• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pilot2fly
    Ensign
    • Dec 2016

Easy Sub-driver

Hi guys,

Very new to R/C subs. I come from R/C planes so I have lots of 2.4 ghz parts laying around. I found the Easy Sub-driver 2.5" for $69 dollars in the bargain bin here at Nautilus Drydocks. Bob sent me over some photos of what it looks like. I essentially want to be able to use my Spektrum DX5e and AR610 2.4 ghz receiver on my sub, so I don't plan to go deeper than periscope depth (never wanted to go deeper than that anyway).

I know what the Easy Sub-driver looks like, but has anyone used it? What do you think of it? I am looking at the Type VII and Type XXIII, along with some American nuclear submarines. Bob told me the Easy Sub-driver comes with seals, servos, motors, and speed controller. All I need is to plug in my AR610 receiver and connect the motor to the shaft and connect the rudders and dive planes. The product mentions there is no need for ballast or air bladder, so I'm not sure exactly how the sub will surface from periscope depth.

Anyone have any experience with this sub-driver? Let me know your thoughts.

http://www.rc-submarine.com/product-...4-b55887627645
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Yeah, I know a bit about the Easy SubDriver's. The trick is, this is a system for dynamically diving submarines. You trim the boat so that only the majority of the sail floats above the water. You dive the thing by advancing forward and using the stern planes to drive the boat down.

The SD is pure genius, the guy who came up with it should be awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor.

Here's a BLUEBACK with the static type SD above, and dynamic type SD below. The dynamic type only needs you to add two servos, ESC, receiver, angle-keeper, switch, and battery to get it operational. Like all SD's, 2.5 and larger, the SD is available as a static or dynamic type system.

The unit comes with a 2.4gHz antenna extension kit with instructions. When you bind the receiver and transmitter also set your fail-safes like this: throttle -- zero, stern plane -- full rise. And that's it. The boat is slightly buoyant so will rise when the signal is lost and whatever forward momentum it has when signal was lost will work on the stern planes to pitch the bow up. No sweat. You'll be surprised that the radio link holds up with the antenna just below the surface -- but don't count on that.

You'll have to do some fancy soldering to make up the coaxial cable to your receiver antenna and ground pads

I outfitted a Bronco 1/32 Type-23 model with one of these things as well. Worked good enough.

David

Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 12-18-2016, 09:52 PM.
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• pilot2fly
      Ensign
      • Dec 2016

Thanks David. That answers a lot of my questions. So with a dynamic diving system and the 2.5" Easy Sub-driver, since the sub will surface if forward movement stops, I assume that the sub runs dry and doesn't let water in?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by pilot2fly
        Thanks David. That answers a lot of my questions. So with a dynamic diving system and the 2.5" Easy Sub-driver, since the sub will surface if forward movement stops, I assume that the sub runs dry and doesn't let water in?
        No. As with the static diving type, the dynamic diving types hull is free-flooding. The only dry element is the containment formed by the SD's cylinder.

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• pilot2fly
          Ensign
          • Dec 2016

Thanks David. I guess my last question for tonight is how do you get the sub to surface and stay on the surface after it has dived? There are no pumps or ballast tanks required with this WTC, so I'm just wondering how that works.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by pilot2fly
            Thanks David. I guess my last question for tonight is how do you get the sub to surface and stay on the surface after it has dived? There are no pumps or ballast tanks required with this WTC, so I'm just wondering how that works.
            As the dynamic type boat does not take on weight to counter the displacement of the above waterline portions of the hull-sail, it has to be trimmed buoyant, but of a reserve buoyancy (the above waterline portions of structure) of very low value -- just a few ounces. That means the dead-in-the-water trim has just the upper portion of sail sticking out of the water. With no way on, the submerged model will, on its own, float to the surface. It actually takes force -- the dynamic lift of the hull to push it underwater while in motion -- to submerge the thing. And to do so takes forward motion, hence the term, 'dynamic diver'.

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
              Yeah, I know a bit about the Easy SubDriver's.

The SD is pure genius, the guy who came up with it should be awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor.

David
              Where's my medal? :-)
              Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

Working...