• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • profesorul
    Lieutenant
    • Mar 2010

NAUTILUS SSN - 571 First Nuclear Submarine

HELLO ,

I'm thinking very seriously for some time on the first Nuclear submarine , Nautilus SSN 571 ....

I started looking on the INTERNET and stored in the computer all I could found ....
    Unfortunately I saw that , although there is been so many years , sense was launched / decommissioned , shapes plan and / or crossed sections of the submarine are not made public or at least declassified ( or did not know where to look ) ....

Therefore I thought to open a new thread with this Subject with the hope in my heart that there are something somewhere available ....
    Many Thanks in advance to All for any information regarding this submarine .....

As to be understood about how I would like to do this project - if I have gathered enough information :
    - mainly all I need are some decent external drawings and cross sections plan ,
    - I'd like to build this submarine in old fashion way - the keel / ribs / casing , etc like the sail ships where don ,
    - then I need to know where was the position of the ballast tank and how they looks like , or some fuel tanks situated ,
    - I intend to unite couple spaces , seal them and using some “syringe / piston” system to control the trimming .

For the moment I'm not concern about the scale .
    Maybe no more than 1Meter long and 8-10 cm wide .
    As a referince I post some pictures :

MARIUS
  • Von Hilde
    Rear Admiral
    • Oct 2011

HERE YA GOClick image for larger version

Name:	571_line_drawinglarge.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	98222 A visit to the boat itself at the museum would help. If you cant go in person try the virtual tours. I usually get a small scale plastic model to have as a referance when I scratch build, I have built several boats from the keel up with nothing but drawings and pictures. Doing one right now in fact on another thread, in metal to boot.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Von Hilde
      HERE YA GO[ATTACH=CONFIG]30991[/ATTACH] A visit to the boat itself at the museum would help. If you cant go in person try the virtual tours. I usually get a small scale plastic model to have as a referance when I scratch build, I have built several boats from the keel up with nothing but drawings and pictures. Doing one right now in fact on another thread, in metal to boot.
      Careful! Weisswasser plans are notoriously flawed -- at least all the submarine drawings I've seen that he's rendered. Find the Christly drawings -- best I know of in the public domain.

M
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• profesorul
        Lieutenant
        • Mar 2010

THANK YOU BOTH for the efforts .

MARIUS

Comment

• Von Hilde
          Rear Admiral
          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
          Careful! Weisswasser plans are notoriously flawed -- at least all the submarine drawings I've seen that he's rendered. Find the Christly drawings -- best I know of in the public domain.

M
          "PLANS? WE DONE NEED NO STEENKIN PLANS!!" I can carve out. a Beatle's Yellow Submarine from a potato with a grapefruit spoon and a cartoon picture of the boat off the album cover. Your right about smartwater or any drawings that arnt from the BUWEPS. When the Nautilus commissioned OPSEC set in and any secret stuff was cryptoed, when Revell and Monogram got their "sets of drawings". Russians tried to de engenere from the kits. Around 1960 there was a big FLAP about a cutaway of a Nuke, and the Navy went DARK. No more un edited drawings. However for accurate drawings of the balast system lay out, for the tanks, one could go thru the back door and get the Diesel Electric, (Now General Dynamics), drawings for the Tang or Trout boats. Not so classified, compartmental placement information. Good stuff , Melvin, if you know where to get them. Tang compartmental layoutClick image for larger version

Name:	Tang hull drawing.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	98231
          Last edited by Von Hilde; 04-21-2015, 08:05 AM.

Comment

• profesorul
            Lieutenant
            • Mar 2010

THANK YOU @ Von HILDE ,

I understood that being a NUKE sub the plans are steel "Top Secret" .
            I thought if I'm not asking about Wat's inside the compartments I steel can find guest some crossed sections plans about how the ballast tanks looks , or the outer shell and the ribs along the pressure hull compartment !!! .

Those Company ho made the Plastic / Resin kits where did they get the Exact Shape and all that exterior features in order to Respect the original Submarin and that Model to be a Scale Replica ?!?!?! .
            Other wise what's the point to produce something only to have something in Production ?!?!?! .
            Is guest my Humble Opinion as a newbie .

MARIUS

Comment

• Von Hilde
              Rear Admiral
              • Oct 2011

Originally posted by profesorul
              THANK YOU @ Von HILDE ,

I understood that being a NUKE sub the plans are steel "Top Secret" .
              I thought if I'm not asking about Wat's inside the compartments I steel can find guest some crossed sections plans about how the ballast tanks looks , or the outer shell and the ribs along the pressure hull compartment !!! .

Those Company ho made the Plastic / Resin kits where did they get the Exact Shape and all that exterior features in order to Respect the original Submarin and that Model to be a Scale Replica ?!?!?! .
              Other wise what's the point to produce something only to have something in Production ?!?!?! .
              Is guest my Humble Opinion as a newbie .

MARIUS

The Momogram, Revell and Lindburg companies got drawings from the Navy and The Electric Boat company in late 1953. The kits were introduced in 1954-55 No attention was made to great detail or accuracy. Money, was the reason for production indifferance to detail. The kids bought all they could get. Hyped advertisment in the 1950s sold all products. The $1.98 models still can be had on the antique model sites, in the original box for exorbid prices. Hundreds of dollars if still wrapped in plast and the box colors not faded, I guess their plan worked well these past 50 years or so. If you want real accurate drawings You will have to use the USS Tang as a referance for the bulkhead and balast tank lay outs. You need Blue prints from General Dynamics Corp. or copies there of. or google USS Tang blueprints. Blueprints.com is a site that has some drawings, and perhaps for the Nautilus as well

Comment

• profesorul
                Lieutenant
                • Mar 2010

THANKS ,

Even those are great information . I look for it and I wheel keep on post .

MARIUS

Comment

• Aug 2008

THANKS ,

Even those are great information . I look for it and I wheel keep on post .

MARIUS

Stop obsessing over the NAUTILUS!!

You have a plate full with the LA. FINISH the LA and getting it running first; don't do anything else but the LA till that project is done to your satisfaction.

Then, and only then, move on to YOUR NAUTILUS project.

Too many projects on the table means none of them will get done!

M
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• profesorul
                    Lieutenant
                    • Mar 2010

@ He Who Shall Not Be Named ,

You are Absolutely Right about my LA .
                    The research I do , I do it only Knight ( and can't make noise - I'm living on a small apartment on a building ) , or when I have to Little time before I go to work and I can't work on LA .
                    I don't have work shop space . I work on kitchen table - when I get the anought time to bring some tools and materials from different places where I keep them .
                    And if my phone rings I can't leave all those on table , you realize that . That's way is taking so much time to do something on any project .
                    I don't have a Regular Job with a certain Program , my job depending on a phone call from my boss .

For the NAUTILUS I don't do anything else , then gathering Information / Pictures / sketches , maybe eventually some Plans / drawings .

MARIUS

Comment

• Aug 2008

@ He Who Shall Not Be Named ,

You are Absolutely Right about my LA .
                      The research I do , I do it only Knight ( and can't make noise - I'm living on a small apartment on a building ) , or when I have to Little time before I go to work and I can't work on LA .
                      I don't have work shop space . I work on kitchen table - when I get the anought time to bring some tools and materials from different places where I keep them .
                      And if my phone rings I can't leave all those on table , you realize that . That's way is taking so much time to do something on any project .
                      I don't have a Regular Job with a certain Program , my job depending on a phone call from my boss .

For the NAUTILUS I don't do anything else , then gathering Information / Pictures / sketches , maybe eventually some Plans / drawings .

MARIUS
                      Fair enough, Marius.

M
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...