• Show
Clear All

• type7
    replied
    8 channels is enough for me.

Leave a comment:

• Subculture
    replied
    Do the engineers you're working with have the capacity to produce a tuner for radios, specifically a synthesized tuner? Lots of great radios on the market with module bays, which could be used with any frequency if a module and receiver set is available. The Frsky Taranis sets are absolutely superb, and offer up to 16 channels as standard. Some can be expanded to 32 channels with a second tuner, although I'm not sure why anyone would want so many functions.

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    Bob,
    My initial thought is, it is overkill. While I have seen some subs that incorporated a ton of channels (Mike Dory's Type XXI as an example) 6 to 7 channels is plenty for me.
    On the F14 I use, I have made my own 3 way switch, that is the one I use more often or I use an extra slider.
    Peace,
    Tom

Leave a comment:

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Originally posted by SubHuman
    Good morning, bubbleheads!

As all of you know, the VEX radios are basically the only 75mhz game left in town, and there is limited availability of them. They're superb radios, but the functionality is limited in that they have only 6 channels and the two analog channels are non-latching 3-way switches, which limits their application for things like torpedo doors, periscopes, etc.

In trying to come up with a solution, I've landed on two (non-exclusive) alternatives.

The first is already underway in conjunction with our very own Kevin McLeod of KMC Designs in Canada. He and I have come up with a Switch Emulator that will allow you to use those two rear channels of the VEX radio as either 2-way or 3-way latching switches. Look for those to hit the market in August!

The second solution is also well underway, and is more involved. I've hooked up with a gentleman by the name of Scott Savage and we've developed our own Nautilus Drydocks receivers, specifically designed for use with the VEX radios. The advantage of this is that we can incorporate a small computer onboard that allows a ton of flexibility in the operation of the various channels.

Our question to you is, would you have use for a radio with 15 or 20 channels of discreet operation? What this looks like would be your main receiver board and a series of expansion boards. Each servo or switch would be plugged into a dedicated output on either the main receiver or one of the expansion boards. To access the expansion boards, you'd use one of the four rear buttons on the transmitter to access it, holding down that button to select the appropriate expansion board, then using the sticks on the front to control the function.

We could do either five functions on the main board (four sticks plus CH5 on the back), using CH6 to select up to two expansion boards, netting you 15 channels of control, OR we could do four functions via the sticks with the four buttons on CH5 and CH6 accessing up to 4 expansion boards for a total of 20 channels.

So, a few questions:

1.) Is 15 to 20 channels something that you can see a need for, or is this overkill?
    2.) What setup would be best for the expansion channels? IE: full proportional control, two-way, or three-way switches?

Feedback greatly appreciated, all! Thanks for your time!

Bob and Scott
    If you go the latched/momentary route, will we be able to set end-points on the VEX transmitter?

What's the physical size of this new receiver?

I've never seen a need to exceed seven channels of proportional control -- and in my time I've done some rather bizarre **** with an r/c submarine or two. Others mileage may vary.

David

Leave a comment:

• RCSubGuy
    started a topic 20 channel radio setup - any interest?

20 channel radio setup - any interest?

Good morning, bubbleheads!

As all of you know, the VEX radios are basically the only 75mhz game left in town, and there is limited availability of them. They're superb radios, but the functionality is limited in that they have only 6 channels and the two analog channels are non-latching 3-way switches, which limits their application for things like torpedo doors, periscopes, etc.

In trying to come up with a solution, I've landed on two (non-exclusive) alternatives.

The first is already underway in conjunction with our very own Kevin McLeod of KMC Designs in Canada. He and I have come up with a Switch Emulator that will allow you to use those two rear channels of the VEX radio as either 2-way or 3-way latching switches. Look for those to hit the market in August!

The second solution is also well underway, and is more involved. I've hooked up with a gentleman by the name of Scott Savage and we've developed our own Nautilus Drydocks receivers, specifically designed for use with the VEX radios. The advantage of this is that we can incorporate a small computer onboard that allows a ton of flexibility in the operation of the various channels.

Our question to you is, would you have use for a radio with 15 or 20 channels of discreet operation? What this looks like would be your main receiver board and a series of expansion boards. Each servo or switch would be plugged into a dedicated output on either the main receiver or one of the expansion boards. To access the expansion boards, you'd use one of the four rear buttons on the transmitter to access it, holding down that button to select the appropriate expansion board, then using the sticks on the front to control the function.

We could do either five functions on the main board (four sticks plus CH5 on the back), using CH6 to select up to two expansion boards, netting you 15 channels of control, OR we could do four functions via the sticks with the four buttons on CH5 and CH6 accessing up to 4 expansion boards for a total of 20 channels.

So, a few questions:

1.) Is 15 to 20 channels something that you can see a need for, or is this overkill?
    2.) What setup would be best for the expansion channels? IE: full proportional control, two-way, or three-way switches?

Feedback greatly appreciated, all! Thanks for your time!

Bob and Scott
Working...