X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deepwater
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Dec 2009

New Seaview concept II build

I'm new to this forum so please bear with me if I make some mistakes. I wanted to start a new forum on the Sub-Driver for awhile now, and finally took the time to do it. I'll post more information later on this new design. I first want to see if I'm doing this right? This is a few shots of the detail on the concept II build before I start molding it. I'll check in later tonight when I have more time. This is just a quick peek of a new idea.
    Thanks! Dennis,
    Deboer Hulls

Click image for larger version

Name:	rear deck s-d.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	99776Click image for larger version

Name:	rear top deck  sub driver.jpg
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	99775Click image for larger version

Name:	fron top deck sub driver.jpg
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	99774
  • deepwater
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Dec 2009

Hi Guys!
    Well I guess the first post worked. Usually I screw something up(Ha)! As you know I'm a big fan of the Seaview, as are many others. I've always liked submarines in general.
    I started this new design around a year ago, then it sat on the shelf until a few months back. A gentleman contacted me about up-grading a Moebius Seaview. I told him about this project that was sitting on the shelf. From there on its history.

I started with a 21 Seawolf design, but went beyond that. The sub is a oval shape, instead of the regular round shape found in today's subs. I then designed it with a taper from front to back, same on the sides. I thought this would give it a more streamlined look. I have changed 99% of the design. I have posted pictures on other forums. I don't have any new pictures right know and did not want to double up on the same pictures, but should have some later on.

I started on the molding of this sub today. I just wanted to let the fans know that there will be only one Seaview (the original) and this is just a fun project, and though some of you fans would want to see the progress (good or bad)
    Its been about 46 years since the Seaview came out, so lets see what 2010 can do.

I want to thank, Kerry Addington and David Merriman for the support in starting this thread. It will be a while before I have new pictures, so I'll try to make them special.

Until later

Dennis

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Welcome aboard, Dennis. For those looking over our shoulder:

Dennis DeBoer is one of the 'old guard' in this game. He's produced fine quality fiberglass kits in large scale of the USS NAUTILUS, USS SKIPJACK, and the French between-the-wars, SURCOUF. He's also produced the definitive Star Trek (movie version) ENTERPRISE as a kit under his Northstar label.

But, what Dennis is known for are the two different scale SEAVIEW kits he's produced. The smaller is 57" in length, and the other is a monstrous 80" in length!

You want a fine SEAVIEW kit which is bigger than the Moebius offering, Dennis is your go-too guy!

And his current 'futuristic' SEAVIEW? ... I can't wait to see how that beauty comes out. Excellent work, from one of the game's best.

David,
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• deepwater
        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
        • Dec 2009

Started to mold the top deck yesterday.Picture shows deck waxed and ready for the P.V.A. spray.The sub will have a separation points at the full length of the fins plus the top deck will be removeable.Click image for larger version

Name:	molding top deck.jpg
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	58203

Comment

• Aug 2008

Correct me if I'm wrong here, as I see it you will have three major hull tools: lower hull from the bilge-keel edges down, upper hull from bilge-keel edges up to where the superstructure meets the hull, and superstructure. Then assorted hard and rubber tools for the sail, control surfaces and other appendages?

I'm starting to get worked up over this SEAVIEW of yours, Dennis.

More pictures, please!

David,
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• deepwater
            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
            • Dec 2009

That's right on how the sub will be molded David. I let the mold harden for a couple of days before I pull it off the plug. I should have a new concept II deck in my hands by Friday if everything goes good. I wil send a few more pictures then.
            Until later

Dennis

Comment

• Aug 2008

(in the voice of Mr. Burns)

Excellent!

David,
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• deepwater
                Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                • Dec 2009

A quick note,Got the top deck mold pulled this morning looks good.Going to do layup this morning also.Untell later.Click image for larger version

Name:	topdeck mold sd 3.jpg
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	58205Click image for larger version

Name:	top deck mold s-d 2.jpg
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	58204

Comment

• deepwater
                  Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                  • Dec 2009

Hi guys,I thought you might enjoy a few shot of the concept II reworked front fins,and also what the completed boat looks like.Hope you enjoy the pictures.Dennis.Click image for larger version

Name:	sd 13.jpg
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	58207Click image for larger version

Name:	sd 14.jpg
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	58206

Comment

• Aug 2008

Forgive me if you've already mentioned this, but what is the length of this beast? Will the Caswell-Merriman Moebius SEAVIEW SubDriver fit this beast?

David,
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• deepwater
                      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                      • Dec 2009

Hi David,The model is 46 inches lomg,and the main body 5 1/8 wide. I would think that one of your sub drivers would work in this model. I would like to see the water under the windrows when surfaced.Maybe that would not work I don,t know? Just a wild idea,but it would look cool.Dennis.

Comment

• Aug 2008

The existing Moebius SEAVIEW SubDriver, the one we sell today, is sized to fit a 40" long model, and its ballast tank sized to lift all that plastic into the air, giving a high freeboard (though much lower than we see in the film-TV shots of the surface running SEAVIEW, which had an unreasonably low waterline) to the Moebius model when in surface trim.

As your version of the SEAVIEW has a single propulsor, it would be nothing for me to replace the dual-motor bulkhead with a single, bigger motor. And I would lengthen the cylinder to increase the ballast tank capacity to achieve the 'just under the window upper edge' surface waterline you suggest.

When you produce the kits, endeavor to go easy on the glass laminates on the hull and sail parts above the designed waterline; keep the upper works light of weight and we won't need so much ballast tank volume.

I can't wait to get my teeth into one of these SEAVIEWs. I'll reciprocate with a couple of specialized SDs for you, Dennis.

It's looking good!

Below are some shots of the production SD we came up with for the Moebius SEAVIEW. Notice that during the SD-SEAVIEW evaluation I tested three different sized SDs -- those units are still up and running and will be used to find the best suited for your 'modernized' SEAVIEW, Dennis.

David,

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0116.jpg
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	58208Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0120.jpg
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	58209Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0017.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	58210Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0191.jpg
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	58211Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0018.jpg
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	58212Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0037.jpg
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	58213
                        Last edited by Outrider; 02-25-2010, 10:38 PM. Reason: how the hell did that stupid smiley-face get into the text, damit!
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• deepwater
                          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                          • Dec 2009

That moebius sub driver,looks like the ticket for this design! Like you said just remove the twin screws drives and install a single drive. Look forward to this rc build.Talk to you later,Dennis

Comment

• ADDINGTON
                            Lieutenant
                            • Sep 2008

David,
                            Would you forsee using one of your Moebius pumpjet units in this beast or perhaps the one you designed for the 57" ?
                            Dennis,
                            Thanks for sharing this with all of us, and wouldn't it be great to see this creation and creator at your first Carmel SubRegatta ?
                            -Kerry

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by ADDINGTON
                              David,
                              Would you forsee using one of your Moebius pumpjet units in this beast or perhaps the one you designed for the 57" ?
                              Dennis,
                              Thanks for sharing this with all of us, and wouldn't it be great to see this creation and creator at your first Carmel SubRegatta ?
                              -Kerry
                              I was thinking of going with the larger pump-jet, yes.

Dennis: What's the diameter of the nozzle?

David,
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...