X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Albion
    Captain
    • Dec 2008

Black Sea

Just watched this movie on the plane. Submarine movie involving a Foxtrot, whats not to like!! Basic plot is good, but technically very full of holes. Scavenging parts of a German U boat which has sunk in the Black sea, and is still water tight 70 years later, implausible. Using said scavenged parts to allow them to drive their boat to the surface. did i mention the scavenged part was the crankshaft from the diesel, impossible!

Forget everything you know know about subs, switch off your brain and enjoy the Fox

Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Albion
    Just watched this movie on the plane. Submarine movie involving a Foxtrot, whats not to like!! Basic plot is good, but technically very full of holes. Scavenging parts of a German U boat which has sunk in the Black sea, and is still water tight 70 years later, implausible. Using said scavenged parts to allow them to drive their boat to the surface. did i mention the scavenged part was the crankshaft from the diesel, impossible!

Forget everything you know know about subs, switch off your brain and enjoy the Fox

I can't speak to the MAN Diesels. But the TRUTTA's Fairbanks-Morse diesels were all but impossible to get at. However, and I think this is the most involved an Enginman can get with the mains while underway, the guys in the after engine room did swap out a couple of cylinder liners (I was involved in the topside high-line transfer of the parts from another squadron boat). We were knocking about off the bad side of Cuba at the time. Sweat pumps to fast. Two of the mains were off line after gulping some sea-water, which left only one. (Not four mains like as-built, this guppy-2A lost a main to make room for the Prairi-Masker compressor).

Lifting the block to get at a crankshaft while underway? Yeah ... right.

Click image for larger version

Name:	030 (3).JPG
Views:	135
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	108845Click image for larger version

Name:	001 (2).JPG
Views:	83
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	108846Click image for larger version

Name:	023 (8).JPG
Views:	101
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	108847Click image for larger version

Name:	008 (4).JPG
Views:	104
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	108848Click image for larger version

Name:	089.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	108849Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0103.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	108850Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0117.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	108851Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0180.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	108852Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0185.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	108853

M
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Albion
      Captain
      • Dec 2008

They werent underway, but took the crank out of a Type VII or Type IX, and ta daa it fits the foxtrot
      Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• Von Hilde
        Rear Admiral
        • Oct 2011

OOps, only u boats on the bottom in the Black Sea are the 6 type IIs the Germans shipped over to Turkey. The 2 that were sunk off the Romanian coast at Constanza by Russian air raid in 1944. U9 and U18.. The other 4 are still in Turkish waters 3 are close to shore in relitivly shallow water U 19 20 and 23 the other is deep and only ROV accessible, U24. The 3 inshore were scuttled by the germans and blown up interior is compromised and full of sand and silt. If a Foxtrot was anywhere near the Turkish wrecks they would have been easily discovered by JUSMMAT sensors and definitly "Dispached" Immiediatly. If you really want to know about the Black Sea U Boats, I have a good friend who is a Turkish marine archiologist, Taner Aksoy. He has several of those wrecks surveyed and photographed. We have been corrisponding for a few years about raising one for the Turkish Merritime Museum, in Istanbul. I am friends with Dr Selcuk Kolay who is curator and have been building a 1/24th scale model of the U24 for the museum to have in place of the real deal, untill the possibility of raising the U 24. Due to goverment issues, at this time, were on hold till the funds start flowing again. I have been invited to tag along on a camera recon with an ROV, and the possibility of a ride in a submersible to get up close and personal. Teckno dive for sure, and my ticker aint running 100% so we'll see. To get the crank out of any of them?? Got a better chance of running into Elvis, and Jeasus havin a chat at the Starbucks in Peoria on a Sunday. A good movie? Sharknado IX comming soon. Click image for larger version

Name:	Taner Aksoy.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	108872
        check out his u boat dive pictures. Search for U Boats found on the bottom off turkey pictures or go to his site
        Last edited by Von Hilde; 07-16-2015, 09:24 AM.

Comment

• Von Hilde
          Rear Admiral
          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

I can't speak to the MAN Diesels. But the TRUTTA's Fairbanks-Morse diesels were all but impossible to get at. However, and I think this is the most involved an Enginman can get with the mains while underway, the guys in the after engine room did swap out a couple of cylinder liners (I was involved in the topside high-line transfer of the parts from another squadron boat). We were knocking about off the bad side of Cuba at the time. Sweat pumps to fast. Two of the mains were off line after gulping some sea-water, which left only one. (Not four mains like as-built, this guppy-2A lost a main to make room for the Prairi-Masker compressor).

Lifting the block to get at a crankshaft while underway? Yeah ... right.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n108845[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]n108846[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]n108847[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]n108848[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]n108849[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]n108850[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]n108851[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]n108852[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]n108853[/ATTACH]

M
          hey Dave, what scale is that F? Looks like just a different tower would be suitable type XXI substitute, project 641 boats were reworked type XXIs

Comment

Working...