• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roedj
    Captain
    • Sep 2008

removing the micro servo that controls the ballast tank

David,

I've just discovered that the servo that controls the ballast tank "flapper-doodle" is probably blown on the 3.5" SAS SD - Skipjack. I've got no time to send it to you for fixing. I have replacement servos.

Question: What's the best way to remove the servo? I'm hoping I can just use a very long neck Phillips screwdriver to remove the screws holding the retainer strap on the servo and then wiggle the servo out. If, on the other hand, the only way to get to that servo is to remove the whole bulkhead, I shall most happily curse your name and then remove the whole bulkhead while questioning your lineage.

Please advise,

Dan
    Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

You're on the right track. But, first, remove the two wheel-collars on the wet side of the servo pushrod. Then, with the long-neck Phillip's screw-driver, remove the bracket and .... Bla-bla-blaaah!

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• roedj
      Captain
      • Sep 2008

Thanks for the help. The secret of your lineage is safe with me - for now.

Dan

Comment

• Aug 2008

for now!???........
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• roedj
          Captain
          • Sep 2008

David,

OK, so this is so embarrassing but I can't figure out how to remount the servo. No matter which way I orient the servo, the retainer strap and/or the push rod, I cannot get the holes in the strap to line up with the existing holes in the bulkhead.
          By any chance, do you have a picture showing how this servo is mounted? This picture should ideally show the orientation of the push rod and the strap.

BTW, I now am certain that I was the one who "zorked" the servo. I accidently put 12 volts on the servo buss instead of 5 volts. I'm just lucky I didn't take out the other servos and the receiver as well. Time for a nappy-poo.

Thanks for all your help and patience,

Commander Snooze

Comment

• roedj
            Captain
            • Sep 2008

David,

Never mind. I was too concentrating on making the new "identical" servo work. It's just lucky that when Caswell sent me the electronics kit for this SAS SD they enclosed the wrong servo. They sent the micro instead of the mini servo so when I torched the micro servo I had three more that Mike said I could just keep. Caswell did send me the correct mini servos.

Anyway, I was careful to make sure that the bad and new good servo were identical, model number and all. I set the bad servo aside and went to work trying to fit in the new servo. What I failed to notice, you sneaky devil, is that you removed the mounting tabs on the oriiginal, now bad, micro servo to get the retaining strap to fit. After trying to get the new servo to fit for at least an hour, I went and examined the old servo when I noticed the missing tabs. I'll get on it tomorrow.

BTW, I have to tell you it's just so much fun trying to cram my 4" OD hand down 8" into a 3" ID tube to mount that servo. I have to believe you mount that servo to the bulkhead before you stuff the bulkhead into the tube.

Onward and upward, Sydney or the bush,

Commander Crikey

Comment

• Aug 2008

Yes, I mount the servo before sliding the after ballast bulkhead home. But, you've worked out how to replace the thing in place.

We having fun yet?

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• roedj
                Captain
                • Sep 2008

I haven't had this much fun since the pigs ate my little brother.

Dan

Comment

• alad61
                  Commander
                  • Jan 2012

Originally posted by roedj
                  BTW, I have to tell you it's just so much fun trying to cram my 4" OD hand down 8" into a 3" ID tube to mount that servo. I have to believe you mount that servo to the bulkhead before you stuff the bulkhead into the tube.
                  This is how I got round the same scenario... Cause all the same fun was killing me!!
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Ballest servo extended driver.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	81064
                  Cheers,
                  Alec.

Reality is but a dream...
                  But to dream is a reality

Comment

• trout
                    Admiral
                    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by alad61
                    This is how I got round the same scenario... Cause all the same fun was killing me!!
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]20130[/ATTACH]
                    If you put a small amount of CA on the tip of the screw driver and attach the screw to it, I found it reduces the fun factor as well. The screw driver will pop off once you get the screw tightened down or at least started. I got tired of chasing screws or falling off just as I was about to get started in the hole.
                    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• roedj
                      Captain
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by trout
                      If you put a small amount of CA on the tip of the screw driver and attach the screw to it, I found it reduces the fun factor as well. The screw driver will pop off once you get the screw tightened down or at least started. I got tired of chasing screws or falling off just as I was about to get started in the hole.
                      Thank you, I'll try that. I had been using a small amount of RTV for the same purpose but it wasn't quite doing the job. I cannot seem to magnetize my screwdrivers enough to accomplish the task as well.

Dan

Comment

• Aug 2008

I employ stainless or brass mechanical fittings, for obviouse reasons. So, the magnet trick is doomed to failure (yes there is a bit of magnetic attraction to stainless, but not enough to be useful here). I agree with Tom, CA is the route to follow here.

David
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Albion
                          Captain
                          • Dec 2008

Austenitic stainless , the types known for their anti rusting properties (304 & 316), are not magnetic. Martensitic or hardenable stainless, is magnetic. And that's the way to see what type you have!
                          Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• roedj
                            Captain
                            • Sep 2008

OK, it's done. I used the CA trick - worked well.

I kept my composure throughout the ordeal. Didn't lose it when the screw fell off the screwdriver for the gazillionth time until I tried the CA trick. Didn't lose it when I had to stuff a 12" ruler down the tube to hold the servo in place while I inserted the screws into holes I couldn't really see because everything was in the way. Didn't lose it when I realized I had to turn the push rod 180 degrees to get the servo to line up. Got it all together - giant sigh of relief - until...

I realized that when I turned the push rod 180 degrees I forgot to also turn the wheel collars on the other end of the push rod so the set/grub screws faced out the ballast tank holes so they could be adjusted. That's when I lost it. I will admit that the name of the "Nameless One" got used in vain - several times.

So, took it all apart - turned the wheel collars around - put it all back together in half the time as the first time. I will say this for it though - it's not a mistake I'll make twice (I hope). I must say that I got kind of good at doing this fix in the end. If anyone else needs help with this I am willing to do it for you for only $1500 a pop - plus shipping and handling. Don't bother thanking me - no - really don't.

Commander Crazy

Comment

• Aug 2008

Now you know what makes me such a pleasant fellow.

David
                              Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 05-14-2013, 01:38 PM. Reason: spelling ... stupid machine did not catch it!
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...