• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wolfgang
    Ensign
    • Sep 2009

My Revell TypVII project the 2nd

Hallo everybody!
    I´m new here but not new in modeling. I´m engaged in model building more than 20 years. My favorite is building Cargo Vessels by Dock plan in 1/100 scale. I also started to fly RC-planes this year but this would be my second hobby part. As Revell starts with the 1/72 subs was my wish to have this as a static diving boat in a perfect scale for my pool to have fun. My first conversion kit from Brueggen (http://www.modelluboot.de/) doesn’t work because the vertical cut in the hull became not water consistent and was expensive too.
    Now I´ve found David Merriman´s site for me the Hero in model diving systems. I repurchased 2 Revell typ VII kits the Wolf pack and the Atlantic version. Upcoming I will order the SD from Caswell now I´ve some questions to you.
    1. Is in the “Sub Driver 2 Revell VII Assembled “the Snort-System inbuilt? If not how can I assemble it is there any description or plans online?
    2. Is there any problem if the snort system is running and I want to dive deeper?
    Best regards
    Wolfgang
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

You'll find various discussions about how to install the 'snort' (low pressure blower) ballast sub-system here. The unit is sold separate and is installed as an 'extra' to your SD. However, the SD does arrive with the plumbing fixtures to make up to the LPB, so you have that going for you. I recommend you read the sections pertaining to the LPB/snort sub-system before making your purchase.

If the LPB is running with the induction hose submerged, then it will pump water, not air, and no change in ballast tank contents will occur. Only with the induction hose inlet above the water will the LPB pump air into the ballast tank, emptying it of water.

Check this out:

David,
    Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 09-21-2009, 10:11 AM.
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• fwjeff
      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
      • Jul 2009

Hi Wolfgang,
      You'll really be happy with this setup. I'm just finishing up my first try at a sub, also a type VII. Lots of R/C plane experience too but new to subs. One thing that is really different, you need to balance the CG but also the Center of Boyancy, surfaced and submerged. The first time you drive it across the pool, submerge & stop a couple of feet under water it's worth the work! There are a bunch of pictures on the thread at the bottom of the page.

Comment

• Wolfgang
        Ensign
        • Sep 2009

Hi thank´s for repost!

Now I had check it out at the pictures in the pdf.file.
        I´ve to insert the pumpmotor inside the watertight unit and connect the tubes as shown. Is it right?

David one question again can I use this Deck here because looks very scale:

or you think it is better I use the plastic one.

a nice day at all
        Wolfgang

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Wolfgang
          Hi thank´s for repost!

Now I had check it out at the pictures in the pdf.file.
          I´ve to insert the pumpmotor inside the watertight unit and connect the tubes as shown. Is it right?

David one question again can I use this Deck here because looks very scale:

or you think it is better I use the plastic one.

a nice day at all
          Wolfgang
          Yeah, you can use the brass, but it would be flimsy without a sound understructure. Go with the plastic deck.

David,
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• fwjeff
            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
            • Jul 2009

On the decks, I used the Nautilus wood deck on mine. It looks great but I agree, stick with the plastic one. The wood has with expansion / warping issues to deal with and the additional bouancy above the wterline makes the balancing a bit more work.

Comment

Working...