X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toppack
    Rear Admiral
    • Nov 2008

NOW you Tell Me!

I was wondering how I was going to get the Rear-diveplane-shaft & linkage-arm installed in the VIIC hull, that I had already glued together. :confused:
    Now that I can read the Cabal-Reports I see that I'll probably need to take it apart again. :(
    Oh well, 'We're Havin Fun Now'! ;)
    Last edited by toppack; 11-06-2008, 10:29 PM.
    Rick L.
    --------------------------------------------
    * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
    Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

Hmm! That's awkward!
    If you get a 1/8" brass rod to make the shaft, then a 1/16" rod to make the arm, you could drill and tap a hole in the planes shaft and then insert it into the boat. Then simply screw in the 1/16" rod to make the arm?

Jon doesn't carry UNF taps/dies though.
    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• toppack
      Rear Admiral
      • Nov 2008

Thanks for the Info. :)
      Rick L.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by toppack
        I was wondering how I was going to get the Rear-diveplane-shaft & linkage-arm installed in the VIIC hull, that I had already glued together. :confused:
        Now that I can read the Cabal-Reports I see that I'll probably need to take it apart again. :(
        Oh well, 'We're Havin Fun Now'! ;)
        (in the voice of Ren) You I-D-I-O-T !!!!!

Yeah, you have to grind out the bell crank area within the hull over the stern plane operating shaft holes -- this to make room for the bell crank and pushrod. And you just don't have good access for that with the two hull halves assembled.

I'm currently working on a fittings kit for the Revell 1/72 Type-7 r/c submarine conversion. A specialized bell-crank will be included. And as you've observed already, you'll have to open up the hull. An alternative is to cut away a portion of the skeg, dig out the bell crank area and re-glue the piece -- I've done that before. Just use solvent cement, not CA, during the re-assembly.

David,
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• toppack
          Rear Admiral
          • Nov 2008

An alternative is to cut away a portion of the skeg, dig out the bell crank area and re-glue the piece
          Thanks, I had considered that already, since trying to separate the complete hull would make a bigger mess. The skeg area will be much easier to repair and make look good, so that's what I'll do. But the VII is Next Winter's project. ;) This Winter is devoted to the Gato. :)

Hey, I glued them together before I'd ever heard of a Sub-driver! ;)
          Last edited by toppack; 11-28-2008, 11:54 AM.
          Rick L.

Comment

Working...