• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pjdog
    Commander
    • Apr 2009

8 channel WFLY question

Mike:

When I started doing submarines with Caswell equipment I ordered the WFLY 6 channel package thinking that would service all my needs. Found out right away that the receiver was to big for the type VII S/D so I order 8 channel Sombra labs receiver thinking later I may wish to have additional channels. Now I find I need one of those two extra channels available on the receiver for the Revell Gato but have a 6 channel transmitter. Does Caswell sell the WFLY * channel transmitter only or do I need to buy both as shown in the online catalog?

If I have to buy the pair it's OK I'm sure I've not built my last sub.

Jack
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

I ordered one 8 ch Wfly radio to have a look at it, but I'm no radio expert. I was hoping to send one to Merriman or Kevin McLeod to evaluate it before I jumped in and ordered more. Once one of them has done that, I could sell you that one. It is a bit more pricey than the 6 ch radio.
    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• pjdog
      Commander
      • Apr 2009

Mike:

I would be interested in the 8 channel transmitter. I do have three 8 channel Sombra labs receivers so it would be a good fit.

Jack

Comment

• dave_mcwhite@cox.net
        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
        • Sep 2009

I too want an 8 Channel RC 75MHz Transmitter

I purchased the current Caswell WFLY 6 channel transmitter and the SL-8 (8 channel) reciever. But the Seaview model kit uses all of the 6 chanels (with the SNORT option, which I chose to install). I am adding UW LED lights and would like to use one of the 2 remaining chanels on the SL-8 to power the MERS on/off power controller, to my LED lights. I too would jump at a chance to upgrade to a full 8 Chanel transmitter (compatible with the SL-8).

Comment

• Rpmtech1
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Dec 2009

I smoked my Wfly8 2 days after i got it by charging it through its charge port. Apparently if you charge higher that it's "stock charger" output you can do this... So charge the TX pack out of the TX or use the stock sucky charge rate.

That just sucks, back to the drawing board Wfly. The radio looked and felt really nice though. Not to mention the menu came pre programmed in chinese, and took me like 2 hours to get it in english.

Im also think the receivers are ****, I had way more glitching compared to Futaba stuff it seemed in the few days i had it. I switched to a Castle Berg receiver and it was fine with that.
          Last edited by Rpmtech1; 12-14-2009, 08:44 PM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Rpmtech1
            I smoked my Wfly8 2 days after i got it by charging it through its charge port. Apparently if you charge higher that it's "stock charger" output you can do this... So charge the TX pack out of the TX or use the stock sucky charge rate.

That just sucks, back to the drawing board WFly. The radio looked and felt really nice though. Not to mention the menu came pre programmed in chinese, and took me like 2 hours to get it in english.

Im also think the receivers are ****, I had way more glitching compared to Futaba stuff it seemed in the few days i had it. I switched to a Castle Berg receiver and it was fine with that.
            Well ... duh! If you charge the damned think like it's a race-car between heats, yeah, you're going to fry those cheesy little wires. What? You don't sleep; you can't put the thing on an overnight trickle, or something?!

Knuckle-dragger!

I'm with you on the WFly receivers -- not even good at being ballast! But they do work if you keep the number of channels used down to three and stow the Rx far away from the motor; the receiver's selectivity and noise-rejection isn't worth ****, I agree there.

But, the transmitter is indeed worth the price of admission.
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Rpmtech1
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Dec 2009

LoL. I know what you mean, but I actually only charged the batteries at like 1c, I was not in that much of a hurry! No i dident 5 amp em'

Yeah I think the TX was pretty cool.

Comment

• Rpmtech1
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Dec 2009

Well maybe 1.5c...:wink: HA!
                Last edited by Rpmtech1; 12-14-2009, 09:46 PM.

Comment

• Albion
                  Captain
                  • Dec 2008

Not to mention the menu came pre programmed in chinese, and took me like 2 hours to get it in english.
                  Nice to see its not just here. My wife got a new smart phone a couple of years ago. After 2 months (should have been the warning as it was to the day) the phone locked up. 2 hours spent in service centre for them to tell us, you didnt agree to pay the extra for the chinese script which has been free for two months. But we didnt ask for chinese script on this phone neither of us can read it!! Guys reply, do you want to subscribe or shall i just turn off this feature!
                  Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                    • Aug 2008

Well maybe 1.5c...:wink: HA!
                    LOL. The truth comes out.

David,
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Rpmtech1
                      Lieutenant Commander
                      • Dec 2009

Awww come on man, Been "fast" charging futabas and jr's for ever'

But I do have a tendency to blow up electronics. If you want to test it's durability send it to Rick. Jesus I always hook the **** up right, and it'll just blow up!

So dont fast charge the WFLY through port, and throw receiver in trash. And you'll be cool.

Comment

• KevinMc
                        Commander
                        • Feb 2009

With respect to fast charging your Tx pack I have to ask why? Your batteries will last much longer if you don't fast charge, just plug them into a wall wart and leave it over night. If you do really need to fast charge though it's always a good idea to take the battery pack out of the Tx first. Battery packs on fast charge will inevitably get warm, and will get that much warmer if left in a confined space like the battery slot in a transmitter which does nether the Tx nor the battery any good... (Not to mention the fact that the reverse polarity protection diode in the Tx can mess up the peak-detector in your charger and will prevent you from cycling.) YMMV
                        Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
                        KMc Designs

Comment

• Rpmtech1
                          Lieutenant Commander
                          • Dec 2009

Why did I fast charge? Cause i was right in the middle of setting up a new sub with the new TX and it went dead. And I was not stopping the setup to wait for it to charge overnite.

And I am a Knuckle-dragger, just like Dave said lol

Comment

Working...