Stern Protection Frame-work in Gato kit ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toppack
    Rear Admiral
    • Nov 2008

Stern Protection Frame-work in Gato kit ?

After searching thru many original photos, I've determined that not many early Gato-class subs had the Stern Protection Frame-work installed (above propeller area). (Which I see from pictures, that it is included in Revell kit)
    It seems that the Gato ss212 itself did not have it. The only ones I've found that had it was the Tullibee, Whale and Wahoo (that I've found good pictures of). It must have been a later modifiction addon.
    So to accurately copy most of the Gato class subs this frame-work needs to be left off.
    Does the RC model need this frame attached for protection? :confused:
    Or is that determined by how Good a driver we are? :D

I suppose there's a lot of holes in the hull that will need to be filled if I leave it off?

I would post some photos but can't find a way to do it here.
    Last edited by toppack; 11-07-2008, 10:12 AM.
    Rick L.
    --------------------------------------------
    * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
    Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *
  • toppack
    Rear Admiral
    • Nov 2008

Now I'm curious which one of the subs probably ran into a dock or another ship, that prompted them to add that big honkin' drag-inducing frame on a very clean hull before that? :D
    I could not find any Info on that on Internet. :(
    Rick L.

Comment

• toppack
      Rear Admiral
      • Nov 2008

When you're Retired you have time to worry about things like this. :D LOL :D
      Rick L.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by toppack
        Now I'm curious which one of the subs probably ran into a dock or another ship, that prompted them to add that big honkin' drag-inducing frame on a very clean hull before that? :D
        I could not find any Info on that on Internet. :(
        Those things are called screw-guards. That's what they're there for. And they are a practical necessity on your r/c GATO as well -- the first time you rub up against the side of a pool (assuming its not inflatable) you will quickly come to appreciate their function (if you elected not to install the screw-guards) as your propeller -- the one that hits the side of the pool -- has its blades twisted into a useless mess.

Install the screw-guards!!!

During the war some boats went on patrol without them -- pretty much at the Captain's discretion, though I'm sure some squadron Commodore's had a say in whether or not a boats skipper could do that.

The first boat I Qualified on was the USS TRUTTA (SS 421). Though a GUPPY 2A she still had screw-guards. Drag be damned ... as often as we clobbered the pier's at Key West with the stern, we never needed a screw change during my tour on that boat!

David,
        Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 11-07-2008, 12:18 PM.
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• toppack
          Rear Admiral
          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Merriman
          -- the first time -- hits the side of the pool -- has its blades twisted into a useless mess.
          I hear Ya!
          I don't like 'twisted useless messes' either. :D LOL :D
          It would be too much trouble to fill those holes in hull any way. :D
          Rick L.

Comment

Working...