Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

A More Powerful 3.5" SubDriver

New r/c submarine kits have been released, and more are in the works. And some of these (specifically those requiring a single propeller/rotor shaft) require more torque at the shaft than a single 500/sized motor can deliver.

So, time has come to add another SubDriver to the Caswell empire: a 3.5 SD that will apply two motors to the shaft through a higher ratio gear train.

Well over a year ago the need for this more powerful SD was identified by Bob Martin, when he announced the anticipated release of his big Disney NAUTILUS hull kit. At that time I promised to give the matter my attention, but other things kept getting in the way. Well, now that his kit (a masterful piece of engineering and execution) is on the market, I'm in the position of playing catch-up with the needed SD motor bulkhead this beast requires: a prime mover with the power to push the big NAUTILUS -- with its rivet infested, faceted surfaces fighting every water molecule it comes into contact with -- through the water at 'collision speed'.

The big NAUTILUS is one end-user of the new motor-bulkhead. Another will be the soon to be released, 1/72 SEAWOLF kit Joel is working on.

So, what I'll be presenting here is a quick look for you guys who want to see what goes on behind the curtain at D&E as I set about the task of designing, laying out, and fabrication of the masters, tools, and production parts of a new SubDriver's guts.

Enjoy the read and pretty pictures … bask in the warm glow of my magnificence as I perform feats of wonder and amazement with a skill and majesty you mouth-breathing commoners can only marvel at.

Designing (Engineering is another like term) a machine is determining what it is you want a machine/device to do and arranging the items that constitute the machine in such a way that the machine performs the desired task.

First, you sit down, and working with the dimensions of the items that will be integrated, you determine (on paper and physical mock-ups) a workable assembly that does the task intended; you figure out physical arrangement, means of holding the items together, and what will be the most efficient interaction of all the moving items involved.

It’s vital to come up with an arrangement that permits easy and quick maintenance or repair actions. In other words: will the proposed final assembly present unnecessary problems of disassembly/assembly in the course of repair or maintenance? If so, you gotta change the design. What does it take to alter the design to achieve a more user-friendly machine/device that still retains its utility? Often machine efficiency is sacrificed for machine maintainability -- such is the curse of working in the real world.

(Aquadeep: call your office!).

Design sometimes is a very fluid process; things change as you fine-tune the arrangement to suite design criteria.

Good design is embodied in a machine of simple arrangement, ease of access to its parts, and the efficient transport of energy from one part of the machine to the other. Rule of thumb: A quiet, cool machine in motion is a good machine.

(Water-cooling, in our game anyway, is an indicator of poor design).

Below you see a bit of the process of design, as well as the tools and practices of layout. Layout is the process of transferring a two-dimensional design graphic (working drawing) onto a three-dimensional item/part/master object. Here I’m preparing to work a RenShape (the ideal model making medium, available from Caswell Inc.) blank on the lath, drill press, and milling machine to achieve the shape, penetrations, and other features called out for in the working drawing. The best possible drawing is useless unless you transfer those dimensions and features accurately onto the work.

Layout is the God of accuracy.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 10-21-2009, 07:10 PM.
    Who is John Galt?
  • Slats
    Vice Admiral
    • Aug 2008

Hi David,
    is this just going to be a bigger more powerful back end?
    I think the with the greater use of LiPO's and NIMHs the 3.5" SD could benefit from a conduit through the tank to a dry battery / equipment space forward. Is this in the works too, and if so can it be couple with a standard single motor for those who don't need the extra torque?

Thanks
    J
    John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
    Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Slats
      Hi David,
      is this just going to be a bigger more powerful back end?
      I think the with the greater use of LiPO's and NIMHs the 3.5" SD could benefit from a conduit through the tank to a dry battery / equipment space forward. Is this in the works too, and if so can it be couple with a standard single motor for those who don't need the extra torque?

Thanks
      J
      Once again, John, you prove the old adage: Great minds think alike.

Yes, just for the reason you identified (better battery energy density) I'm introducing a conduit tube between the new 3.5" after ballast bulkhead and forward ballast bulkhead. Also, I'm making these two central bulkheads with O-ring sealed collars both sides -- this will give the end-user the ability to custom size his three cylinder sections (battery space, ballast tank, after space). The new 3.5, single shaft SubDriver will be extremely flexible as to how you arrange the cylinder sections.

And the current work, the single-shaft motor bulkhead I've been discussing: Yes, it can be equipped with either a single or two motors. More end-user flexibility. Or, you can use the current motor bulkhead in combination with the new ballast bulkheads. Caswell will sell either a complete SubDriver or the individual assemblies so you can mix-and-match to suit a specific application.

David,
      Attached Files
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Slats
        Vice Admiral
        • Aug 2008

That is going to be great David.

The flexibility this will afford will be tremendous, especially if the end user can adjust the size of the ballast tank by ordering a specific size (length) and assemble themselves.

Indeed for a RCABS experiments I am working on I'd like to buy a 3.5" motor endcaps preassembeled with single motor, gear box, and 3 x 1/8" push rod seals.

Was thinking that other custom WTC builders might want to accelerate their build time by buying the various diameter motor endcaps preassembled that you offer as part of other SD's?

For those (including myself) that are not that familar with the Disney Nautilus large model and the 72nd scale Seawolf pump jet, is it the sheer diameter and surface area of the blades that require more torque? I have built and ran the 1/72 OTW Trafalgar with pump jet and whilst this ran fine with the standard single motor 3.5" SD I did feel that the motor (even with the 3:1 gear box) was working fairly hard pushing that big pump jet along.

All that said - get the torpedo units in production please pre Christmas!

J

Serial pest
        Last edited by Slats; 10-21-2009, 11:35 PM. Reason: Had a brain wave - added stuff
        John Slater

Sydney Australia

Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Kazzer
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Slats
          All that said - get the torpedo units in production please pre Christmas!

John

Serial pest

Keep up the good work! It's buggin' The Wiz!
          Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Albion
            Captain
            • Dec 2008

I got the mail shot today regards the DIY sub drivers, which btw is great for people like me who like creating their own wtc ballast system but dotn have great access to lathes etc for end caps. it enables me to use the pre built drive and servo mounts which the sub drivers have.

Might i ask that you state what ID tubing these are designed for as there are many different thicknesses about. Also if the seals are suitable for positive / negative pressures.

thks
            Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Albion
              I got the mail shot today regards the DIY sub drivers, which btw is great for people like me who like creating their own wtc ballast system but dotn have great access to lathes etc for end caps. it enables me to use the pre built drive and servo mounts which the sub drivers have.

Might i ask that you state what ID tubing these are designed for as there are many different thicknesses about. Also if the seals are suitable for positive / negative pressures.

thks

Our 3" and 3.5" SD's employ a Lexan cylinder of 1/8" wall thickness.

Our 2.5" and smaller diameter SD's employ a Lexan cylinder of 1/16" wall thickness.

Do the math.

Our seals are designed to hold up under positive outside pressure. But, we'll fit seals suitable to stay tight against both positive and negative pressures if requested -- it'll cost ya!

David,
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Merriman

-- it'll cost ya!

David,

But not much! (He's got such a sweet manner, hasn't he!):wink:

Comment

• Slats
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Aug 2008

Originally posted by kazzer
                  Keep up the good work! It's buggin' The Wiz!
                  Well I'd rather not bug him too much.
                  You know the old saying......Don't buy the hand that feeds you....well the fact David is getting this product into the hands of smucks like me and takes the time to develop products is something I don't take for granted.

That said it would be great to have some idea as to when the torpedoe system is avaliable. I have two boats I will be working on over Christmas and I really don't want to retro fit the torpedoes later. If I could some how sleave fit the tubes (that is install slightly bigger tubes now) that might be an option - But its all up to you guys....And Mike in the meantime can you please work out what its all going to cost!

Now back on topic - I think this new SD is going to be great...
                  J
                  Last edited by Slats; 11-05-2009, 06:38 PM. Reason: spellin
                  John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Aug 2008

Don't count on anything this year, I've been swamped with production work (a good thing) and that's taken time away from the weapon and launcher work. Sorry. Should never had announced this thing. Lesson learned.

David,
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
                      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Merriman
                      Sorry. Should never had announced this thing. Lesson learned.

David,

Huh! Just get on with the damned things and stop yer snivelling! We have orders to write and wheelbarrows full of money to push!

Comment

Working...