X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Teaker11
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Dec 2011

WfT08 radio question

I want to try a different way, and looking at the manual, there are switches A through F, with VA,VB,VC are switches A,B,C have a variable adjustment with VA, VB, VC, I also need to know if any of the switches a 3 position switch. I could not find out in the manual, hopefully some one with a radio can answer this question
    Thanks
    Jim
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

All two-position switches. Too bad, I could use a three-way as well.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

David,
      Is the "F" switch on top of unit on the right hand side a 3 position? I maybe do not understand what is meant, and please forgive me if I am interjecting bad information, but I thought that switch has three positions - up, middle, down
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

You're keeping me honest, Trout. Good catch: YES, the F (and the B) switches are three-way. I was wrong: there are TWO three-way toggle-switches (which are assignable) atop the WFly-8 transmitter.

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• KevinMc
          Commander
          • Feb 2009

Tom's bang on - In fact both Switch B and Switch F are 3-position types.
          Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
          KMc Designs

Comment

• Teaker11
            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
            • Dec 2011

Thanks guys

Comment

• Aug 2008

Thanks, Kevin. Just another reason to love this transmitter -- so, so much easier to program than others. And your guide is a god-send for first-timers with this unit.

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• vital.spark
                Commander
                • May 2010

Hello Kevin,

Daved mentioned your guide is a god-send, where can I find it? At the moment I'm going one step forward and 2 steps backward.

Regards,

Myron

Comment

• Kazzer
                  • Aug 2008

Originally posted by vital.spark
                  Hello Kevin,

Daved mentioned your guide is a god-send, where can I find it? At the moment I'm going one step forward and 2 steps backward.

Regards,

Myron
                  Scroll down the forum until you find LINKS TO TECHNICAL DOCUMENTS which will take you to KNOWLEDGEBASE
                  scroll down to find Setting Up The WFLY Radio WFT08 8 ch
                  Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by vital.spark
                    Hello Kevin,

Regards,

Myron
                    Yeah, Myron, I too was a bit lost until Kevin came up with handy-dandy 'quick-start' guide. Use it and you'll be programming your WFly-8 in no time. The more I play with it, the better I appreciate its many applications. I've got the Futaba 9C and the Polk's Tracker-3, and the WFly-8 is my favorite 'computer' r/c transmitter.

Get two of 'em, we don't know how long these will be in production -- seems the trade is almost exclusively gone to the 2.4gHz band.

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• matthewnimmo
                      Commander
                      • Dec 2011

So, im going to use my wft08 for many different models (including planes). Obviously i dont want to buy a new transmiter for every model. Do i have to purchase wfly recievers to bind to this guy? Or can i get about any reciever and be able to bind? Also does it matter if i get a 4 channel reciever or 8 channel when binding?
                      ... a computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me with kickboxing!!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Get the term 'bind' out of it when dealing with a non-scanning type coding/modulation system like the FM WFly transmitters we use. There's nothing to synch up with the FM gear -- just the need for the transmitter and receiver to share the same frequency.

FM type receivers are the type you want to use with the WFly transmitter. Both transmitter and receiver work off of one specific frequency onto which is encoded/decoded the pulse train that conveys the information sent to operate the servos, ESC, and electronic switches.

These FM receivers are of two types, defined by how their detector circuit works: Those with the ability to scan and lock onto the transmitters frequency (synthetic crystal); or a receiver that employs a physical crystal (suited to that particular make of receiver) on the same frequency as that of the transmitter.

The Lepton-6 requires a crystal. The Sombra SL-8 is of the synthetic crystal type and will, after being linked with the transmitter (a one-time operation), will remain on that frequency until you elect to change to another frequency within the band(s) the receiver can handle (any frequency on the 72 and 75mHz bands for North American receivers).

Get a receiver than can handle at least six channels.

M
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• matthewnimmo
                          Commander
                          • Dec 2011

So, i went ahead and purchased the 6 channel Lepton from subdriver and since my wfly8 already is using tx48 72.750mhz i went ahead and purchased another rx crystal of that same frequency. That should do the trick then yes?:)
                          ... a computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me with kickboxing!!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Keep in mind that the crystal must be of the single (not double) conversion type, sized as a UM-1, and FM. So, you want an FM crystal that is for a single-conversion receiver, and the crystal size is that of a 'mini'.

Here's a good source for you, Matt: http://search.freefind.com/find.html...UBMIT=+Search+

M
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• matthewnimmo
                              Commander
                              • Dec 2011

Hmm. I might have gotten the wrong one then. But, i also have to keep in mind that my transmitter isnt 75mhz its 72mhz (you said Mike was going to check the warehouse to see what happened i guess) and this extra receiver is going to be for a plane. I want to use my transmitter for both subs and planes

on www.sub-driver.com. I purchased the lepton 6 channel. Within the description it said that i can get my crystals from this place http://www.caliberhobby.com/crystalrx.html

from there i purchased this exact crystal (GWX1/R72750

FM-RX CH-48 CRYSTAL: 10PPM/72. 750MHZ FOR PICO & NARO/UM-1/EP & JR
                              $10.00)

it seems to be the smaller sized one that matches my transmitter (which is 72.750). Did i get the wrong one?

Comment

Working...