X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

Gas for Submarine Ballast Systems

GAS! WE CAN’T GET ENOUGH!

There are hundreds of model submarines that depend entirely of Propel gas to blow their ballast tanks. Carrying an on-board supply of gas allows the ballast tank to be blown several times before returning to refill the tanks.

Since the advent of the Snort system, total dependence on gas has been greatly reduced. However, Propel is expensive and ‘the hobby’ has been looking for cheaper sources for some time.

The small BBQ and blow torch tanks (see below)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	gas1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	100725
    are that alternative source, but finding the right connector between tank and Sub-driver on-board tank has placed this inexpensive source of gas out of sub-drivers reach.

After over a year’s research, Mike Caswell finally hunted down the connectors.

On the left of the photo above, we have the connector that fits onto the larger BBQ propane tanks. It allows you to fill these small blowtorch/portable BBQ tanks from a bulk source.

Available from Mr. Heater Inc www.mrheater.com
    Product code F276172

On the right, -

Name:	gas2.jpg
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	100726
    The Marshall DisposableCylinder Adapter
    This adapter has the standard UNEF 1”-20 thread to fit the bottle, and a 1/4” NPT thread to fit a standard Female Tire Chuck.

www.marshallgas.com product code G-488P

Name:	gas3.jpg
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	100727
    This is a standard 1/4” NPT Female Tire Chuck. Available at most good hardware stores.

Just a reminder for those who worry. Propel is a mix of propane and butane, camping gas is propane, so similar precautions must be observed for this alternative source.
    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

So using straight propane will provide the same results? Cool. Are you going to be selling them or do I have to contact Marshallgas?
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• tsenecal
      Lieutenant
      • Dec 2009

I haven't used propel in a long time, because it also contains lubricants that can gum up other parts of the sub, but i don't think propel is a mix of propane and butane, it may have started that way, but not currently.

I could be following a completely bogus thread, but doing a simple google search, you will find sites that claim the primary ingredient in propel, and most gas based dusters or other "air in a can" type products is "Tetrafluoroethane". this is a refrigerant used primarily in automobile A/C systems that is about to be banned in california for sale to individuals, because it supposedly contributes to climate change. I would hate for someone to think propane or butane is perfectly acceptable as a replacement, only for a spark from a brushed motor to cause a minor explosion 3 feet below the surface, and result in a loss of a few hundred dollars worth of work.

a link to the stuff i use, note this is the "refill" canister with a threaded top, not a trigger top:
      Last edited by tsenecal; 02-17-2011, 09:02 PM.

Comment

• Kazzer
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by tsenecal
        a link to the stuff i use, note this is the "refill" canister with a threaded top, not a trigger top:
        http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/...e3f09721f5c214

We have an account with these guys, so I'm getting a price etc. today. Good catch!

The thread size on this unit is UNEF 7/16-28 Compliments of www.britishfasteners.com
        Last edited by Kazzer; 02-18-2011, 10:15 PM.

Comment

• Kazzer
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by greenman407
          So using straight propane will provide the same results? Cool. Are you going to be selling them or do I have to contact Marshallgas?

No, we weren't going to sell these. You'd have to get them directly.

Comment

• Kazzer
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Kazzer
            We have an account with these guys, so I'm getting a price etc. today. Good catch!

The thread size on this unit is UNEF 7/16-28 Compliments of www.britishfasteners.com
            The adapter for our Paache can will fit the Superduster unit

Name:	pp2.jpg
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	61078Click image for larger version

Name:	pp1.jpg
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	61079

Comment

• greenman407
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

Doing a little research on the stuff "tsenecal" suggested. The website he linked us to says that it is R-134a refrigerent which is the same as propel. The efforts to ban it are growing but as of yet the small cans have not yet been affected. It is currently being used as a propellent in dust off cans for your computer and in airsoft guns and in inhallers for asthma. Its saturday and I tried to call them but they are closed. Ill try them again on monday. They say on their website that the price continues to go up. The can that they offer is 10 oz. I buy that same size can of propell at the hobby store for $9.00. How much cheaper can they be to make it worth the effort? Ill find out Monday. They also offer a can of R-152 but with a permanent plastic valve on top. Perhaps it can be removed and perhaps it has the same threads but I doubt it. They also say that it is flammable in the liquid state but that its much cheaper.

Comment

• greenman407
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

I checked at the auto parts store and 12 oz. of R-134a is now up to $12.99 for the store brand.

Comment

• greenman407
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

MG Chemicals says that they wont sell to us smucks directly, we have to go thru a distributor. Caswell?

Comment

• Kazzer
                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by greenman407
                    MG Chemicals says that they wont sell to us smucks directly, we have to go thru a distributor. Caswell?

Yes, I am a new distributor, working on photo-etch etc. But why sell this material? It's more expensive than the Paasche stuff I sell now! I certainly don't want two similar products in inventory.

Comment

Working...