X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SteveJ
    Lieutenant
    • Aug 2008

Seaview lighting

Anyone have ideas for lighting the seaview kit?
  • toppack
    Rear Admiral
    • Nov 2008

I would use LEDs for lights. They are low voltage, low current, and come in many sizes. All the way from Microscopic to 'Blind your Neighbors' bright. :)
    A Hansen MERS E-switch to turn them off/on, connected to receiver. The E-switch would need to be in the WTC with receiver, and the wire connections to LEDs could be sealed with RTV sealer.
    A voltage regulator circuit would be best for controling the voltage level to LEDs. Resistors type voltage-divider could be used to drop voltage, but Not as efficient as V-reg. Or even a separate battery, if you have room, but it would change weight-balance.
    Last edited by toppack; 12-03-2008, 05:31 PM.
    Rick L.
    --------------------------------------------
    * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
    Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *

Comment

• toppack
      Rear Admiral
      • Nov 2008

I forgot to mention that LEDs need current-limiting resistors in series with one wire to them. The resistance value is determined by what is required by the type LED you are using and the voltage applied. The wattage rating of resistors is not very critical, the smaller the better, since current is usually only about 10.milliamps per LED.
      (the amount of current thru the LED is controled by the resistor)
      Some LEDs come from factory with the resistor already with them, but some don't, so be sure they are there, Or 'You Gonna Make Smoke'. ;)
      Last edited by toppack; 12-02-2008, 09:27 PM.
      Rick L.

Comment

• Kazzer
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by SteveJ
        Anyone have ideas for lighting the seaview kit?
        Try these:-

Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• junglelord
          Banned
          • Jan 2009

I think I will install a set of those on the front end of the Seaview.
          RC Groups - the most active Radio Control model community: electric and fuel rc airplanes,rc helis,rc boats and rc cars. Features discussion forums, blogs, videos and classifieds.

I have been dreaming of night runs...
          I'll drink to THAT!
          Last edited by junglelord; 01-25-2009, 05:55 PM.

Comment

• junglelord
            Banned
            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by kazzer
            I wonder would this double light unit fit in the single light search lights under the hull? I imagine that you would just platic-dip the circuit board?

Comment

• junglelord
              Banned
              • Jan 2009

check this nice build design using a circuit board itself for the overhead

Comment

• toppack
                Rear Admiral
                • Nov 2008

Yes, Great diorama!
                I really like the punched-tape-drive computer consoles. :D
                Rick L.

Comment

• junglelord
                  Banned
                  • Jan 2009

Best over-head lighting I have seen to date.
                  I am going to make one just for display and have been scoring the web for information and I think I have found some incredible ideas. One guy had two working video displays...others had fiber optics for the computer panels.

Really nice stuff out there. I am going to get high marks in this as I have a diploma in electronic engineering technology
                  :p
                  Last edited by junglelord; 02-01-2009, 12:47 PM.

Comment

• junglelord
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2009

I tried some lighting today....very nice. I used two Red LEDS and one Blue

Comment

• junglelord
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2009

I sent out some inquires to several members of ebay that build and sell LED units to your specs.
                      Only one had the 3mm LEDs for the taillights...$30 for 10 LEDs, but he has the 3mm LEDs.

but you could just pick up two and switch them for two 5mm, or just sand down the 5mm.
                      Give this guy a try for 16 LEDs, your choice of colours and flashing for 22.99.
                      He will also make them to up to 48" wires. Tell him junglelord sent you and that it is for the Moebius Seaview...
                      he is a good guy and I will use his for my display model and also for my Control Room

I tried some of the dollar store fiber optics for the tail last night, for fun...worked fine.

Comment

Working...