Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

Lindberg IJN -153

I took a look at the Japanese I-53 from Lindberg today, just to see what was involved and to get a better handle on this boat. The Wiz gave it a thumbs down some time ago, and was in the throes of rebuilding the front end, but got pulled (by me) into the torpedo business.

My first impression of this boat was very favorable, its huge, solid and looked like a very feasible r/c model. It dwarfs the Revell Gato.

I took the 4 hull sections out of the box, and taped them together, just to get an idea of its size.

And then-

I noticed the hull plate lines - most odd perhaps. They simply don't match each other and therefore don't join together on the underside.

Take a close look here.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0623.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	100092

Is this a mistake on Lindberg's part, or were they like this on the real thing?

And if they are incorrect, what's the fix?
    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

And then ---- I mentioned this to His Eminence! Oh! dear! Did I step on a hornets nest! Seems the plate lines are the least of the boats troubles. The designers really messed up, apparently they modeled after two boats of a similar name and lost their jobs over it. Of course, there is a thread on this topic here somewhere. So, I shoved it back in the box.

I think we have two of these models left - now going cheap! Email me.

If you aren't fussy about detail, this is a great model, even has a WWII Jap flag which should convince the Great Unwashed that its a Jap boat.
    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• oztruck
      Commander
      • May 2010

Looks like they only have one left now because I got mine the other week. It is HUGE. It looks like a Japanese sub or should I say 3 or 4 of them but it is not a model of any of them. To me it looks like they got the dimensions and plans of several boats and combined the bits they liked into one boat.

Could it have been a secret boat that only LB know anything about?

Anyway it has the size that will make it impressive if not correct on/under the pond.

Stay tuned will start the build in the new year.

Comment

• herrmill
        Commander
        • Dec 2008

Build It BIG!

Guess you could always cut the hull in half, splice in 7" of sewer pipe, add a few pounds of modeling clay & $200 worth of Archer Transfers rivet sets & viola! it becomes an STo Type. That God-awful bow more closely resembles the I-400 than any C Type the Japs ever made. :wink:

Click image for larger version

Name:	I-400.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	60737

Comment

• oztruck
          Commander
          • May 2010

Do you think this is what they were trying to make. It is about the closest boat I can find that looks anything like the kit.

Comment

Working...