X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anateus9
    Ensign
    • Nov 2010

General assembly questions - 1/72 GATO

I am currently building the Revelle Gato with the sub driver and snort system and have some assembly questions for those people that have the Gato kit completed:

1. What is the relative placement fore and aft of the WTC in the hull?
    2. On the initial radio control setup - what are the recommendations for controlling the front and rear dive planes - work in parallel or opposite angles?
    3. Also, I'm placing the APC on the rear dive planes - should they be on a seperate channel?
    4. Snort system setup - I found pictures showing a manifold attached to the WTC. Can anyone elaborate on how to make this part?
    5. Has anyone out there installed running lights on the Gato? I'm considering this idea using subminiature LED's. Any thoughts?

Any information on these questions would be greatly appreciated!
    Fair sailing
  • danielhill
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Nov 2010

I placed the Wtc in the hull as far forward as I could to where it touches each side of the hull.
    The front and rear dive planes are on different channels and operate seperate of each other. You will use the front planes to dive and surface and place the rear on your APC to control changes is pitch in forward motion. It will hold the boat level in the water.
    I placed the Snort tube in a bottem hole in the WTC and made a small second hole securing it with a small pull tie.
    Not I have not installed any lights. Seems that it would not be hard to do with a ON-OFF "MERS" switch. Caswell has them.

Dan Hill
    Palm Bay, Florida
    Last edited by danielhill; 02-22-2011, 10:25 PM.

Comment

• anateus9
      Ensign
      • Nov 2010

Thanks Dan, I appreciate your info. I was wondering...do you sail in fresh water, pool, or lake? I am planning on sailing mine in the Pamlico Bay, NC and in the Potomac where the water there is a little brackish (but clear). I've read radio signals don't penetrate salt water well...

Mark Clardy
      Alexandria, VA

Comment

• danielhill
        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
        • Nov 2010

Mark,
        I have sailed my gato in freshwater and my saltwater pool. In freshwater I can go 5+ feet deep and /or I'm sure more, and retain good control. However, In my saltwater pool I can only go about 2 feet deep before I tend to lose signal. The other item to be considered is that when going for netural bouyancy there is a difference between saltwater and freshwater. The Sub will be more boyant in saltwater. The only difference is that if you balance the sub in saltwater I found that it tends to set lower in freshwater and visa versa. It makes little difference,(only in the foreward speed to dive, more in saltwater) but it does apply. My pool is 17 feet wide and 35 feet long. I cannot make a complete turn in the width of my pool. Understanding that rudder size determines the turn Radius available. "Currents" in water can spoil your day. I found that river currents can be hard to overcome, even with the power of the motors the gato has. also, currents underwater may be much stronger than currents at the surface and therefore I no longer sail in and rivers or body of waters that have currents. Your power can overcome the currents but if you lose signal you can drive for miles to attempt to recover your sub and in a large river, you can kiss it goodby. Find a place that has clear com water. 3 to 5 feet deep. make up some weighted floating bouys at different levels in the water and have fun transversing them. Oh, one last thing, If you sail in salty water you should externally freshwater wash your sub and WTC after or you will form rust on your magnets and desimilar metal items

Dan
        Last edited by danielhill; 02-24-2011, 02:05 PM. Reason: addition info

Comment

Working...