Arkmodel 1/48 Type 212 & 3.5 Subdriver Help!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heat16
    Ensign
    • Jun 2013

Arkmodel 1/48 Type 212 & 3.5 Subdriver Help!

Gentlemen,

I have the Arkmodel 1/48 U31 Type 212 submarine kit and would like to use my 3.5 Sub driver (1/72 Skipjack version) to power it, my question is concerning mounting of the sub driver, should I place it dead center in the hull (I intend to modify the 2 bulkheads for the 3.5 driver) so that it aligns with the prop shaft in the Bayonet stern. OR should I mount the driver low in the hull CG & Balance with a angled drive shaft in the stern portion. I haven't figured how to incorporate the Bayonet locking of the two hulls together, I'm stymied with keeping placement of the snork systems in the center. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Disposition of the SD's centerline does not have to fall along the centerline of the hull. If using the Dumas dog-bone and coupler, an angular offset as much as 25-degrees is fine.

Since you have turned a dry-hull into a wet-hull, no need to sweat the radial bayonet fitting and the access limitation it imposes. Convert to a classic Z-cut and you're good to go. Access to the internals will be much easier. Break out the carbide cut-off wheel and go to town on that sucker!

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...