• Show
Clear All
  • AQUASUB
    Lieutenant
    • Nov 2010

The Thunder Tiger SB-1 And The Modifications And Why I Made Them

First the diagrams and pictures.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by AQUASUB; 12-09-2010, 12:18 PM.
    Great minds discuss ideas;average minds discuss events;small minds discuss people.

President Roosevelt
  • AQUASUB
    Lieutenant
    • Nov 2010

Here is the next mod I am working on, the bow thruster, made entirely from Tecknics parts.
    It can be made to fit any bows beam down to about 2 inches, works in the wet with either a wet motor or a dry casing.
    The motor is a common Radio Shack 6 to 18 volt unit with a and adapter to increase shaft diameter. 1/8 inch clamps are fitted so that a stuffing box can be attached, the Technicks input shaft happens to be a 1/8 inch fit!

A very easy and inexpensive way to make a bow thruster. Just about 4 bucks worth of Tecknicks and Lego parts make it extend to any bow width.
    This one I am using double in-line 3 bladed 3/4 inch props inside of the 1 inch PVC union fittings for more thrust at lower RPM.

The bow thruster is controlled by an ESC that is in tandem with the rudder but activated by the 6th available switched Chanel on the TX. That way the thruster is not in use all the time and can be activated at any time.

A mini casing had to be extended out from the original to house the stuffing box and support structure. Its light and has access to the unions and mini U joints inside, a 1/8 inch stuffing box is made make a water tight shaft seal.
    No need to gear down the drive, its not to be used for long periods of time and would never need to be run at full 12 volt power.

With this feature the sub will be able to pan with great precision for filming and maneuvers in very tight quarters,I know it will make a great addition to the sub!

Dave Amur Sub Yard

Click image for larger version

Name:	BOW THRUSTER -1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	60782
    Last edited by Kazzer; 01-08-2011, 09:09 AM.
    Great minds discuss ideas;average minds discuss events;small minds discuss people.

President Roosevelt

Comment

• AQUASUB
      Lieutenant
      • Nov 2010

I have finished the Bow Thruster and have tested it to an extent that I am satisfied with it in both reliability and operation.After installing the 10 amp mini Motronics ESC in the forward section above or on top of the power board where there is plenty of space and the main power sytem is situated, it was easy and posed no major modifications what so ever to the internals systems and a servo/micro switch above the bag area and on the forward support was installed.

Name:	006 - Copy.jpg
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	60864
      This servo /switch is the 6th channel and is used to turn on the 10 amp Mtronics ESC at the positive wire.

Name:	sb-s thruster 005.jpg
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	60855
      A "Y" harness is then installed with the rudder so that the rudder stick can be used and there is no confusion as to the direction the thruster is moving the sub.

Name:	sb-s thruster 008.jpg
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	60856
      The variable thruster operation is very useful as the sub will be able to track what it is filming. These targets vary considerably in speed and in heading.

Name:	sb-s thruster 013.jpg
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	60857
      The placement of the thruster at the center of the diameter of the sub aids in the stable movement of the sub.
      If it had been placed as low as possible it would have caused a rocking movement every time it was activated and upset the video quality.

Name:	sb-s thruster 009.jpg
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	60858

Name:	sb-s thruster 007.jpg
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	60859

Name:	sb-s thruster 006.jpg
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	60860

Name:	sb-s thruster 014.jpg
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	60861

I am so happy with this simple inexpensive mod as it has vastly improved the maneuverability. I am certain that it will greatly assist in those tight maneuvers. !I can also park her on a dime and get out of sticky situations where before only the rudders ability could be used.

Name:	sb-s thruster 012.jpg
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	60862

Enjoy the videos and if you need a parts list I can provide one. It cost me under 35 bucks for everything!

Name:	sb-s thruster 011.jpg
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	60863
      This thruster made from Technics can fit any hull from 3 inches to as wide as needed!
      There is also the vertical thruster.

Dave Amur Sub Yard

Name:	sb-s thruster 019.jpg
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	60854
      Last edited by Kazzer; 01-27-2011, 06:56 PM.

President Roosevelt

Comment

• AQUASUB
        Lieutenant
        • Nov 2010

The finished diagram,single props used.

Name:	BOW THRUSTER 2 .O.jpg
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	60868Click image for larger version

Name:	!BlgZJkg!2k~$(KGrHqMH-CUEtgsZPOlYBLb6OFnD3Q~~_35.jpg
Size:	3.4 KB
ID:	60867

I also installed this little voltage /amp indicator as a off on indicator as shown it works well but the amps do not indicate accurately.A good deal for 6 bucks at Hobby king.com.

President Roosevelt

Comment

• AQUASUB
          Lieutenant
          • Nov 2010

Videos !

My SB-2.0 Neptune was modified so that an enbedded thruster unit is able to to turn the sub around in both dirictions ,engaged at will so as to reduce power ...

Thruster Demo see details at RC Groups.com AQUASUB posts

President Roosevelt

Comment

• Kazzer
            • Aug 2008

Those thrusters are very impressive!
            Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
              • Aug 2008

Agreed. Dave's work on this product is most noteworthy.

David,
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Slats
                Vice Admiral
                • Aug 2008

The use of lego is fantastic. There is so much technical lego to be grabbed in bits and pieces off ebay. I for one am keen to try the new linear actuators that I would not have know about except for Dave's posts.
                So thanks
                J
                John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
                Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Kazzer
                  • Aug 2008

I went to a LEGO exhibition/competition in Rochester NY a few weeks ago. It was hosted by The University of Rochester and hundreds of school kids were running Lego models over a set course to complete a variety of tasks. Each model was different and the ways these kids had come up with gizmos to lift and push stuff around was quite ingenious. I guess that was the whole idea. They told me that the skill was pre-programming the model to run the set course and they had this box on board which held the 'instructions', fed in there via a laptop.

You can read more about this amazing Robotics Competition here http://www.usfirst.org/roboticsprogr...lt.aspx?id=970

And you thought Lego was a kids toy! I'm glad we kept all of ours. Somewhere in our big box of Lego stuff are models of Starwars ships. If only we could find the plans!
                  Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• AQUASUB
                    Lieutenant
                    • Nov 2010

I have always been amazed by Lego's and what can be made from them and have taken them to a new level in there use in RC Subs,in the past I used them to drive water pumps and support structures as well as circuit board supports among just a few things.There fun to work with as one can first make a design then make a Lego prototype then refine it and then build it to a more permanent state.Test it on the sub in the wet or not and your done.It just does not end there as Lego's possibilities goes on for ever if you can imagine it it can be built within reason.

The Technicks and Mind storm line of Robotic parts are very interesting indeed as all the aspects and components used on robots it available at a super low price compared to other makes of standard robot parts.Angle sensors,touch,light,rotation ,torque,psi,and optical sensors are all available and easily programed,if a child can do so can I .

The beauty of the Lego's is one there water proof,2 there inexpensive,there strong,can be CAd in place or screwed ,when the unit comes out for what ever reason it goes right back in exactly the same location ,no adjusting,just do it once set it and thats it and if your idea does not work out for you just redesign it with no loss of investment, an engineers dream come true if you ask me.

I have ordered a set of the new screw type linear actuators and they should be hear soon and will give my impressions of them .I like the pneumatic ones as I make them into hydraulic ones by just changing the inlet port with a larger brass one.

Those Lego conventions are loads of fun and years ago I would go with friends and since then I have been amazed!

Check out some of these models http://www.genuinemodels.com/excavator.htm

Pneumatic control /hydraulic my system is simpler http://www.ericbrok.com/legomind/pro...r/pneutime.htm

The V 8 Engine and chopper incredible!!! http://www.gizmowatch.com/entry/16-m...ego-creations/

Dave

President Roosevelt

Comment

• AQUASUB
                      Lieutenant
                      • Nov 2010

The best place I have found to buy Lego's is at Bricklink.com the service and world wide access to stores and easy to use vast catalog makes it a snap to get the parts you need.

Ebay is good also but the catalog is not easy to use.

Dave

President Roosevelt

Comment

• solosub
                        Lieutenant
                        • Sep 2010

Yes your SB1 is very impressive with the légo gearbox :)
                        Laurent

www.scalesub.com

French RC submarine forum

Comment

• AQUASUB
                          Lieutenant
                          • Nov 2010

Thank you solosub that is only the tip of the iceberg as to what Legos are capable of!

President Roosevelt

Comment

• AQUASUB
                            Lieutenant
                            • Nov 2010

The 1/8 stainless shaft fits snugly into the Technics male shaft spline then clamped with the shaft clamp.
                            It is a balanced clamp used in fine mechanisms.
                            This is how the conversion from a shaft to the Technics input spline is done,also the setup adds a "clutch" to the drive line.

Dave

Name:	DSCF0004 (3).jpg
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	60945

Name:	DSCF0005 (4).jpg
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	60944

President Roosevelt

Comment

Working...