

What about 3D printing a sub as thin as reasonably possible and then laying up a layer or two of glass on top of it so its more durable and lasts in the sun?
                                Would that produce a durable and "good" final product?
                                For extra rigidity a glass layer could also be added on the sub inside after printing.

If this works it would allow for all of the benefits of 3D printing (accuracy, straight lines, less mess, less dust,less physical work etc) without a lot of the downsides of doing fiberglass molding work (making plug, crooked lines, sanding, sanding and more sanding etc)

What do you think?

Comment

Working...