Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Saturday's fun-run at Rocky Mount City-Lake

Ellie and I just got back from a delightful one-day fun run at the N.C. Rocky Mount, City-Lake. A perfect venue for r/c model ship and submarine running. The event was again superbly handled by Joe and his fellow area model builder buddies.

Here's a look at one of my model submarines being checked out for a days run. Near the end of this piece you'll see Kevin Rimrod's quad-copter hovering overhead shooting video of the submerged and surfaced model submarine.

We had a ball and look forward to the three-day, massive 1/96 scale fleet-run there this October.

Support North Carolina!

Who is John Galt?
  • SSN SonarTech
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Jul 2012

Sorry I missed it. Looking Fwd to October
    US Submarine Force: Making the Navy worthwhile since 1900

Comment

• Aug 2008

It's gonna be a blast, Steve! And don't forget the big two-day event at the Fall Festival in Newport News just one week before the N.C. fleet-run. We're going there too to run the subs and make life a living-hell for the target-drivers.

M
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

Sure enjoyed that video of your Albacore! The sail rudder (I know there is probably a proper name for it), are you using it to steer or is it being used to keep the sail from leaning over in turns (i.e. a leveler for vertical)?
        It sure looks like it was running well. Did you bring other subs? Where is the video from the quadcopter? Inquiring minds want to know.
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

It's a 'dorsal rudder' and its function is to keep the boat upright in a tight turn -- it fights the natural 'foil role' moment created as the boat skids into a turn (the off-center angle of attack on the sail producing a rolling force to the hull). The function explained, angle sensing was simply an ADF2 oriented so that it responded about the roll axis, not the usual pitch axis. Works like a charm -- even in the fastest, tightest underwater turn the boat does not roll. However the great drag created (used to effect during a stern plane casualty) by the dorsal rudder slows the boat notably in a fast turn underwater.

I have some footage of the 1/72 and 1/96 SKIPJACK (the big one actually named, SHARK) from last Saturday. You guys want to see that?

I'm pinging on Kevin to share the quad-copter with me so I can post it. File is big as that camera poops out broadcast quality video.

M

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

https://youtu.be/eLap8AP27eQ The second video is at the City Lake, but last November.

M
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...