Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Bob, I found after attending many of these, the better description for me is awe-struck. My main focus is to see where we are going trend-wise and how can I apply that in our education environment. I will report anything fun and hobby related for us.
    Andy, while I agree that at the moment there is nothing earth shattering for the consumer side, there are better resolution advances announced frequently. On the commercial side, that technology will bleed into the consumer side so there is a win-win created as the technology gets better.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Subculture
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Hence my statement of 'smaller improvements'. FDM and PLA tech has reached a point where it is now very accurate, and it will be very difficult to find any significant improvement. Costs have also been driven down to pretty much the price of parts e.g. you're no longer paying for intellectual property. It will require different processes to move things much beyond what we have, but IMO, consumer machines emulating some of the big stuff are some way off, if they ever appear at all. Consumer printing has not been the hoped for success commercially, which is why the companies have redirected efforts towards industry, education and health sectors.

I'm aware of companies like Markforged, Rise etc. which have some innovative machines, but I don't really consider $2-3000+ printers consumer machines, that's semi-pro level.

HP have a couple of machines appearing early next year, the 300 and 500 models. These were announced earlier in 2018, and are full colour printers priced around the $50000 mark. Not exactly cheap, but a third of the cost of their sole previous mono colour model, and I would guess the sort of machine that will appeal to education departments.

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

Here at work we already use the Jet Fusion type printers. Ours is the 3DSystems ProJet 660Pro. Does color. HP may be able to make the resolution better, but even this machine is using HP 11 print cartridges. Anyway, in a short time I will get more information. I may bring along the I-401 (or a portion of it) and see what can be done OR bring a Gato sail?
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Subculture
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

HP system is faster and higher resolution, and AFAIK the binding agent they use is exclusive. The polymer powders aren't anything special AFAIK..

Comment

Working...