X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Revell Type VII re-released?

I just got an email from tower hobbies (I am not soliciting for them) http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=IA&I=LXECT7 They are selling the sub again. I had heard rumors of it being released again, even the Revell Germany site had it listed as new item for this year. So this is the first for seeing it up for sale. Does this mean we will see an influx of new builders?
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

... from you lips to God's ear, pal.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
      • Aug 2008

We have a bunch of them in stock.

See http://www.caswellplating.com/models/rviic.html
      Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

Mike,
        True you do have them listed, but you also have a disclaimer that says "IMPORTANT NOTE - 05045 AND 05015 MODELS HAVE BEEN DISCONTINUED BY REVELL. WE HAVE A VERY LIMITED STOCK AVAILABLE. MODELS ARE ONLY AVAILABLE AS PART OF A COMPLETE RC KIT. YOU WILL RECEIVE AN 05045 OR 05015 MODEL WITH YOUR ORDER OF A KIT, DEPENDING ON WHAT WE HAVE IN STOCK.", so it is not just the model.

David,
        I don't know, would you have the patience to put up with me if I built the VII for my next build? LOL
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Listen:

Of all the happy-horse-****, stupid, raving, and downright un-thinking questions that have been put to me over the decades, I've found the stuff you and your partner-in-crime shoot at me to me a delightful change of pace.

Anything's an improvement over what I was getting from that insufferable Jungleload idiot of a few years back... I was ready to get a court-ordered restraining order against that nut job! Your daily whines are usually thought out and to the point. To be fair, most questions I get at the SD forum are reasonable. If not, I kill and eat the offender. Problem solved. As with the current GATO thread, another one dealing with the 1/72 Type-7 can only help those looking over our shoulders. I got tons of in-work shots that will help you with specific problems you can't work out on your own. And, you're in luck: Kerry Addington is doing a Revell 1/72 Type-7 build WIP thread too, so you can see his approach as well as the one I took with my little beastoid.

But, I digress.

Get the kit and goodies, make me and Mike rich, and I'll string you guys along, providing your credit-cards holds up.

By the way, the 1/72 Type-7 is one of my favorite boats to play with at shows and at the pond -- quick to ready, reliable, turns great, easy to transport and has the 'look'.

Oh, and thanks for posting the link of the current thread over at the SC site. Mike and me are getting a good laugh at all the cricket sounds your post got in way of answer from the Prima donna's over there. Ha!

David,
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

O.K. that got your hackles up! I do have the VII and fittings already, so I will make that the next sub (unless that Skipjack crosses my path - it looks excellent from what I saw).
            I am, to say the least, disappointed by the response from SC site. My reason for doing the build here was originally because of Mike's invitation to get moving on the Gato and enter, but also I intended to use mostly Caswell/D&E stuff and in respect to you, I am doing it at your site (and look at the help I have gotten, look how much is done! - before you say it I will get back to building). I am a newcomer and have not had the history and know all the ins and outs of the bad feelings (although we have talked on other posts about it) between the different sites, but should a newcomer suffer because of something that happened 2,4,7(?) years ago? Should anyone be shunned by SC because (oh my in some way) I am in cahoots with the enemy or I mentioned "he that cannot be named" [how childish!]? Sigh, I just deleted my rant that followed - I let off steam, but chose not to post it. On a cooler note, I remember my dad had to work with IBM back in the late 60's and early 70's for some government/Rocketdyne work he was doing. He was so disgusted by IBM's attitude that from that experience that if it was IBM he would avoid it. I cannot reason for this thought process, I have been guilty of forming the same ideas - I visit a restaurant and get crummy food, do I return? Maybe. If it happens again, do I go back? probably not.
            The cricket sounds you are hearing are going to hurt SC because some are holding on to old hurts. I know that you can unleash harsh words, but you have a heart to help. I would rather get yelled at than be ignored. The killer is, there are good people on both sides of the fence. I just had a discussion with a student moments ago wondering why companies cannot just get along. Great question.

Comment

• Aug 2008

The problems Mike and I are presented with over at SC and SubPirates (ironically, a site specifically created to provide me a forum where I could speak freely -- boy, did that change!) originate with and continue because of a small number of people who I got honest with, and their associates. Some of those guys are the gate-keepers at those sites, and as you've seen, they will indeed cut off their nose to spite their face: the potential interest, discussion, information exchange, and advancement of the Craft they had in your potential (that potential remains) info exchange would have been (can still be if they can swallow the bile) a shot-in-the-arm to their effort to increase the ranks at their all but abandoned forums.

PC is killing the SC and SubPirates forums. Over here you get the attention you deserve and blunt, honest, to the point responses (most of the time with a slight smile behind it). Over there you get ... what? Smiley faces and regurgitated info that originated by guys like Weeks, Bruggen, Asay, Dory, me, and the other innovators, inventors, and manufacturers who roamed a still warm earth eons ago.

Any technical support offered by a group is only as strong as the compancy of the elites within the group who assume the role of mentor. And it's all for naught if those elites can't or are unable to communicate effectively with the great-unwashed that constitutes the majority of the group. The advancements made, the practability of those advancements, and marketing of the devices and systems employing those advancements is useless information and effort unless it can be communicated and/or offered to those who seek it.

The SC and the SubPirates sites only occasionally see a post by a competent elite. However, most of the time, the traffic at those sites is useless pleasantries, and tail-gate party level good-ole-boy chatter.

Over here you have resident elites, on call, professionals in their area of expertise, responsive to most posters and eager to help. Over there, at SubPirates and the SC: take a number and they'll get to you one of these days, if you kiss the appropriate amount of ass, and don't stray over to the wrong side of the tracks.

There! .... that felt good. I need a handy-wipe!

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• ADDINGTON
                Lieutenant
                • Sep 2008

Trout, et al,
                As David mentioned, I am working on a Revell Type7 build with his fittings kit and SubDriver.
                Please feel free to email or PM me anytime to compare notes.
                I think David would agree that the 7 is a much less demanding and daunting task for R/C conversion than the Gato.
                Virtually all of the instruction for kit build and necessary modifications to accept the fittings and control hardware has come from the Type7 cabal reports on this site. Guidance for the Type7 2.0 SubDriver can be found in the document produced for the Moebius Seaview 2.0. A traditional 'build thread' from my project would not break much new ground, but allow me to share some variances:
                Anticipating a future refit with 1/72 torpedos and a space need for an operating servo in the fwd battery compartment, I have routed the switch wiring off to the sides using two 'strain relief' blocks:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	SD-2 SWITCH 01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	65431

Also, here's a stab at facilitating trapped air venting thru the conning tower with the pair of fwd holes seen here, which are fairly hidden when the bridge framework is attached.

Name:	BRIDGE HOLES.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	65430

Name:	TESTFIT BRIDGE.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	65432

To clarify, my "WIP thread" will be a video not of the build per se, but instead showing "newbies," "wannabes" (and others who have never actually seen an R/C sub in person)how the Caswell/Merriman SD and fittings kit bring the model into motion. My plan in early 2012 is to construct a small acrylic aquarium/tank sized to the 7 that will allow me to shoot things like the SD working in-water, among other things letting the viewer actually see how the LPB and gas systems operate. The intent of the production is to reduce some of the trepidation potential R/C sub builders might have, and maybe remove some obstacles for those who want to join our hobby. Very fortunate that the Revell VII kit will be in good supply for the near future-
                again, as David mentioned, it's a great subject for R/C conversion.
                -Kerry
                Last edited by ADDINGTON; 12-01-2011, 12:49 PM.

Comment

• trout
                  Admiral
                  • Jul 2011

Kerry,
                  It is great to meet you. Look forward to your videos and applaud your heart towards breaking the fear factor for newbies. So far those I have talked to have been very interested in R/C submarine and I was just talking to someone who has had their Gato model in storage and watching our postings on Gato build is inspiring them to jump in. My hope is that they will take that leap of faith and jump in. Thank you for your offer to help, will pm you to discuss the ground work for me starting.

Comment

• greenman407
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

Hey Kerry!, Long time no see.........or hear. Hows the giant Seaview?
                    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Hey ... ALBACORE-boy! Stay on topic, damit!

Kerry!? Where are you?

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Reckless
                        Lieutenant Commander
                        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                        By the way, the 1/72 Type-7 is one of my favorite boats to play with at shows and at the pond -- quick to ready, reliable, turns great, easy to transport and has the 'look'.

Oh, and thanks for posting the link of the current thread over at the SC site. Mike and me are getting a good laugh at all the cricket sounds your post got in way of answer from the Prima donna's over there. Ha!

David,

hell I'm new to subs but have been lurking sub forums for around 4 years.. and even *I* get a chuckle on SC subpirates... etc ... anytime David, caswell, Subdriver.. etc is mentioned at all... its goes dead.. or they try real real hard to steer the convo back to their way

I've even had people message me on RCgroups and say they refuse to post to my question but if I don't use a SD system I'm a moron.

Comment

• Aug 2008

welcome to the Cabal.

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• ADDINGTON
                            Lieutenant
                            • Sep 2008

Hello gents,
                            My Revell 7 is bathtub balanced and awaiting warm open water for alpha trials. Fun build? - you bet.
                            The beautiful Dennis DeBoer 80 is currently hanging from my shop ceiling. Following tests and trials last summer it became obvious that instead of my custom/hybrid genius junk, it needs a proper SubDriver and propulsors. My intention is to see what kind of SD David and Dennis come up with then I will build one incorporating the newfangled SAS.
                            As I once observed to David, wrangling a fully loaded 80 in and out of the water by yourself is like being Taft's only pallbearer. One "complex tear" in a knee to show for it.
                            But the 80 will return. If you've ever seen one in the water, even as an unpowered float, you know a little torn meniscus here and there is damn well worth it.
                            -Kerry
                            PS, You may have noticed my new avatar. It is from a .gif file and Buck should be moving. Instead he remains Turgidson.
                            Is there a trick to uploading gif files as avatars?
                            Last edited by ADDINGTON; 03-02-2012, 09:57 AM. Reason: ps

Comment

• Kazzer
                              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by ADDINGTON
                              PS, You may have noticed my new avatar. It is from a .gif file and Buck should be moving. Instead he remains Turgidson.
                              Is there a trick to uploading gif files as avatars?
                              There is only one image in your upload. I don't think you copied the file correctly. Show me a moving one and I'll grab it for you.
                              Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

Working...