X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • camyaj
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Sep 2016

Gato DVD

Why can't these DVD's be made available as Downloads to avoid the extreme postal charges to the UK.
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

I am sure they could be, but a few thoughts come to mind. One, it sure would make it easy to share and duplicate. That would mean the effort that was made would be lost to piracy and the income they deserve would be lost. Two, bandwidth. Having people upload it would make bandwidth usage spike. Some hosting sites would bill extra for that. I believe there are programs that youtube can do where you can make the videos private and use a subscription to see them. That would gain access to view them (Piracy would still be a problem) and still generate an income. Three, not enough interest to make it happen. It would take time to do this and Mike and David are busy enough as it is.

Those would be my quick thoughts. If I was to find a lamp with a genie in it, I would wish that all the Gato videos would be put in public domain free for all to learn from. Then it could be hosted on Youtube or kept on this site to drive customers to sub-driver.com. I own two sets of the videos and will say they were so important in my build of the Gato. Here is my build:
    We're off! Today we start our latest model builders competition, but the rules are changed around this year. There will be THREE main prizes and all the different model types etc will be in the one competition, unlike last year. Post your entries here, with the name of the project and the scale in the subject.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• camyaj
      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
      • Sep 2016

True re the copying but that could as easily done with the discs anyway as for the other reasons probably more the case .What is not is the postage I have bought several dvd's from the states and postage nowhere near the Gato's cost. Thanks for your link I am mainly only interested in the internals not so much the gato

Comment

• Kazzer
        • Aug 2008

Much of the cost of postage is the CD case. We could take them out and pack the 5 disks in a bubblewrap envelope. I'll ask what that would cost to the UK

Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• camyaj
          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
          • Sep 2016

Thank you sir would appreciate that

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by camyaj
            Thanks for your link I am mainly only interested in the internals not so much the gato
            (Sound of record scratching) What? Not interested in the Gato, but the internals? Then the DVD is not for you (Oh, Mike is probably going to kick my backside for saying that). The build I linked to does have info on the internals, so what questions do you have?
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• camyaj
              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
              • Sep 2016

Ha! I think any sub is beyond me (but I can dream) sawing the Gato in half Yipes. My reason for wanting the DVD's I may hopefully get enough info on them to perhaps relate to an other sub.I know there is a wealth of info by you lads on the forum but it does not always leap out at one.As to questions virtually an idiots guide to how everything works and fits so that if anything suitable comes up for sale i would at least know how to use it /check it etc.;

Comment

• Kazzer
                Kazzer commented
                Editing a comment
                Forget the Gato, it's a complex build in my opinion. Get the Revell/Moebius Skipjack. It's the only injection molded boat designed for r/c. No hull cutting. Look for an EASY Sub-driver and you're in business.
            • trout
              Admiral
              • Jul 2011

Camyaj,
              while Kazzer (Mike) is correct the Gato is complex, it can be built - it was my first sub. Only you will know if you have the power to over come the fears in building a working sub. The Skipjack is an excellent first sub. When people ask me that question of what should I build as my first sub, the Moebius/Revell Skipjack is number one and the Bronco Type 23 I is my second choice. What is your favorite sub?

Comment

• camyaj
                Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                • Sep 2016

Trout I don't really have a favourite I do like most of the U-boots and the gato not really keen on the modern ones other than they are much more practical with less bits to knock off. I'm forever so doing on my surface boats . The skipjack looks a posssibility but again I need to find a good build and conversion write up which have not found as yet .Kazzer mentioned an easy driver but that is only for dynamics is it not and I want static .

Comment

Working...