Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Assembling The HMK Creations, 1/72 PERMIT/THRESHER Kit

I received a preliminary copy of this big kit over a year ago, I say this so the reader understands that the contents, though even then the most complete and well thought out GRP (fiberglass) plastic model kit of a submarine I've ever seen, is not the enhanced kit now available through the Caswell company -- a fine kit is now even better.

So, as you follow along with me here, know that improvements have been made to the product and things you see me doing on this particular assembly job may not be required on the new product.

That out of the way, let me say this: Wow! I love this kit!
    ________
    LOVE STORIES ADVICE
    Attached Files
    Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 02-19-2011, 02:20 AM.
    Who is John Galt?
  • Outrider
    Commander
    • Aug 2008

I'm assuming this kit is the one that has a 43 page instruction manual available here from Caswell:

The instructions for this kit are well organized and the necessary procedural steps are thoroughly documented with photos and text. I find that manual to be an excellent basis for similar work.
    ________
    Ferrari f2007 specifications

Comment

• Aug 2008

Right you are, Jim. Man! ... Joel's done a fantastic job with this kit.

After over a year of sitting in an un-heated shed in the original heavy-duty shipping tube, the two hull halves had not warped at all and when first test fitted together, fit perfectly with no bowing out or any dimensional creep I could detect. The glass work is very good -- the ideal ratio of resin to glass, and a perfectly smooth surface. He obviously took care to build up laminates of ever increasing weave thickness. Nominal wall thickness of the GRP hull pieces is around 1//16".

I'm loving this assembly job. The kit has not presented any nasty surprises so far. And even I have picked up a few good pointers from the Instruction Manual provided.

Joel is now a force to be reckoned with.

David,
      ________
      YAMAHA CP300 SPECIFICATIONS
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Slats
        Vice Admiral
        • Aug 2008

Glad you like it to David.
        I like what you did with the indexing lips, and I'll be interested to see if you install the supplied clip tabs in the hull. I by-passed that - the hull is Perfectly aligned the two screws hold the thing tight and neatly together.
        Ditto on Joel - its everything you could want in a GRP sub kit and more.

J
        ________
        California Dispensary
        John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
        Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Slats
          Vice Admiral
          • Aug 2008

Hey David,
          when you can squeezing in some time - I'd love to see this thread progress, especially in terms of incorporating the SD around the T Tubes.
          Best
          J
          ________
          Hawaii marijuana dispensary
          Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 02-19-2011, 02:30 AM.
          John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
          Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Slats
            Hey David,
            when you can squeezing in some time - I'd love to see this thread progress, especially in terms of incorporating the SD around the T Tubes.
            Best
            J
            I'll have to, John. Have to get the boat in fighting trim come this August.

David,
            ________
            Ford Mustang
            Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 02-19-2011, 02:30 AM.
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...