X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • secrtwpn
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Feb 2012

D&E 2.5" cylinder

I am attempting to build my 2.5" D&E cylinder. Attached is a photo of a part. Can someone identify the reasoning with the float and what the proper angle is? Any in-progress photos would be appreciated.

Thanks you, Farlan......
  • bwi 971
    Captain
    • Jan 2015

It is called a gas saver.

In this link you can find picture of it without any bends in it.

https://forum.sub-driver.com/forum/t...5-standard-wtc

THE 'GAS SAVER' UNIT
    A unique feature of the ballast system is a 'gas saver linkage disconnect'. Fancy words to describe a device, worked by a float, that disengages the actuation arm when the ballast tank is dry, stopping the discharge of Propel gas during the blow, greatly increasing the number of blows between charging. This device alone has increased the number of blows available from a single charge by about 30%!
    The ballast system servo operates a 1/8" rod which extends into the wet side of the ballast tank bulkhead. The end of the push-pull rod is threaded to take 6-32 nuts which sandwich the bottom end of the actuation arm. The two nuts are adjusted to set the distances the actuation arm travels to actuate the vent and blow valves.

Unquote

Link to the manual

Link to a Youtube video from Bob were you can see it working starts @ 3.37 min.

This is a quick overview of the repair and functionality of a D&E Miniatures 3.5" diameter watertight cylinder for use in a remote controlled submarine model.

Grtz,
    Bart
    Last edited by bwi 971; 11-18-2017, 07:16 PM. Reason: add more info
    Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
    "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Thanks, Bart.

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• bwi 971
        Captain
        • Jan 2015

You’re welcome, thought you were still recovering from playing the "The Six Million Dollar Man" so I stepped in.

You Steve Austin you

Grtz,
        Bart
        Last edited by bwi 971; 11-18-2017, 08:10 PM.
        Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
        "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• secrtwpn
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Feb 2012

Wow! Thanks for all the info guys. It clears up a lot of questions. Next question. What do you use attach the top of the propellant bottle to the cylinder? Mine did not come with any nuts. I went to a hardware store and they did not have any fittings that would work..........

Comment

• secrtwpn
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Feb 2012

Duh.... Never mind.....I figured it out with the extra strap...

Comment

Working...