X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gadgetman
    Ensign
    • Oct 2010

Col'n a 5.4M Manned Model Sub

Hi, I got a lot of info off this site a few years back. To say thanks I thought I'd post details of my Collins class 'sub'.

First thing: it does not submerge, er well it was never designed to submerge! As I'm in it the thought of being trapped and drowning in a sinking sub put me right off. It does however look very cool on the water and fools a lot of people. It's hard to gauge the size at a distance. Construction is marine ply, meranti, urethane foam, fibreglass and epoxy. Powered by a 45lb thrust electric trolling motor running off a 100A/hr deep cycle (vented) lead acid battery. The sub is radio controlled, from the shore or lying in it. Only my head is above the deck and it's like a recumbent bicycle, comfortable but not roomy! As my weight is low down and the sub has a flat bottom, the hull is very stable, cheers, Andy

Attached Files
  • Von Hilde
    Rear Admiral
    • Oct 2011

If I built something like that around here, I would be boarded by FWC, Coast Guard, Monroe County Sherriff's boats, and the Homeland security vessels, every time it left the dock. If only for a safety check, and curiousity.

Comment

• Gadgetman
      Ensign
      • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Von Hilde
      If I built something like that around here, I would be boarded by FWC, Coast Guard, Monroe County Sherriff's boats, and the Homeland security vessels, every time it left the dock. If only for a safety check, and curiousity.
      Yes, I've travelled in the US and appreciate what you are saying. I live in Adelaide, South Australia where 6 Collins class boats were built. As I'm in it, it's a powered vessel and had to be registered, fitted with Hull Identification plates and carry the required safety equipment. It was a 'moment' when I went to the government office and showed a picture of the 'sub' I wanted to register!

Comment

• Von Hilde
        Rear Admiral
        • Oct 2011

I believe if I made one similar, but dynamic diver, foam filled ballast tank and have the waterline trimmed to the hull deck. If anything terrible happens take it out of gear and pop up. Definately have an escape system just in case, like an air bottle or minitank scuba. I live on an island but it gets deep quick. Dont want to go deep anyway. It is a rather unique vessel, it would turn some heads in my cannal. or at the gas pump down at the marina.

Comment

Working...