B-800 Kaluga: - Project 636 - Improved Kilo class (1/68)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Slats
    Vice Admiral
    • Aug 2008

John's build of an RPMTECH Improved Kilo in almost 1:72 scale...
    Last edited by Outrider; 06-03-2010, 12:05 PM.
    John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
    Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic
  • Slats
    Vice Admiral
    • Aug 2008

I have just ordered from Rick Palumbo his superbly detailed Kilo kit.

Yes I do have Joel's Permit to Finish - but I could not pass up on this boat. A project that I have drooled over for some time. I have been tempted so badly by this gorgeous little sub, that I have pulled out of ordering Rick's superb Foxtrot in favour of this one.

For those who have not yet visited Rick's page of amazing projects, it is well worth a look.

Ok a couple of minor tid bits to get the ball rolling whilst I await the subs arrival.

Rick's SSK Kilo has been labelled as 1/72 scale - but as Rick on his page concedes its more like 1/68 scale. A few months back I would have stupidly stuck with my one scale fleet mentality of 1/72, but given my liberating departure from Task Force 72, a whole new world of subjects and scales has revealled themselves to me. Its still nice having a constant scale fleet and most of my future builds stock piled away will be still in 1/72.
    This boat is a nice size and beam. It will be decked out with a D&E Subdriver and feature a business end that would have the nannys over at Task Force 72 running for their knitting needles.

Ok Rick's kilo is lablled also as a Project 877 boat - it aint.
    Its better than that, well it would be if you had to go to sea on it. The model is actually a Project 636 "improved kilo". A much more capable version of this pesky little sub.

Q) Ok so how do you visually tell the difference between a Project 636 and Project 877 Kilo?
    A) Look at the casing end aft.

877 Kilo:

636 Kilo:

And confirming this fact from the Federation of American Scientists website:

"The Project 636 design is a generally improved development of the Project 877EKM Kilo class that represents an interim design between the standard 'Kilo' and the new Lada project. The Project 636 is actively promoted for the world market by the Rosvoorouzhenie state-owned company. This submarine has improved range, firepower, acoustic characteristics and reliability. Visually distinguished by a step on the aft casing, the length of the hull is extended by two frame spacings (2 x 600 mm). The additional length permitted increasing the power of diesel-generators and mounting them on improved shock-absorbing support, and reducing twofold the main propulsion shaft speed. Owing to these improvements, the submarine speed and sea endurance were increased, while the noise level was radically decreased. The low noise level of the submarine has been achieved with the selection of quiet machinery, vibration and noise isolation and a special anti-acoustic rubber coating applied on the outer hull surface."

Another good comparison of this important difference between Kilo versions is the kit itself compared with a the smaller trumpeter 1/144 scale kit. Borrowing from IronHorse (user on this site), a picture of his kilo, note the tapering of the casing aft to meet the hull as per project 877.

Now compare that with Rick's hull's casing shown in the photo of the kit from Rick's website:

This is going to be a great project.

Will post more when she arrives.
    J
    Last edited by Slats; 06-05-2010, 10:54 AM. Reason: spellin as per usual
    John Slater

Sydney Australia

Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Slats
      Vice Admiral
      • Aug 2008

A nice cutaway of the 636 from Defense Industry daily. The stern casing step is really obvious in this picture.
      Last edited by Slats; 06-03-2010, 01:42 AM.
      John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• reddevil
        Commander
        • Jun 2009

Hi from Madrid. I've also ordered one of these KILOs from Rick (But are still waiting it to arrive; I ordered almost four months ago and haven't received it yet; I suppose he's very busy with 1/72 FOXTROT and a lot of orders for KILOs). Your information will be very usefull for me also in the building and detailing of the sub. I´ve ordered the whole pack, incluiding the wtc and devices for masts and fore dive planes.

Have a nice day.
        J.C. Jorquera.

Comment

• Albion
          Captain
          • Dec 2008

looking forward to this, your builds are always clear and instructive
          Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• Slats
            Vice Admiral
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Albion
            looking forward to this, your builds are always clear and instructive
            Well thanks - I am still learning and aim to be always. If others learn something from my posts as well, that's great.

Sites like this one are few and far between.

J
            John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Slats
              Vice Admiral
              • Aug 2008

Just letting you guys know that I'll be flicking this boat off to my good mate Justin Simmonds to enjoy. Recently I have had to make some hard decisions about the size and extent of the fleet I have.
              So if this build thread is populated and documented Justin will be doing it.

Best
              John
              John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Rpmtech1
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Dec 2009

When I wrote that I was still learning about their class designations at the beginning of the project. Simple logic would say the higher number would be the more advanced version. Wrong.

Anyway you can let your friend know if he wants any of the new parts i just made for his build of the Kilo he can have them for free, just pay the postage.

Comment

• Slats
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Aug 2008

Hey thanks Rick, I'll pass that along.
                  Very kind of you.

Best
                  J
                  John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

Working...