Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Thank you for your help! I just noticed I did not put the updated image up. Shortly I will do that.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

Click image for larger version

Name:	Walrus_Prop_worksheet 01.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	386.3 KB
ID:	119986

This is the corrected and complete plan.
      Peace,
      Tom
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout

Name:	Walrus_Prop_worksheet 01.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	386.3 KB
ID:	119986

This is the corrected and complete plan.
        Peace,
        Tom
        OK, with the radius points identified on the graph, you can determine the true cord at each radius point. Take a compass (divider) to a radius point (concentric circle) and measure the apparent (projected) cord of the blade at that point. Lay that measurement onto the X-line under the radius point and make a box, connecting the right and left sides of the box to the pitch-line.

This defines the actual (developed) cord of the blade at that radius point. You use this to define the profile of the blade which is marked atop the blade blank you're going to carve out.

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

You willing to sell me a chunk of Renshape? I cannot see myself buying a large sheet of it. I do have some pale colored reshape (I bought from Mike), not sure if it is good for this. Thoughts?

Comment

• Aug 2008

You willing to sell me a chunk of Renshape? I cannot see myself buying a large sheet of it. I do have some pale colored reshape (I bought from Mike), not sure if it is good for this. Thoughts?
            Click image for larger version  Name:	002.JPG Views:	1 Size:	17.4 KB ID:	120004

Pale, as in vanilla-white? That's likely the porous 20lb. stuff. You want the dense 40lb. RenShape (the stuff in my hand).

$1,000.00 for a hunk of the dense RenShape should do it. I'll fix you up. E-mail me your current address. RenShape is to model-builders what U235 is to bomb-makers.

David
            Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 02-18-2017, 01:50 PM.
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
              Admiral
              • Jul 2011

Thank you! I received the box with RenShape scraps. I can do this. I am studying your photos.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Thank you! I received the box with RenShape scraps. I can do this. I am studying your photos.
                Go get 'em, Tiger!

Keep us informed as to progress.

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Mar 2013

Seems like Renshape is as rare as rocking horse ****. Can't get it down here.

Comment

• bwi 971
                    Captain
                    • Jan 2015

Kirkside Products supply Duraquartz swimming pool plaster, Duraguard fibreglass pool resurfacing system, Skypebble and Glass Bead pool interior finishes

Our workshop has always called it ‘plastic wood’, and in Australia at least, many suppliers seem to know it by this name. Here it is a pink colour, comes as “boards” up to several tens of mm thick, is very heavy in the lager sizes, and frightfully expensive. But for SO many things it is absolutely invaluable!
                    Unquote

Maybe this helps
                    Grtz,
                    Bart
                    Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
                    "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by bwi 971
                      http://www.kirkside.com.au/L94/tooling-boards/

Our workshop has always called it ‘plastic wood’, and in Australia at least, many suppliers seem to know it by this name. Here it is a pink colour, comes as “boards” up to several tens of mm thick, is very heavy in the lager sizes, and frightfully expensive. But for SO many things it is absolutely invaluable!
                      Unquote

Maybe this helps
                      Grtz,
                      Bart
                      That's the stuff. The important property with this stuff is its density. You want stuff that is 40 lbs. per cubic-foot or heavier.

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                        Admiral
                        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                        OK, with the radius points identified on the graph, you can determine the true cord at each radius point. Take a compass (divider) to a radius point (concentric circle) and measure the apparent (projected) cord of the blade at that point. Lay that measurement onto the X-line under the radius point and make a box, connecting the right and left sides of the box to the pitch-line.

This defines the actual (developed) cord of the blade at that radius point. You use this to define the profile of the blade which is marked atop the blade blank you're going to carve out.
                        I need a crayon drawing and some definitions. I have re-read this and I sort of get it. Does the center axis of a blade remain the same and it is just a twist along the axis? I am not sure I completely understand the markings of the block you are about to carve.
                        Cord is angle, I am assuming.

Comment

• Aug 2008

I need a crayon drawing and some definitions. I have re-read this and I sort of get it. Does the center axis of a blade remain the same and it is just a twist along the axis? I am not sure I completely understand the markings of the block you are about to carve.
                          Cord is angle, I am assuming.
                          The center of the disc has the blade angle along the main axis of the propeller shaft -- zero angle. Or, an angle perpendicular to the plane of the disc.

Cord is the length of the foil at any specified radius point along the span of the blade. Span is perpendicular to the mean blade span.

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                            Admiral
                            • Jul 2011

I did this just to watch the veins in your temple bulge out:

Name:	Walrus Prop.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	121224
                            Yes, it is a 3D printed prop.

Moving on to our topic at hand.
                            I am going to need the "short bus" instructions or the simple step by step. I have a chunk of foam. I draw the shape of the blade on it. The thickness is estimated by the maximum the hub will hold or is there a better way?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Refer to my first post -- it shows how to lay-out the propeller blade blank.

(just bumped you one spot below Bart on my official 'hate' list).

David
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
                                Vice Admiral
                                • Mar 2013

Does that mean you hate him more or less?

Comment

Working...