• Aug 2008

Our first Nauticus run of the model boating season

Running the Moebius 'movie' SEAVIEW at Nauticus

David
    Who is John Galt?
  • Subculture
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

I see you've managed to crack the removal of e time and date stamp, that looks better.

Comment

• Rick Teskey
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Jan 2009

Looks like you've tamed the Beast she's running well that camera system will probably work great in a proteus the smaller window frames

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
        I see you've managed to crack the removal of e time and date stamp, that looks better.
        LOL. Yes! And in no small way I succeeded because of your efforts to help me get that damned stamp off the image. As it turned out, all I had to do was substitute a '1' with a '0' and it was done.

I would be remise if I failed to also extend a 'thank-you' to Tom Chalfont, who also worked to find a way to get that date-time stamp off the video image. A wile back Tom sent me his version of an 808 video camera watertight enclosure which has its own unique attributes -- an item I can't wait to address and maybe (with his permission) take to market.

And I can't mention enough how user-friendly your little tear-drop shaped camera enclosure is, Andy. A beautiful design, and exceptionally well crafted. You've got to go commercial with that thing!

I still have to assemble and install the detailed 'observation compartment' that comes with this SEAVIEW kit. Right now the model is in the rough and is far from being display-ready.

David
        Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 05-24-2017, 11:04 AM.
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Rick Teskey
          Looks like you've tamed the Beast she's running well that camera system will probably work great in a proteus the smaller window frames
          I'm with you, Rick. Problem with the PROTEUS is getting the video view past Raquel's big tits!

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Rick Teskey
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Jan 2009

That's true the girl with the rack Who corpuscles attack

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Rick Teskey
              That's true the girl with the rack Who corpuscles attack
              Ladies and Gentlemen, our poet Loiret, Rick Teskey! He'll be here all week ... try the veil.

I started a sculpt of her for your big PROTEUS, Rick. But, Ellie made me stop.

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

I never intended producing the 808 enclosures to sell. The idea was to produce half a dozen or so, and hand them out at dive ins for attendees to fix to their boats, and subsequent footage could be edited together and put on YouTube etc.

At the time, we weren't exactly spoilt for choice when it came to small cameras for underwater use. There were the actioncam series, which were okay, but ia little pricey and picture quality wasn't great. Then we had the the go pro HD series just coming online, very nice, but expensive and large enough to drag a small boat right out of the water.

Even the action cams created handling issues if attached to smaller boats. I'd been using the 808 for aerial footage, and thought they did a decent job and were affordable. So I made an enclosure that was as streamlined as possible so they could be used underwater. They're labour intensive to make though, so not economic to mass produce. Also six years on, there are now numerous alternatives available. Bob posted a very good 2k cam, bullet shaped and watertight for about $30. You could easily have added a zero to that figure back when I made those pods.

Time and technology moves on.

Currently working on 1/22 Seehund. Started off as a 1st generation hull from RPMtech, but nothing is the same anymore. Every quarter inch reworked. Done quite a bit more work on the conning tower fairing since this was taken.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
                  I never intended producing the 808 enclosures to sell. The idea was to produce half a dozen or so, and hand them out at dive ins for attendees to fix to their boats, and subsequent footage could be edited together and put on YouTube etc.

At the time, we weren't exactly spoilt for choice when it came to small cameras for underwater use. There were the actioncam series, which were okay, but ia little pricey and picture quality wasn't great. Then we had the the go pro HD series just coming online, very nice, but expensive and large enough to drag a small boat right out of the water.

Even the action cams created handling issues if attached to smaller boats. I'd been using the 808 for aerial footage, and thought they did a decent job and were affordable. So I made an enclosure that was as streamlined as possible so they could be used underwater. They're labour intensive to make though, so not economic to mass produce. Also six years on, there are now numerous alternatives available. Bob posted a very good 2k cam, bullet shaped and watertight for about $30. You could easily have added a zero to that figure back when I made those pods.

Time and technology moves on.

Currently working on 1/22 Seehund. Started off as a 1st generation hull from RPMtech, but nothing is the same anymore. Every quarter inch reworked. Done quite a bit more work on the conning tower fairing since this was taken.
                  Yeah, I hear you Andy. But, be assured, though its a very rare item, you'll 808 case will get a lot of mileage from me. Love the thing.

Drop that SEEHUND and finish that Beatles sub -- you're so close! Gimbal those two propellers and you're in business.

David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                    Admiral
                    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

I would be remise if I failed to also extend a 'thank-you' to Tom Chalfont, who also worked to find a way to get that date-time stamp off the video image. A wile back Tom sent me his version of an 808 video camera watertight enclosure which has its own unique attributes -- an item I can't wait to address and maybe (with his permission) take to market.

David
                    You had and still have my permission.
                    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
                      You had and still have my permission.
                      Thank you sir -- your case will make a fine addition to my video equipment.

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...