• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gogiantks
    Ensign
    • Oct 2015

2 issues on testing my WTC

Hi everyone,
    So on testing my WTC I have 2 problems. The first is the vent valve leaks. I have adjusted the collars to add more pressure to the valve and after that helped, but still leaked, I adjusted the pressure screw. At first it was all the way down. I now have it about half way and I still get bubbles out of it.
    Second is water in the motor compartment. See no bubbles, but it floods fairly fast. Is it just trial and error to find the leal?
    Ken
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Ken,
    To find the leak near the motor area, try this:
    First inspect the o-ring
    You should see the rubber pressing against the tube It will look like a black stripe.
    If it looks like it is really thin or not making contact, you will need to take the o-ring out and wrap the channel with teflon tape about three or four times then test again.

See the o-ring most outward and how it gets thin? It still has a seal, but a couple more wraps would improve it a lot.
    If it looks fine, then move to the next step.....

Remove stem from Schrader valve at the end of the bulkhead.
    Place a hose over the end of the valve (I got my hose from Home Depot - they sell it by the foot)

Place the Sub-Driver under water in the tub. Hold both ends so you do not pop them off and gently blow into the tube.
    You should be able to see where bubbles are coming from.

I hope this helps, if I missed your need or you need clarification, let me know.
    Peace,
    Tom
    Last edited by trout; 10-26-2015, 02:28 AM.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• gogiantks
      Ensign
      • Oct 2015

The o- rings look good, I'll try some pressure in the compartment.

Comment

• Von Hilde
        Rear Admiral
        • Oct 2011

might suggest here is instead of submersing the WTC would be forget the hose and just use a bicycle pump on the valve and a cup of soapy water and a brush. dont need to pump till you brush the soapy water on suspected area No need to pump a lot, just gradually bump the plunger in and out. You will see the slightest leaks bubble. Make sure you dont have a bad valve that doesnt properly seat, as well, or is not screwed in tight, which happens quit a bit. Test the valve, by slightly pressurising the cylinder with the pump, "Onelittle shot"on the pump or the caps will pop off. then soap the end of the valve itself.

Comment

• Subculture
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Another technique I use for checking smaller enclosures, especially if they don't have a means of pressurizing the inside is to submerge it in hot water. This expands the air inside and leaks make themselves apparent in a stream of bubbles.

Comment

Working...