X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Slats
    Vice Admiral
    • Aug 2008

Key chain video camera

One of the things I don't like about the Oregon cam I have is its size. It looks ungainly strapped on a sub hull, and its weight means re-trimming the boat. I am on the look out for something smaller, by that I mean something that after water proofing can be placed say with in the sail to provide recording. Anyone got any ideas how this might be waterproofed?..... Looks small enough to fit within a sub's sail. in fact it might even fit in the new SW sail with the camera lense directed through the horn / whistle at the front. I have a DSRV in 1/72 I am building and can see it fitting in there no trouble, again the oregon cam is too big for that application.

Key chain video camera

Mike, I think this might be the type of video camera that Oztruck users..(Oztruck jump in)
    see here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBzktO0nl_E

This looks like a nice size to fit inside a sub conning tower - I understand from the TF72 website Oztruck uses a "Tictac box" to keep it dry. Again Oztruck jump in and show us how you do it?

Best
    John
    Last edited by Slats; 01-31-2011, 08:59 PM.
    John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
    Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic
  • pjdog
    Commander
    • Apr 2009

Hello John:

I got this camera and movie camera from Nitro planes. Cost $ 19.90 US. It requires a micro chip for operation. I believe my chip is 8g. As you can see it's real small. Very light. Not real sure how you would water proof it. Takes great movies. I attach it you my RC 450 B400 helicopter or attach it to my hat to record the helicopter. It might work as a sub camera?

Jack
    Attached Files

Comment

• Slats
      Vice Admiral
      • Aug 2008

Thanks-

when you say micro chip do you mean memory card?
      Also does it plug into you computer via USB connection / cable?
      Thanks

John
      John Slater

Sydney Australia

Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Subculture
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

I have quite a bit of experience with these 808 keychain cams.

They are NOT all equal, and there are to date eleven different versions which all differ in one respect or other.

This site has exhaustive information on these cams-

The best versions are numbers 3 and 11. Number three version is standard definition 720x480 (30 fps), which is a non standard resolution (should be 640x480), and if you play this back natively on a computer, the image will be distorted slightly, e.g. a circle would look slightly elipsoid- make sense? You can quickly and easily correct this with a free software application called Virtualdub.

The video records using MJPEG compression to a micro SD card, the data rate is high, about double that of the Actioncam (which also uses MJPEG). This gives much better image quality than the ATC cams, but as a consequence, the higher data rate means you must use a class 4 micro SD card or higher. Fortunately these are dirt cheap now. 4GB will give you about an hour of footage.

The camera records the time and date on the lower right hand of the image. You can now remove this by performing a firmware update, which is relatively straightforward.

The version 11 cam has only just been released, and is 720P HD (30fps), with a 16:9 aspect ratio. Unlike the version 3, the camera doesn't distort the aspect of the image, and picture resolution is much higher. This camera also has a much wider field of view.

The camera uses H264 compression, which is much more sophisticated than MJPEG and allows the high definition footage to be condensed into a smaller packet rate than the version 3 cam. Consequently a 4GB card will allow about an hour and twenty minutes of footage. A class 4 micro SD card is adequate for this camera.

On the downside the battery only lasts for about 40 minutes, also the focus of the lens on these models seems to be aimed more at close-up work rather than set to infinity.

In addition the version 11 cam, being somewhat more sophisticated, costs about four times that of the version 3.

Like the version 3, the camera records date and time in the lower right of the image. Also like the version 3 , you can switch this off with a firmware update.

Being HD and H264 compression, you will need a good computer to get smooth playback.

Expect to pay about £7-8 for a version 3 and about £26-27 for a version 11 cam.

All cameras can interface via a USB cable. Be aware that some people have experienced problems with some of the USB cables supplied with the cameras. I use a known good cable with all my cams.

These prices are from ebay vendors, and I know reliable ones.

These cameras are very small, but they're a bit broad across the beam (1.25" approx) to fit into many sails, although as you tend to go for larger scales, you may just get away with it. They only weigh about half an ounce, so weight isn't an issue.

Fitting it inside a 1/72 DSRV may just go. Will have to check one of my 808 cams to confirm dimensions, but a DSRV is what 8ft wide according to wikipedia (not always accurate) so that's 1.33", might just go if you have a thin GRP body.

A tic-tac box, is a rather unreliable enclosure IMO. I have made some masters for a teardrop shaped torpedo type enclosure custom designed for these cams, with a radial seal. About half the wetted area of the actioncam, so much less drag and displacement.

A much more reliable 'quick and dirty' enclosure for these cams is a small pop bottle. Cut a hole in the cap, and stick a clear piece of perspex on with some silicone rtv rubber. Some instuctions on something similar at the chucklohr website.

Fashion a small tray for the camera to sit on, and fix the camera to inside of the cap. The seal on these bottle is designed to seal against pressure, so will make a reliable watertight seal.

Anyway, if you're still interested let me know and I can probably sort you out with either of these cams, and fix the firmware update too. Custom enclosures will be available shortly on a limited basis.

Andy
        Last edited by Subculture; 02-01-2011, 05:23 AM. Reason: fixed webpage link

Comment

• oztruck
          Commander
          • May 2010

Hi guys, Yes the camera I used is a 808 Key chain mini spy camera. It's a #3 and I got if off ebay, same as this one

As you can see they are not expensive and although not the best picture it is still very good for the price.

The better the SD card the better they work, Only get a 4 GB because that is all the battery can record before going flat.

I use a converted small TicTak box as a dry area for the camera and when set up correctly is a very stable platform to work from.

So you start with one of these

Then go out and buy a small packet of TicTaks and eat the contents. After it is empty and the label removed it should look like this

When empty open up the box and push out the small round section in the bottom of the clear part, clean the edges and give it a good clean. Cut a small piece of 3mm thick clear sheet to fit on the outside of the bottom of the area where you just made the hole. I secured mine with some silicon being careful not to get any on the area where the hole is. (don't want to spoil the view) This is what it should look like.

Next you will need some lead, a small piece of cardboard and a wide rubber band.

Place the camera in the new camera case, put the lid on and run some tape over the joins to make it water proof. Put some water in the sink and trim the camera case so that it is just a bit positive. (just in case it falls overboard) I used lead because that is all that I had on hand. Now check your work, charge the camera(no longer than 2 hours) Install SD card put the lead around the camera then I put a small piece of cardboard in the case under where the camera will sit (I use it as a safety zone just in case any water gets past my seal) it will soak up any moisture. Turn the camera on then. Put the lid on and tape it up and try it out of the water and then in the water.
          When ALL is well it is time for sea trials. This is where the rubber band will come in to play.

The boat was in the water for over an hour and a half, every where from the surface to the bottom of the lake. doing high speed runs above and below and at the end of the day it had about 3 1/2 drops of water on the cardboard.

The uses and where and how you mount them is only limited to your imagination. They are well worth the financial investment.
          Last edited by oztruck; 02-01-2011, 06:00 AM. Reason: Left a bit out

Comment

• Slats
            Vice Admiral
            • Aug 2008

Chris - I love it. Thanks for sharing.
            J
            John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Slats
              Vice Admiral
              • Aug 2008

Andy I flick you a PM tomorrow. Thanks

J
              John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• pjdog
                Commander
                • Apr 2009

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04842.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	60903Hello John:

Sorry - I fell asleep on this post. Yes - The camera has a usb plug into the computer. I has a sandisk that goes in the side. The Micro SD is the real expense. I think it was $ 39.95. The camera was only $ 19.95. Works great.

Plugging into the computer's USB port is also the way to charge the camera's battery

Comment

• Subculture
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

$40 for a 4Gb memory card is rather expensive.

When and where did you buy that? 4Gb class 4 micro SD are about £1 per gigabyte. I use Kingston brand which I have found to be consistently reliable.

Andy

Comment

• pjdog
                    Commander
                    • Apr 2009

$ 39.95 (US) for 8g Sand Disk Micro SD. Got it at Office Depot. Slidell, Louisiana.

Jack

Comment

• Subculture
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

Recommend you try ebay next time. e.g. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4GB-Transflash...item43a4e5e88e

Comment

• tsenecal
                        Lieutenant
                        • Dec 2009

if you buy online, you don't even need to go that far to beat office "despots" prices... places like that nickel and dime you to death on the "accessories" by drawing you in with great deals on the primary stuff.

I have bought dozens of times from this outfit, with excellent results, and there is a texas store a few hundred miles from you so if you order from them, shipping shouldn't be too expensive, nor should it be to slow.

4gb
                        Get answers to your questions about order status, product information, returns, account questions, business sales, and so much more. We offer several forms of help including community support, chat, email.

8gb
                        Get answers to your questions about order status, product information, returns, account questions, business sales, and so much more. We offer several forms of help including community support, chat, email.

Comment

Working...