X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by toppack
    I was afraid you were going to say that. :eek:
    The aft compartment is Completely Full already, no room for pump there. I plan to put the snort pump in other end of tube with battery. So I need to somehow Move those 2 brass tubes to the other end of SD ??? ;)
    It appears the tubes in motor bulkhead are not easily removeable? So I'll probably just plug them and drill holes in battery bulkhead and seal in more tubes for pump access.
    I think that would be easier than trying to run tubing from one end to the other (inside) and still be able to connect it up.
    I need to drill a hole in it for power-switch anyway, so what's a couple more holes gonna hurt. :D
    Good plan.

David,
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• toppack
      Rear Admiral
      • Nov 2008

I moved the 2 air-line tubes to forward-bulkhead and installed and sealed the power-switch but when connecting flex-tubing between forward-bulkhead and snort-pump I found that the pump's inlet and outlet ports are larger than brass-tubing provided in bulkhead, (flex-tubing did not fit pump).
      So I'm thinking about drilling out the pump-ports slightly and CA gluing some short pieces of brass-tube inside the pump ports to reduce diameter and to lengthen them, since the pump ports are also very short?
      David,
      Is that the best solution?
      Last edited by toppack; 11-17-2008, 01:51 PM.
      Rick L.
      --------------------------------------------
      * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
      Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *

Comment

• Aug 2008

I moved the 2 air-line tubes to forward-bulkhead and installed and sealed the power-switch but when connecting flex-tubing between forward-bulkhead and snort-pump I found that the pump's inlet and outlet ports are larger than brass-tubing provided in bulkhead, (flex-tubing did not fit pump).
        So I'm thinking about drilling out the pump-ports slightly and CA gluing some short pieces of brass-tube inside the pump ports to reduce diameter and to lengthen them, since the pump ports are also very short?
        David,
        Is that the best solution?
        Bad idea!!! You get any shavings into the ports and they get at the check-valves within. Game Over!

Heat a 3/32" diameter brass pin and stick it momentarily into the end of a piece of flexible hosing, repeat till you enlarge the inside diameter of the end of the flexible hose till it will fit over the nipple of the LPB compressor with just enough interference fit to assure it stays there -- experiment first on a discarded piece of flexible tubing.

David,
        Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 11-17-2008, 02:31 PM.
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• toppack
          Rear Admiral
          • Nov 2008

Okay, I'll give it a try. I was afraid a hose may come loose and pump the battery compartment full of water, doing it that way. :(
          Rick L.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Okay, I'll give it a try. I was afraid a hose may come loose and pump the battery compartment full of water, doing it that way. :(
            Could ...

... you wana live forever?

David,
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• toppack
              Rear Admiral
              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Merriman
              ... you wana live forever?

David,

I Know I won't, but I hope this sub will last Long after I'm gone. :)

I tried heating and stretching the flex-tubing but just couldn't get it correct, either too tight or too loose. So I went with my original plan. Drilled the pump ports with drill-bit in a pin-vise (no power drill), did it slowly and carefully, to make sure nothing got into pump. The plastic is very easy to drill by hand. Brass tubes fit perfectly and I think 'It's Good to Go'. :)
              Last edited by toppack; 11-17-2008, 04:49 PM.
              Rick L.

Comment

• Aug 2008

I Know I won't, but I hope this sub will last Long after I'm gone. :)

I tried heating and stretching the flex-tubing but just couldn't get it correct, either too tight or too loose. So I went with my original plan. Drilled the pump ports with drill-bit in a pin-vise (no power drill), did it slowly and carefully, to make sure nothing got into pump. The plastic is very easy to drill by hand. Brass tubes fit perfectly and I think 'It's Good to Go'. :)
                Good man. Take photos and share with us. There are other (and sometimes better) ways to skin a cat.

David,
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• toppack
                  Rear Admiral
                  • Nov 2008

I put a couple pictures of the modified pump in the 'Builder Threads' forum.
                  Last edited by toppack; 11-17-2008, 11:21 PM.
                  Rick L.

Comment

• toppack
                    Rear Admiral
                    • Nov 2008

I went ahead and uploaded the modified Pump pictures here also.
                    (I don't know why they wouldn't upload here before ???)
                    Click on Thumbnail pics:
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by toppack; 11-19-2008, 10:32 PM.
                    Rick L.

Comment

• toppack
                      Rear Admiral
                      • Nov 2008

I desided to use brass tubing for most of the air-lines to and from Snort-pump. With 2 short pieces of flex tubing connecting them to SD. Outlet tube RTVed to bottom of SD and Inlet tube is RTVed to top of SD. There will be another short piece of flex tubing at upper end, were it goes into sail, which will make it easier to feed in, when installing deck-assembly/cover.
                      Rick L.

Comment

• Aug 2008

I desided to use brass tubing for most of the air-lines to and from Snort-pump. With 2 short pieces of flex tubing connecting them to SD. Outlet tube RTVed to bottom of SD and Inlet tube is RTVed to top of SD. There will be another short piece of flex tubing at upper end, were it goes into sail, which will make it easier to feed in, when installing deck-assembly/cover.

All that brass tube means a lot of dead-weight up high and above the designed waterline. Bad Ju-Ju!

David,
                        Last edited by Kazzer; 11-24-2008, 08:32 AM.
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• toppack
                          Rear Admiral
                          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Merriman
                          All that brass tube means a lot of dead-weight up high and above the designed waterline. Bad Ju-Ju! David,
                          One brass tube is down at keel, next to ballast-weight, only one is high, but since I've also moved the forward-dive-plane push-rod down at keel and no DP-retract linkage installed, there will be much less total weight that is high. Having Inlet-brass-tube at top, with a vertical bend in it, will make installing cover much easier, since it has to be guided up into sail. :)

I had a Stroke about 6 months ago and don't have complete use of my left hand yet, so I have to figure out ways of doing things with one hand when possible. :(
                          Last edited by toppack; 11-24-2008, 10:52 AM.
                          Rick L.

Comment

• Aug 2008

One brass tube is down at keel, next to ballast-weight, only one is high, but since I've also moved the forward-dive-plane push-rod down at keel and no DP-retract linkage installed, there will be much less total weight that is high. Having Inlet-brass-tube at top, with a vertical bend in it, will make installing cover much easier, since it has to be guided up into sail. :)

I had a Stroke about 6 months ago and don't have complete use of my left hand yet, so I have to figure out ways of doing things with one hand when possible. :(

OK, it's a wash -- probably in your favor. Thanks for the details. Sounds like you've been working actively to keep the c.g. low. Good on ya.

As to the stroke: that's a *****! Is your gray matter OK (other than the left-side involvement)? I'm not being a smart-ass (this time). How are your cognitive abilities after the clot? This is a very demanding hobby.

David,
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• toppack
                              Rear Admiral
                              • Nov 2008

Luckily the only thing effected by Stroke was left arm and hand. Other areas effected recovered within a month.
                              I sure get tired fo typing on this keyboard with just one finger tho. :D LOL :D
                              Rick L.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Luckily the only thing effected by Stroke was left arm and hand. Other areas effected recovered within a month.
                                I sure get tired fo typing on this keyboard with just one finger tho. :D LOL :D
                                Well ... you still doing the therapy thing (typing don't' count!), or did you walk on 'em too soon? What's the prognosis on the arm and hand? Sounds to me like an as-yet-to-be-completed re-wiring job up there.

No matter, as long as the brains back up to speed, you can get this thing going with just a bit more sweat than the average guy. Keep at it.

David,
                                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...