Name:	STUFFING BOX.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	100462First the diagrams and picturesClick image for larger version

Name:	010.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	100461
    Great minds discuss ideas;average minds discuss events;small minds discuss people.

President Roosevelt
  • Slats
    Vice Admiral
    • Aug 2008

I do appreciate the diagram - but why make one?
    Add up all the costs of what you have there - then add in the value of your time, the cost is simply not worth it when you can buy and off the shelf seal. See the Caswell page http://www.caswellplating.com/models/propeller.html

Best
    J
    John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
    Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• AQUASUB
      Lieutenant
      • Nov 2010

Hi slats

Yes that would be good for some, but there are instances where a custom shaft size, or length of stuffing box, is required.
      All the parts are also off the shelf and do cost a bit more than the soft seal method but this has never let me down. i've lost the count how many I have made. Not one has had to be replaced or even refilled with grease and I run a negative PSI in the subs. One would think that the grease would come right out, but not so, and I go deep - fast and long runs.

Its all in the materials used, that is by far the most important factor.
      The shaft is any diameter needed of Stainless Steel Center-less Precision Ground instrument quality shaft stock. The bushings are oillite brass bushings.

The grease is the black molydenum type or marine bearing grease.

In the past I would install a "O" ring on each end but found that it was not needed, just kept it simple and reliable.
      To me it just feels better to know that down in the depths the sub is protected from a solid brass, steel and grease barrier that has never failed,

Dave
      Last edited by Kazzer; 11-30-2010, 12:32 AM.
      Great minds discuss ideas;average minds discuss events;small minds discuss people.

President Roosevelt

Comment

Working...