X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Slats
    Vice Admiral
    • Aug 2008

WFLY RX - why do people prefer the Sombra Labs RX

Just wondering why most people here go for the combination of WFLY TX and Sombra Labs RX? Is the WFLY RX problematic?

- I am only asking as if the Euro Frequency Sombra Labs SL-8 is not available, then what problems will I encounter using the WFLY RX in a sub?

Thanks

J
    John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
    Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Temper what I'm about to say here in the light of where we model submariners stick these little receivers -- packed in up close, almost touching arcing and sparking motors and other RF emitting electrical/electronic devices; that poor receiver condemned to the Dante's Inferno of radio detection circuitry!

Some receivers have the selectivity and RF noise rejection ability to manage such an environment. But damn few of them! The Sombra Labs SL-6 and SL-8 have proved to me that they can. The Sombra Labs receivers are the Gold Standard. Thank you, Aroosh!

The WFLY receiver, in far too many installations, can't handle the environment!

If your r/c submarine is large enough to get the WFLY receiver well away from the motors, servos, and other electronics, then you will encounter little RF induced problems. However, put a WFLY receiver into a small boat, where things are jammed up tight, and its Glitch city!

John, you drive big subs, so you have the ability to distance your receiver well away from the RF noise makers. You're fine using the WFLY receiver.

WFLY transmitters are great, and cheap. And .... AVAILABLE!

David,
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• tsenecal
      Lieutenant
      • Dec 2009

the sombra labs SL-8 receiver that is currently installed in my alvin is less glitch prone than the futaba PCM receiver that it replaced.

the sombra labs works so well, i will be replacing the other 2 alvin receivers, and the futaba in my type II, and the GWS pos in my blueback. It has exceptional filtering abilities, and the failsafe, and frequency selectability are icing on the cake. they are also cheaper than the futabas, and about 30% of their size.

i originally bought the GWS because it was cheap and very very small, the fullsize futaba receiver wouldn't fit in my 2.5" WTC. the GWS is a complete pos and it will be replaced next. the SL-8 is only slightly larger, and much much better.

Comment

• Slats
        Vice Admiral
        • Aug 2008

Thanks guys
        J
        John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
        Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Kazzer
          • Aug 2008

Is anyone using the WFLY receiver in their submarine?

Any problems? Or not? I'm doing a survey!
          Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• bcliffe
            Ensign
            • Jan 2011

For me it's because they are made locally.

As an FYI I have heard via a little birdy that all Sombra Rx will be moving to 2.4 Gig ... stock up on the 72/75/50 MHz while you can.

If this is indeed the Rx of choice for submarines, perhaps let the vendor know that fact.

Cheers
            BC

Comment

• Aug 2008

It's no rumor, Ben. Mike has been working long and hard to identify a replacement receiver. I've got a face-to-face with Kevin McLeod (our resident electronics expert and designer-producer of the ADF2, Lipo-Guard and other products) tonight and we'll go over options -- all aimed at resolving the matter of finding a receiver comparable to the Sombra Labs units in the size and selectivity departments.
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• bcliffe
                Ensign
                • Jan 2011

Good news, thanks Dave! Must admit I stocked up on the Sombra receiver, but good to know that when I get back to this hobby replacement parts will be available. Someone really needs to invent free time.

Cheers
                BC

Comment

• Kazzer
                  • Aug 2008

We bought all Sombra's inventory, not many, so you'll have to really BEG if you want one.:wink:

Comment

• greenman407
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

Wow! Just when we found something good.
                    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• trout
                      Admiral
                      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Kazzer
                      We bought all Sombra's inventory, not many, so you'll have to really BEG if you want one.:wink:
                      Oh pleeeeeeze, oh please, oh please.....may I get a SL-8?
                      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Kazzer
                        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
                        Oh pleeeeeeze, oh please, oh please.....may I get a SL-8?
                        OH! Trying to double-dip in the honey pot eh?

He bought one yesterday folks! Watch this one!!!!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Make him dance for it, Mike!
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                            Admiral
                            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Kazzer
                            OH! Trying to double-dip in the honey pot eh?

He bought one yesterday folks! Watch this one!!!!
                            Oh, I got the steps out of order did I? I thought money first then plead! LOL. I got to say Mike, here in the states, our hobby would be high and dry if you did not have the foresight you do. Thank you for taking care of us, I hope more will take care of you by buying.

Oh and David, people would pay me NOT to dance, it is that bad.
                            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

OK, I withdraw that demand, Tom. For the sake of humanity.
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...