X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AQUASUB
    Lieutenant
    • Nov 2010

Wireless Telemetry The Best Way To Monitor Your RC Sub

Wireless Telemetry once was untouchable to the general public in both cost and complexity.
    Now with modern systems and technology we can enjoy the full spectrum of advances and capabilities not heard of before.

Rc Subs I don't care what anybody says should have a reliable means to monitor even the most basic parameters like power usage and temperatures especially if one is using Lipos,they are damaged easily if not stopped in use from reaching certain voltages,with Telemetry that is easy by simply entering the voltage trigger alarm,when it beeps its time to bring her in.
    Another neat thing is a water alarm also audible.

Some answers now ,how deep can it transmit,well I have been using it in the city pond that has probably allot of contaminants and run off junk in it and the range is about 5 ft deep and at a good distance from the shore,it gets much better when the sub is on the surface as the range then is several hundred yards!

Now one can reliably take there sub out on a cold winterly day and not fear to much nor be to apprehensive about the power levels or leakage or even how deep the sub is going,that last one is truly amazing,by utilizing the Altimeter sensor in reverse or negative pressure because water pressure acts on the sensor that way it reads out in feet or CM or meters as desired in numbers that can be directly related to a change in depth,immediately and with super high resolution to I would say to the mm!
    That is just to cool and really helps at periscope depth also alarms can be set for going too deep,nice way to keep out of the weeds in murky waters.

Also say you should get into the weeds and the prop or props get tangled,the indicator for voltage or amps used will go up and again settable alarms,every single important parameter or sensor is alarm settable to its individual sound so that you do not have to look at the dashboard,the readout on the TXs antenna you just hear it and know what it is.
    Remember this system was made for Hilis and Air Craft fliers and man I know that is very intensive stuff I had them all.
    So don't think you will be overwhelmed by the bells and whistles it is very simple to use and to install.
    I installed mine in the XXI today it took me not even 15 minutes to hook it all up and another 10 to program it on my laptop,the soft wear is superb and easy to use.
    Even the combined readouts can be seen on any video system with another unit installed.
    What I have done is to monitor the right motors temperature the same side ESC temp and prop RPMs along with the entire subs electrical usage,one can monitor just say the one motor electrical input but by simply installing the "ring" sensor at the negative or positive main power leads ,there is no splicing by the way its a hall effect sensor,sweet indeed,the entire sub is covered,how because as say a pump comes on the power comes from one place and as one uses other systems it simply increases its digital read outs,even accumulated mahs are displayed.

Lots of these important parameters can be displayed in either classic Gage or in a large digital readout on your laptop,but while in Dashboard mode only in digital Read outs with 3 letter tags you set up individually say "MTA" or motor temperature A,the screen has 8 different screens to set up as you like and if there is an alarm it automatically goes to that screen and beeps!

One might say well we have to much alClick image for larger version

Name:	Flight-Full%20copy.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	100565ready to worry about or its to complicated not so,it simplifies and spells out what is going on in the sub no guesses or hoping that the thingClick image for larger version

Name:	OSD-Pro-screen-notext.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	100564 is charged,it can even be set up to read the pressure remaining in a gas ballast system no need to worry ,does she have enough gas to make itClick image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0006 (3).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	100563 to the surface.
    Now those are important things no mater what the weather is like when in the water,its like a pilot flying blind no instrumenClick image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.jpg
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	100562ts at all man is he in for it,or a fully digitized instrument panel right there at your fingertips,all of these great things are assessable noClick image for larger version

Name:	Sea-Upg.jpg
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	100561w to us as was never before and at a very reasonable cost,at just saving the need to replace several Lipos it pays for it self or as the ultimClick image for larger version

Name:	GPS-dash.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	100560ate bench electrical tool a must for anyone prototyping new systems and if you want to use several in other subs the soft wear allows for it aClick image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0010.jpg
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	100559nd individual components are always available ,the support staff is par none the best as is the product and I highly recommend it,try it if yoClick image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0012.jpg
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	100558u do not see that it is amazing and fun to use then simply return it.
    I love mine and do not go the pond without it.
    The servo like box on the end of the tray with the wires connected to it is the recorder then there is a TX unit that connects to it all are nice and small light waight units with all the necessary markings so that there is no guessing what goes where.The wires usualy 2 or 3 to each sensor plug in like servos to a reciever easy as that!Install the system once all of the subs systems are installed and just follow the easy steps to get it operational,remember it will not interfear with the radio but check it anyway,so far I have no problems.

Dave Amur Sub Yard

Click image for larger version

Name:	EAGLE TREE DIAGRAM.jpg
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	100557
    Go to Eagletreesystems.com for more info.
    Great minds discuss ideas;average minds discuss events;small minds discuss people.

President Roosevelt
  • Slats
    Vice Admiral
    • Aug 2008

So the average guy behind the sticks is now monitoring telemetary, whilst keeping the mark 1 eyeball on the subs position and track, and trying to block out moronic noise from onlookers asking a plethora of dumb arse questions.
    At days end such technology won't save you from pilot error, but sure as **** will contribute to it.
    Dave one day I hope to grow a third eye to fully integrate such technology until then I'll keep my life simple, and let Darwinian evolutionary individuals over complicate the heck out of their boats.

J
    John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
    Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• AQUASUB
      Lieutenant
      • Nov 2010

This device is made for the average guy who once was the moronic onlooker asking a plethora of dumb questions as we all where.Surely Down Under is not dumb under as well.
      It is merely a tool to help prevent any possible mishaps like ruining out of juice while way out on a nasty pond or to let you know that there is not enough gas left to safely surface,those are things that have no known gage that is truly reliable to the RC Sub Captain.

It will most definitely save your sub which costs a heck of allot more than this system and pays for its self not just in Lipos replaced but on the bench as a diagnostic and development tool.

I do believe and know well from first hand that a Helli even the most basic is much harder to operate than any sub will ever be,let go of the sticks on a chopper and in a second its all over the ground,do the same with a sub and you have time to visit the latrine and she is still there,so for needing a third eyeball to monitor a system that monitors its self as one would set it to be is the "cats meow" since one "hears" the warnings, for any machine and Captain ,especially one that goes undersea.
      One could be having a massive leak or short while submerged and not know about it till it was to late,this system lets you know way in advance there is something wrong in the electrical system by setting the lipos draw amp or voltage limits,it will beep in a way set by you and show what parameter is in trouble!

I find it interesting how people tend to not embrace change even though it is to there great advantage ,like what happened with Admiral Richover ,we did this we would still be fighting in row boats,technology will change the face of this hobby and the world no mater what you or I have to say about it,it has already with the Computerized radio and digital transmissions,this is just as important as that single advancement,some is good some is bad ,this is overwhelmingly good and will save allot of grief and tons of money,these subs don't come cheap ,take years to build and to not protect them from pilot/Captain's error in even the most basic of knowledge as to how much power does she really have or gas, to me is well, running blind and dumb,a recipe for disaster.Would a pilot fly without instruments, no, but they are trained for that for good reason ,to get the bird safely back on the ground.
      Sure its nice to keep life simple ,that is why I stuck it in my sub and others,it takes away that simple emotion of "anxiety" some like it,I don't,not knowing for sure is she ready and will she do the mission,that really calms ones nerves like cold cervesa, "beer" thats all.

As for over complicating subs,I just like my subs to perform for those onlookers ,they can do things many can not as scale like or not as I wish,heck one wants to see overcomplicated ,over invested subs, see the Germans ,wow they need to spend more on beer.

Happy New Year the future is upon us we better get with it or someone else will kick our arse.

Dave Amur Sub Yard
      Great minds discuss ideas;average minds discuss events;small minds discuss people.

President Roosevelt

Comment

• Slats
        Vice Admiral
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by AQUASUB
        This device is made for the average guy who once was the moronic onlooker asking a plethora of dumb questions as we all where.Surely Down Under is not dumb under as well.
        It is merely a tool to help prevent any possible mishaps like ruining out of juice while way out on a nasty pond or to let you know that there is not enough gas left to safely surface,those are things that have no known gage that is truly reliable to the RC Sub Captain.

It will most definitely save your sub which costs a heck of allot more than this system and pays for its self not just in Lipos replaced but on the bench as a diagnostic and development tool.

I do believe and know well from first hand that a Helli even the most basic is much harder to operate than any sub will ever be,let go of the sticks on a chopper and in a second its all over the ground,do the same with a sub and you have time to visit the latrine and she is still there,so for needing a third eyeball to monitor a system that monitors its self as one would set it to be is the "cats meow" since one "hears" the warnings, for any machine and Captain ,especially one that goes undersea.
        One could be having a massive leak or short while submerged and not know about it till it was to late,this system lets you know way in advance there is something wrong in the electrical system by setting the lipos draw amp or voltage limits,it will beep in a way set by you and show what parameter is in trouble!

I find it interesting how people tend to not embrace change even though it is to there great advantage ,like what happened with Admiral Richover ,we did this we would still be fighting in row boats,technology will change the face of this hobby and the world no mater what you or I have to say about it,it has already with the Computerized radio and digital transmissions,this is just as important as that single advancement,some is good some is bad ,this is overwhelmingly good and will save allot of grief and tons of money,these subs don't come cheap ,take years to build and to not protect them from pilot/Captain's error in even the most basic of knowledge as to how much power does she really have or gas, to me is well, running blind and dumb,a recipe for disaster.Would a pilot fly without instruments, no, but they are trained for that for good reason ,to get the bird safely back on the ground.
        Sure its nice to keep life simple ,that is why I stuck it in my sub and others,it takes away that simple emotion of "anxiety" some like it,I don't,not knowing for sure is she ready and will she do the mission,that really calms ones nerves like cold cervesa, "beer" thats all.

As for over complicating subs,I just like my subs to perform for those onlookers ,they can do things many can not as scale like or not as I wish,heck one wants to see overcomplicated ,over invested subs, see the Germans ,wow they need to spend more on beer.

Happy New Year the future is upon us we better get with it or someone else will kick our arse.

Dave Amur Sub Yard
        So after 20 years of stick time and the loss of not a single boat, encompassing more 2,000 hours at the helm of a sub I have it all wrong and I need to be rescued by yet another device I don't need.

How about showing the new guy how to set a boat up properly with the basics so you don't need all this necessary **** on board.
        J
        Last edited by Slats; 12-30-2010, 04:47 AM. Reason: Can't swear enough!!
        John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
        Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• AQUASUB
          Lieutenant
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Slats
          So after 20 years of stick time and the loss of not a single boat, encompassing more 2,000 hours at the helm of a sub I have it all wrong and I need to be rescued by yet another device I don't need.

How about showing the new guy how to set a boat up properly with the basics so you don't need all this necessary **** on board.
          J
          Thats where you get it all wrong mate,I don't actually need it ,its just there to enhance and to add an extra safety net for me and my sub,the last thing I want to do is go in after it due to a low battery and don't say that it does not happen or has not happened to you,it does to everyone at some time or another.

I also have miles and decades of RC sub missions without any losses but someday out on a murky nasty cold arse lake she might go down,and with even the on board GPSS which I might install next I will know exactly where she went down,its a possibility that the GPSS signal will penetrate at least a few inches but at least while on the surface a Reading is constantly updated even distance to driver and last known heading,I believe there is about 8 parameters just related to position and speed extra,Ill find out how it works.

Like I said one can chose to embrace the future or stay in the past its fine with me I am not making anyone do it,I am merly showing what I do and this is cutting edge stuff ,think of it finally after so many years one can see what is actually going on in the sub it self not just the outside ,making the hole experience of operating one much more funner and safer not to mention really blowing the moronic crowds mind with it,they can't believe that so much info comes out of that sub!Extreme cool factor!

I don't see why you have to swear about its not the plague or insulting ones intelligence,by no means that is not the purpose of this discussion,if it gets you ticked off thats your problem,the only thing you can do about it my dad would say is " just cool down".

I have been showing the newbies tons of stuff,I write all the time what I am up to,I don't have to take the bloody time to do it all but I get a kick out of it and discussions are are always welcome thats what a forum is about and respect for the other guys opinion is always paramount,but to slam something that is super beneficial and causes absolutely no harm and has a super wow factor is well disappointing coming from a seasoned Captain.
          What I do is proper ,its safe,straight forward and simple ,no gizmo's that one can't make right at home not even a lathe or mill is required,just common sense and last but not least made to last and of quality components readily available anywhere ,oh I forgot cheaper as well.

Dave

President Roosevelt

Comment

• Subculture
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Telemetry is something that will be on all but the cheapest of future sets as a standard. Not on 40mhz or 75mhz sets, but 2.4ghz. Plenty of bandwidth and it's cheap for manufacturers to integrate into their sets.

I find dataloggers much more useful personally, where you can observe on a computer via charts etc. what your motor and battery pack is doing e.g. current, RPM, voltage etc.

Is this useful for subs? If you're doing something new, yes I think so indeed. It's like a rolling road for tuning a car. Once upon a time, cars were tuned by ear and eyeball, now engineers and technicians use computers with multiple sensors.

Old school, new school- take your pick.
            Last edited by Subculture; 12-31-2010, 03:27 AM.

Comment

• AQUASUB
              Lieutenant
              • Nov 2010

Yes but with live feedback you get as it happens in the real world and at the sametime ellogged for later playback,like you said( It's like a rolling road for tuning a car. Once upon a time, cars were tuned by ear and eyeball, now engineers and technicians use computers with multiple sensors].

That is the other aspect of live feedack,on the other side of the coin is the live status monitoring that is most valuble.

Dave

President Roosevelt

Comment

• AQUASUB
                Lieutenant
                • Nov 2010

Click image for larger version

Name:	CASEING XXI.jpg
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	60690

A diagram of the casing with Telemetry for the XXI.

Now the fine tuning and testing begins with the completed unit, so far very good results, no glitching and all functions working.

Dave
                Last edited by Kazzer; 01-03-2011, 08:38 AM.

President Roosevelt

Comment

• Tugrat
                  Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                  • Jun 2010

As much as I like to keep things simple, I like the idea of remote telementary.

Its old school/ new school.

The real issue is to support and evolve the technology so that we can get what we want at a realistic price.

In 1995 I bought my first modem for $600 and then a couple of months later the market was flooded with cheap units for $20.

For RC - look at the price of standard 2 channel and what about the price drop re 2.4g

I would love to have a decent size sub with numerous functions topping of with telementary and throw in remote vision

i saw the video " journey to the deep" with someones Oboat - imagine coming to periscope depth and beaming back vision of a target and then firing at the target.

One of my fellow club members built a 1/24 scale model of the floating Titan Crane that used to work Sydney Harbour. Putting remote telementary on this would make it challenging.

i would love to build a version of the Glomar Explorer not as detailed but with a working claw or at least an underwater search camera

Comment

• AQUASUB
                    Lieutenant
                    • Nov 2010

Yes Telemetry is a marriage of new school and old school and its affordable ,easy to use and install.If you can plug in a servo you can install it and it is small enough to go into the smaller subs.

If you have enough space for the recorder the size of a normal 8 ch receiver and for the TX unit about 2.5 x 1/4 in x 1 in than it will fit ,its made for Aircraft light rugged and super compact.

Also it will work on any radio now or in the future as one is not confined to the radios built in Telemetry that usually is very limited and inflexible.

A truly professional and comprehensive system that is inexpensive and can be used on as many models as one would like,by purchasing the recorder and sensors as needed the sensors stay in the model while the recorder can go from model to model and the software settings are all saved in a non volatile memory or when the power is off the settings stay safely memorized,just punch up the required model on the PC and your ready to go!

One has to remember that this system by no means complicates,inter fears or detracts in any way the function of your sub ,it does the exact opposite by giving you a huge host of info that is vital to the status of your sub in real time, updated every millisecond and settable alarms make it the best Friend one could get.

Dave Amur Sub Yard

President Roosevelt

Comment

Working...