X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Outrider
    Commander
    • Aug 2008

1:72 Special Navy Type IIA

This is a project I'm preparing to do as I get some more experience. A Small Czech manufacturer, MPM, has three 1:72 kits of interest, two of which are already available from Caswell (the Type XXIII and the Type VIID conversion kit). The third kit is the Type IIA, which is close in size to a 1:144 Kilo.

The Special Navy Type IIA kit is a bit problematic as it's a mix between the Finnish Vesikko http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_submarine_Vesikko and the Type IIA (none of which was preserved, though some survived the war only to be scuttled afterward in the Black Sea off Turkey) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Type_II_submarine. Since the Vesikko served as a sort of prototype for the Type II and it's actually available to look at, it's somewhat understandable that the Special Navy kit ended up with a lot of the Vesikko in its DNA.

I've found some good reviews of the Special Navy Type IIA kit that talk about accuracy issues and how to fix some of them. The review at the link shows it being built into a fine static model:

One other useful thing I've found is both a reference and a practical aid to fixing the inaccuracies of the Special Navy kit:

Undoubtedly, much of the photoetch is far too fragile for use in a practical RC, but the combination of 1:1 (in 1:72 scale) drawings and drain hole templates seem to make this a bargain, even if the finer detail stays on the fret. (My photoetch came in last week and it's exceptionally good stuff.)

Perhaps the Caswell Empire will soon gather these items for sale and task a certain merry man with adapting his subdriver and Type VII fittings expertise to making this kit R/C ready. This would make a great Christmas present...
    Last edited by Outrider; 03-25-2010, 03:26 PM. Reason: Improvements.
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Very good stuff you presented there, Outrider. I'm interested.

Mike? ....

David,
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• pjdog
      Commander
      • Apr 2009

1/72 Type IIA S/D development?

Is there any thought of Caswell Inc. creating an S/D for the new Special Navy 1/72 scale German Type IIA Sub? Or is all effort going into production and torpedo development.

Jack

Comment

• Outrider
        Commander
        • Aug 2008

Courtesy of Jan Klaebek, I just got a copy of:

Vom Original zum Modell: Uboottyp II - Die "Einbăume"
        By Eberhard Rőssler
        Bernard & Graefe Verlag
        ISBN: 3-7637-6023-7

It's in German, but the photos and drawings don't need translation. Very interesting material on the boats that were transported overland (probably a mix of roads and water) to the Black Sea. I think several of these survived the war and were later scuttled off Turkey.

I also found this site that talks about the company set up in the Netherlands to avoid limitations on German submarine development dictated by the Versailles Peace Treaty:

Last edited by Outrider; 09-03-2009, 09:39 AM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

I love those boats! Do you have an ISBN number for that book?

David,

Oh, **** ... you did. Sorry.
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Outrider
            Commander
            • Aug 2008

New build reference for the Type IIA. It's U-4, circa 1935. See it here:

Also, here's a link to the Type IIB that was featured in Fine Scale Modeler earlier this year. This is a conversion of the Special Navy Type IIA kit.

Last edited by Outrider; 05-18-2010, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Working...