Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

Entombed!

Two workers were accidentally entombed inside the ballast tank of a nuclear submarine, it has emerged.
    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!
  • bwi 971
    Captain
    • Jan 2015

They can write a zillion procedures for entering enclosed spaces, but common sense and apprenticeship are the best preventive measure, and always carry an 8in adjustable wrench and screwdriver in our pocket they are lifesavers. Just hit the deck, learn the morse code for SOS . . . _ _ _ . . . , with you spanner they will hear you throughout the entire ship,

And that’s the purpose of the long thin pocket down the outside of the right thigh on your boilersuit, to hold these tools.

Grtz,
    Bart
    Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
    "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• Subculture
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Someone is in for a bollocking over that!

Either they don't have a proper procedure for entering confined spaces (difficult to believe) or someone was taking a chance and come unstuck.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

sounds like an old episode of One Step Beyond. Ghosts in the ballast tanks.

M
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• bwi 971
          Captain
          • Jan 2015

Some want to get out....others want to get in.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kimssub002.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	109197
          "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by bwi 971
            Some want to get out....others want to get in.

[ATTACH]n109197[/ATTACH]

One of the two boat swimmer-divers (a secondary duty -- I did the same on the WEBSTER). Boat looks to me to be a STURGEON class because of the portable cleat brackets back by the transducer. Bet he's making fast a line-locker that popped upon during patrol -- and the reason all boats stowed their mooring lines below, in the bilges, when going out to sea.

I had it even worse on one patrol, had to work inside the missile superstructure to tie down a broken missile hatch clam-shell fairing -- in state-three seas. Much good fun.

M
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• bwi 971
              Captain
              • Jan 2015

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

One of the two boat swimmer-divers (a secondary duty -- I did the same on the WEBSTER). Boat looks to me to be a STURGEON class because of the portable cleat brackets back by the transducer. Bet he's making fast a line-locker that popped upon during patrol -- and the reason all boats stowed their mooring lines below, in the bilges, when going out to sea.

I had it even worse on one patrol, had to work inside the missile superstructure to tie down a broken missile hatch clam-shell fairing -- in state-three seas. Much good fun.

M

Jeez, and character building too

Grtz,
              Bart
              "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• APA228
                Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                • Feb 2015

Hey David you're showing your age. I remember that episode, a Jewish slave laborer was sealed in a U Boat ballast tank and when they tried escaping a destroyer, his skeleton which still held a hammer in its hand, began hitting the sides of the BT and they were caught. When the BT was opened they found the skeleton.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by APA228
                  Hey David you're showing your age. I remember that episode, a Jewish slave laborer was sealed in a U Boat ballast tank and when they tried escaping a destroyer, his skeleton which still held a hammer in its hand, began hitting the sides of the BT and they were caught. When the BT was opened they found the skeleton.

That show was the ONLY fantasy/SF anthology type that ever creeped me out -- it was the intro and exit music, I would hear that and it took three blankets over my head to get to sleep. A great show (One Step Beyond)! And, by and large, each episode had fine acting and higher-than-standard production values.

Old? Hell I remember Tom Corbet, Captain Video, and Top Secrete. To me, the initial airing of SUPERCAR in the States is recent history. I remember the DuMont TV network.

M
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• APA228
                    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                    • Feb 2015

I grew up on Victory At Sea right after it had been played weekly at the local movies. As far as Dumont TV how about Don Winslow of the Coast Guard, Silent Service, Navy Log, Tim Tyler's Luck, Soldiers of Fortune, Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers? Not to mention all the old western cowboys like Lash Larue, Gene Autry, Hopalong Cassidy and a host others?

Comment

Working...