X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • secrtwpn
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Feb 2012

Lipo battery

I don’t run my Lipo batteries down to zero. But, should I discharge them anyway before I charge them?

Thanks,

Farlan
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by secrtwpn
    I don’t run my Lipo batteries down to zero. But, should I discharge them anyway before I charge them?

Thanks,

Farlan
    No.

Why?

Internet search.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

Running a LiPo to zero will destroy them and if you think your cute and try to revive it, fire can result.
      Been there, done that.
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Subculture
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

For longest life, you should use the batteries between 30-80% of their full capacity.

Letting them run too low tends to trigger a safety fuse inside the cell, preventing it from over discharging. Charging them up to full every time stresses them, shortening life cycle considerably- most lipo cells will start to show measurable loss after just 100 cycles when used this way- ever notice your mobile (cell) phone starts to run out quicker after a year or so (maybe less if you're a real heavy user)?

Most charger their phones every two or three days. so around the hundred cycle mark, and most always charge them to 100%

LiFePO4 batteries are the way to go for subs. Much safer and much tougher. They are a bit lower in energy density (hence why they don't tend to be used by the flyers), and cost a little bit more upfront, but as the cycle life is more than twice that of Lipo, you will get your money back. They also have an extraordinary shelf life of around 15 years.

Lithium Werks (sic) formerly A123 is the best make of liFePO4.

Comment

• Bob Gato
          Captain
          • Feb 2019

The real problem with submarines and Lipos is that many owners like to charge their batteries in the sub-No Bueno..if you get a runaway battery...you'll be looking for a new sub! (and I would consider that a pretty expensive fireproof charging containment bag!)-make them easily removable..

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Bob Gato
            The real problem with submarines and Lipos is that many owners like to charge their batteries in the sub-No Bueno..if you get a runaway battery...you'll be looking for a new sub! (and I would consider that a pretty expensive fireproof charging containment bag!)-make them easily removable..
            Damned good point. And can't be made often enough. These chemical batteries are energy storage devices. As are hand grenades and anti-personnel mines. Treat them all with the same level of respect.

David
            Machines Don't Care
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

Any battery charged inside a sealed container has the capacity to become a potential grenade. Under extreme conditions it could also happen when being discharged, which is one important reason why I always recommend fitting fuses on a boat, but I know many model submariner refuse to fit them owing to concerns of nuisance blowing, which is total nonsense. Fuses rarely fail unless something is wrong or they're poorly rated.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
                Any battery charged inside a sealed container has the capacity to become a potential grenade. Under extreme conditions it could also happen when being discharged, which is one important reason why I always recommend fitting fuses on a boat, but I know many model submariner refuse to fit them owing to concerns of nuisance blowing, which is total nonsense. Fuses rarely fail unless something is wrong or they're poorly rated.
                And if your fear is loosing all power to a 'blown' fuse stranding your boat on the surface or submerged then use a thermally actuated-resetting type and you won't have to go swimming -- Skip Asay came up with use of such fusing decades ago.

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

I know them as polyfuses, some call them polyswitches. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resettable_fuse

Comment

• Bob Gato
                    Captain
                    • Feb 2019

Yes , they're cheap enough and can be found in any auto parts store and in high enough amp ratings for any sub...google auto reset circuit breaker..

Comment

• Robbert de Rouw
                      Ensign
                      • Dec 2019

As I am also a RC scaler/crawler owner, I only work with Lipo bateries.
                      Don't discharge the too far when using them and when done and charge them with the "storage" function on your charger, this way they will be charged or discharged to about 60%.
                      Don't charge them fully before storage!

There is a lot to be found on the web regarding best practices when working with Lipo's.

Robbert

Comment

Working...