X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

A little project I am working on - Piston WTC

I have been working on a piston WTC and getting close to a test. Working on wiring. The cylinder is 3.5" and the piston is 2.5" with a 6" stroke. The overall length will be about 19" +/--ish
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Piston_001.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	136327

Name:	3_5_Piston_002.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	136328
    I will be running NiMh, but in future tube (providing this works at all, I will try other types of batteries.

If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
  • MFR1964
    Detail Nut of the First Order
    • Sep 2010

And you call this a LITTLE project, don't want to know how much time is used for designing and building this contraption.
    I do have a question, how will you manage the pressure which this type will create?, thinking more at which feedtroughs you can use to contain the pressure within the WTC, i will watch and learn.

Manfred.
    I went underground

Comment

• Subculture
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Pressure should only rise by about 2.5-3psi, seals should cope with that without any complaint. Had WTC's with recirculating compressed air run at double that pressure without issue with the seals. I would beef up the gears on the tank though if they're resin. Also consider making them herringbone pattern, which will be stronger and they run quiet.

Comment

• Bob Gato
        Captain
        • Feb 2019

Nice! How are you doing the limit switching?...micro switches? maybe hall effect devices?

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

Manfred, the motor has cup seals facing opposite directions. pushrods are simple o-rings. No guarantees until test time. That being said, it is what others have used so we will see.
          Andy, using resin is also part of the experiment. If resin does not work well, I will cast it in brass and try again.
          Bob, thank you, it is using micro switches for limiting the end travel and hall sensor for proportional travel.

This is a fun exercise for the brain.
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Subculture
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by trout
            Andy, using resin is also part of the experiment.
            Others have already got arrows in their backside with this, so no real need to experiment. Look at Ron P's tanks- he uses very deep resin cast gears, and they're helical pattern which gives more strength although does impart an axial load, which is why I suggested a herringbone pattern as they cancel out any axial thrust.

it's up to you of course, but bear in mind you tend to find a weakness at the most inconvenient time e.g. when at the bottom of a lake.

Name:	11164742_982244818452735_8940964048137394548_o.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	136341

Comment

• trout
              Admiral
              • Jul 2011

Andy, duly noted!

Comment

• Bob Gato
                Captain
                • Feb 2019

Originally posted by trout
                Manfred, the motor has cup seals facing opposite directions. pushrods are simple o-rings. No guarantees until test time. That being said, it is what others have used so we will see.
                Andy, using resin is also part of the experiment. If resin does not work well, I will cast it in brass and try again.
                Bob, thank you, it is using micro switches for limiting the end travel and hall sensor for proportional travel.

This is a fun exercise for the brain.

...And that would be what- answering all the questions being asked or scratch fabricating a ballast system?

Comment

• trout
                  Admiral
                  • Jul 2011

LOL.....I did not think that statement through, working on a ballast system. Actually, this hobby as a whole is really great for keeping the noggin working.

Comment

Working...