X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oztruck
    Commander
    • May 2010

Japanese sub

Hi, looking for any information or photos of the torpedo tubes on a WWII IJN B2 class.
    Did they have doors?, caps?, flaps?. Cant find any clear photos of the real thing.
    I have got some blue prints but they don't show enough detail and a couple of photos are fuzzy. Need to know so I can get started on my Lindberg monster.
    Cheers Chris
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Everything that I have seen on WW2 Japanese subs is blurry or doesnt show the tubes. If I come across anything Ill holler.
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Click image for larger version

Name:	I-53planfromsubsim.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	60835How's this, Hope it helps answer. Thanks to Herrmill on this one.
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• oztruck
        Commander
        • May 2010

Thanks Boss. I found a good photo but to my eyes it is hard to tell exactly what they looked like.

Then I found another one. I don't like to model a model because it might compound a mistake and turn guess work into "the way it should be"
        Any thoughts on this. It's a 1/48 scale "B"

Last edited by oztruck; 01-22-2011, 03:39 AM. Reason: Changed photo

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

I think the model was done by 'Ramish'. And he got it right -- but made a slight concession to make the weapon system practical.

Here's my guess as to function: the Japanese favored a muzzle door that was capped by a bulbous fairing that usually projected past the plating (hence the faring aft of the muzzle door), that cap and muzzle door swinging 90-degrees into the after end of the shutter door well. Attached to the cap is the pivoted connection point between cap and after end of the shutter door. The shutter door carried forward and inboard as the cap transitioned from closed to open.
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...