All Dive-planes on Single Servo ? (in Gato)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toppack
    Rear Admiral
    • Nov 2008

All Dive-planes on Single Servo ? (in Gato)

I'm considering using only one servo to operate both fore and aft Dive-Planes, by connecting their linkage rods together. This would eliminate need for one servo and would decrease the complexity of operating the model. I could mount the DP servo (high-torque type) in middle of SD tube, allowing longer servo-arm for more DP travel and not change the weight balance (less top heavy roll).
    Is there any problems with doing that? Would I miss anything by doing that?
    Last edited by toppack; 11-13-2008, 06:10 PM.
    Rick L.
    --------------------------------------------
    * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
    Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by toppack
    I'm considering using only one servo to operate both fore and aft Dive-Planes, by connecting their linkage rods together. This would eliminate need for one servo and would decrease the complexity of operating the model. I could mount the DP servo (high-torque type) in middle of SD tube, allowing longer servo-arm for more DP travel and not change the weight balance (less top heavy roll).
    Is there any problems with doing that? Would I miss anything by doing that?
    Unless you're coupling the long moment armed stern planes and bow planes of the SEAVIEW, don't do it. That boat's a special case, all others, make the planes independant.

I have spoken, so let it be written! .....

David,
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• toppack
      Rear Admiral
      • Nov 2008

Sorry, I'll need More of a Reason than That ??? :D
      As I said I'm learning Subs, so if there is a reason why it won't work, Please let me know?
      Last edited by toppack; 11-13-2008, 09:23 PM.
      Rick L.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Sorry, I'll need More of a Reason than That ??? :D
        As I said I'm learning Subs, so if there is a reason why it won't work, Please let me know?
        Look, I don't have time for detailed descriptions. I'll tell you what does and does not work. You want rational -- hit the books/INTERNET.

David,
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• toppack
          Rear Admiral
          • Nov 2008

Sorry I Bothered you, David. I realize you don't have anyone else answering questions but
          I thought learning about building and Operating RC Subs was what this forum is for?

To a point. But I have to draw a line in the sand -- or nothing around here will get out the door!

Plenty of good books out there on marine architecture, hydrodynamics, and submarine design practices. Get some of them and study up.

David,
          Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 11-13-2008, 11:51 PM.
          Rick L.

Comment

• toppack
            Rear Admiral
            • Nov 2008

Plenty of good books out there on marine architecture, hydrodynamics, and submarine design practices. Get some of them and study up.

David,
            It would be easier to just connect the linkages and find what happens. :D LOL :D
            I will look for good books tho, Thanks
            Rick L.

Comment

• toppack
              Rear Admiral
              • Nov 2008

Well, I've desided to simplify the mechanical assembly of my first sub by not making the bow-planes retractable and use one servo for all dive-planes. By eliminating 2 servos I can use 2 larger servos for rudder and dive-planes (mounting them in middle of tube), which I already have (no mini servos left). That way I'll only need a 6-channel receiver (not 8 with camera and snort) (I already have a 7-ch receiver) and I'll have plenty of room for the receiver, ADF and speed-control in rear compartment.
              I'll need to modify the servo mounting bracket but I have some aluminum that thickness so that should be easy to make.
              Last edited by toppack; 11-15-2008, 11:25 AM.
              Rick L.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Well, I've desided to simplify the mechanical assembly of my first sub by not making the bow-planes retractable and use one servo for all dive-planes. By eliminating 2 servos I can use 2 larger servos for rudder and dive-planes (mounting them in middle of tube), which I already have (no mimi servos left). That way I'll only need a 6-channel receiver (not 8 with camera and snort) (I already have a 7-ch receiver) and I'll have plenty of room for the receiver, ADF and speed-control in rear compartment.
                I'll need to modify the servo mounting bracket but I have some aluminum that thickness so that should be easy to make.
                Share your experiences here.

David,
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• toppack
                  Rear Admiral
                  • Nov 2008

I was able to use the existing servo mounting bracket. I removed the tabs from ends of servos, replaced the pop-rivets so heads are facing in toward servos and tweeked the bracket a little and servos fit perfectly. So I won't have to make another bracket. :)
                  I'll glue the servos together before RTVing them to bracket.
                  Last edited by toppack; 11-15-2008, 12:20 AM.
                  Rick L.

Comment

Working...