X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reckless
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Jan 2012

revell skipjack "research" questions

okay .. .so slowly I'm finishing my revell type 7 (really.. really... slowly.. I HATE waiting for ordered parts... LOL I have everything I need to finish the beasty ..EXCEPT the freq module for my radio .. which is somewhere in post or sitting in the post office..)

now the type7 is awesome .. the caswell SD is awesome .. etc.. but I don't really feel like "I" built it ... and my local boating club does demo's and such with out own "pool" which can be anywhere from 12x12ft to 20x20ft (usually 12x12) .. about 2.5ft deep

the club pres and I were talking .. sub runners are a rare breed round here .. and we're trying to get new members, younger blood, etc

so I'm looking at the lil skipjack to fill a few roles, my first real "full" build, great simple little boat I can take pretty much anywhere, and something that can be run in the small demo pond

so... to those that designed, and those that have built and run their own... what kind of turning circle/manuvering room does it need, how much throttle is needed to put it under and keep it under?

and Dave... is their ANY chance of a price for an assembled SD for the skipjack? like with all the elecs, in and "set" minus the SL8 and lipo? (I have those already)

for some reason assembling a SD/WTC on my own scares the crap out of me... The Titanic
  • vital.spark
    Commander
    • May 2010

Hello Reckless,

I've completed the Seawolf, Revell Type VII and the Revell Gato and I'm now finishing off the little Revell Skipjack as I also need a small sub for the same reasons as you. I suggest you watch MIke's video and you will get an idea on how tight it turns. The subdriver is dead simple to finish off and really you should have no problems with it.

I know it's time consuming but I spent hours (actually days) going over every post in the forum and I can assure you that most questions asked now have already been asked and answered in the past.

Regards,

Myron

Regards,

Myron

Comment

• Reckless
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Jan 2012

I watched the video for it, but it was really hard to properly gauge the turning radius and speed to submerge and stay submerged.

I honestly don't doubt I could assemble the SD (i'm a mechanic by trade) it just scares me LOL ... I've gone through asmuch as I can source info wise on the forum for the "baby" skipjack ... just the specifics on it's turning radius and min speed it needs to go and stay under.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

When you trim the thing (remember, no ballast tank, so it's a dynamic diver), do so that at rest it floats with only 1/4" of sail sticking up into the air. Minimal speed is required to get it down and stay at any desired depth. Dead in the water it slowly surfaces.

Critical depth -- the depth at and below where 'box compression' negates the boats near-surface displacement advantage -- is about five-feet. So don't operate this thing where you're not prepared to dive in and scoop it off the bottom.

turning radius is under two-feet; that's a bit under a five-foot circle!

Put the SD kit together .... you pussy!

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Reckless
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Jan 2012

such encouraging inspiration.....

yeah the place I normally run is a max of 6ft deep (less in the summer the water level drops about 1ft on the lake) and pretty much crystal clear ... equaling excelent sub running... one of the reasons I kinda gravitated towards em

one week into brand new job (finally!) ... need to get a paycheck or two under my belt ... but march is a 3 pay month.. and tax return time... so chances are good it'll be soon

Comment

• Aug 2008

Don't rush into it. The gear will be there when you want it. Sounds like an excellent running site. Get that Type-7 running first.

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Reckless
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Jan 2012

if this stupid FM module for my radio would show up I would atleast be getting it wet and cursing trimming surface and submerge right now... same futaba module the wfly's use and there was a programable one thrown up awhile ago... if this thing doesn't surface soon I'll order one of those...

and I know the gear will be there ... but if you guys sell out of model kits.. I'mma cry ...

Comment

• vital.spark
                Commander
                • May 2010

Hello David,

How much ballast weight should I use in the Revell Skipjack? I see a triangular piece in front of the front subdriver stop, is this foam or lead?

Regards,

myron

Comment

• Aug 2008

Less than a half-ounce up forward, even less under the SD. Very tight in there, I would use pure U-238 (Hanford won't give up any of the good stuff though, I've tried -- unless you want to throw heavy bullets at bad-guys, then you can have all you want) if I had any! That's how tight it gets in there with foam, SD, and weight.
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...